The Last of Us

Generations

2 minutes ago, Generations said:

"Faithful" is a loaded question, IMO.

I think it's faithful to presenting the overall characters and the theme. - But, I think it falls short in other areas...like the actual infected and the city as a whole. - In the video games, the environment always felt like a character itself...and I'm really not sure I can say that they nailed that feeling in the show. - It's definitely a show that is more about people and less about survival horror. Which is fine...(since the games were the same way). But, the show does sacrifice a bit too much in that regard, IMO.

Also, I think season 1 tried to be far too ambitious in powering through the events of the first game. - If you never played the games, you probably wouldn't have a problem with the way that anything was done in the show...but, as someone who loved both games, it's hard to see how quickly they flew right past a lot of key moments. (It was almost like they were trying to get the game content out of the way so they could begin doing something else in the next season). - It stands to reason that season 2 would reflect the second game...but I'm not sure if it will after how intentionally quick they flew through the events of the first game. 

Interesting, thank you for the analysis. Would you say it's still worth checking out in spite of everything?

4 minutes ago, CROSS-Out said:

Interesting, thank you for the analysis. Would you say it's still worth checking out in spite of everything?

Oh yeah. It's a great show.

Also, it has plenty of easter eggs and love letters to fans of the video games. - it definitely knows where it comes from, and doesn't disappoint in that regard. - It just does a lot of things in the typical hurried way that you get with television in general.

Archived