The Last of Us

Generations

Honestly, this could use its own thread.

Try to be considerate of others when posting spoilers. (Use spoiler tags and include which episode they pertain to.)

I was just watching a video about all of the times Joel and Sarah could have been infected in the first episode of the show, and it's kind of crazy in retrospect:

First, Joel forgot the pancake mix, so they couldn't eat pancakes for breakfast. Then the neighbors offered them biscuits, but they declined. Later, the neighbor offered Sarah cookies...but she didn't want them, because they were raisin and not chocolate chip. And lastly, Joel forgot to buy a birthday cake when he finally returned home. - Since they later revealed that the outbreak spread through the grain supply...they literally dodged being infected 4 times in the first episode. - I never even thought about this in the context of the show itself...and it's pretty crazy to think about it now.

Thanks Jeb. Appreciate it.

CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 6

The bonding with Joel and Ellie is great. I like how they showed Joel at his weakest moment, having broken down talking to Tommy. Some changes I like, some...well, weren't needed tbh. But I'm loving the show and can't wait for the next

My only judgement of the show thus far, is that it feels like it's going a bit too fast...and they chose to cut a number of pretty big moments out of the game, as it pertains to things that would have/should have already happened. - Entire locales...like the wharf, the subway, the school. These were memorable parts of the story in the first game. So, it's somewhat alarming to go back and look at the game, and be like "wait...they just never did this part"...

24 minutes ago, Generations said:

My only judgement of the show thus far, is that it feels like it's going a bit too fast...and they chose to cut a number of pretty big moments out of the game, as it pertains to things that would have/should have already happened. - Entire locales...like the wharf, the subway, the school. These were memorable parts of the story in the first game. So, it's somewhat alarming to go back and look at the game, and be like "wait...they just never did this part"...

Yeah, agreed. I mean I'm glad that it isn't 100% like for like, but they should've included the key moments from the first game thus far.

Also, I think they literally already said that season 2 of the show will be Part 2 of the game...and that also seems like way too sudden of a shift, considering that there are only 4 episodes left of season 1. - Not sure why they feel intent on burning through a lot of the established material...and I have some concerns about the show outpacing the games at this point. Like...will Part 3 be out before the show starts writing its own narrative? I hope so.

1 hour ago, Generations said:

Completely agree. Their decision to spend most of episode 3 with Bill and Frank I thought was a huge miscalculation because it took a substantial amount of bonding time away from Joel and Ellie which is something that is pretty damn essential for a show like this. The last act of last night’s episode was a pretty big misstep, too. It felt way to rushed and I thought it was a shame that they didn’t have more of

Ellie helping a wounded Joel escape the University. It’s such a great emotional moment in the game that helped build their bond even more. Plus, it was quite suspenseful and cinematic, which I thought the show was lacking a bit of last night.

Ep 7/Left Behind spoilers:

Shadow-dropping 'Take on Me' by A-Ha during the mall scene was an emotional kamikaze I was not prepared for. - Got those damn LoU2 guitar feels. Also, the carousel version of 'Just Like Heaven' by the Cure was goddamn beautiful. I never played the Left Behind DLC for the game...so I don't know if that was something that was taken from there...but, lord...that was a moving rendition.

Ep.7 | Left Behind Spoilers

Loved seeing the background to Ellie's character, having played the DLC? I can say, it was done wonderfully. Joel holding her hand at the end as she stitched him up? Man, that was a wonderful moment.

Popping in to say that I really love this show.

Personally I'm completely fine with some parts from the game being missed/changed since they still hit all the really important story beats, which I think have been done really well. Helps make the show stand out on it's own rather than be a complete 1:1 version with the game, which would make it seem redundant.

I'm pretty confident with Bella Ramsey being able to lead when they cover Part 2. They've been fantastic, especially in episode 7, hoping they keep it up since next episode is massive for Ellie.

I met Bella about 5 years ago when she came up here to do some studio work for CBBC, and she barely looks like she's older. Like she looks a bit taller now, but when she has her hair down she could easily still pass for a 13/14 year old.

Nice person too by the way. Came across as very humble.

People calling LoU a "zombie show" really devalues it, tbh. - None of the infected are dead. They are all living people who are infected by a fungus. Calling them zombies makes it easy to forget that murdering your neighbor or best friend is still killing that person. 

Idk. It’s semantics. They’re infected people, but they’re effectively zombies since they act and operate just like them pretty much.

Speaking of infected, I hope we get more in these last couple episodes. I feel like they’ve been lacking in that area. You gotta make us feel the danger of the infected and to do that you gotta have the characters interact with them a bit more.

I know what you mean about the term "zombie" and I get that. Hell...I even thought about that when I was typing what I typed. But...if someone is telling their friend about a show and they say "it's a zombie show"...I just feel like that misses the mark here. The show has much deeper meaning if you think about those people still existing in their bodies.

Episode 9 spoiler

Ah...the giraffe scene.

Joel's rambo moment. Nice.

This whole episode seems too soon, honestly. They rushed this whole season just to coincide with the game's timeline. - Shouldn't have wasted entire episodes on stuff like Bill's town...

Also, they made Joel more cold blooded and unlikable in the show than they did in the game. The game felt way more satisfying and justified...IMO.

Honestly...that was the most unsatisfied by the finale of a show that I've been in a long time.

I become more displeased the more that I think about it.

I actually really enjoyed the finale. The way they depicted Joel’s hospital massacre felt a bit colder, but I still felt the core motive behind it ultimately had heart and passion for Ellie as a human being. The person that came off colder to me was Marlene, which I like. In fact, I feel like the show ended up making her character even colder than her game counterpart. Unlike the game, Marlene never had an intimate connection with Ellie; she didn’t raise her — she apparently only “watched from afar” or whatever. So the way I see it, Marlene was never invested in Ellie as a human-being in the show at all. She saw her less as a person with a life and feelings and more of a means to an end. And yeah, I feel like the show went even further with that than the game did by not having her have a close relationship with Ellie, so to me that makes what Joel did even more sympathetic and understandable.

Anyway,  I liked the addition of Ellie’s birth as well as Joel talking about his failed suicide attempt. Really good stuff that added to show. What I didn’t like is once again the lack of infected. I don’t get why they can’t find the time to actually show the danger that they possess. Big miss there.

Okay...I appreciated the season finale more after watching it for a second time. (This show is always like this for me, tbh.) - I've literally watched every single episode twice, and I feel like it was necessary for most of them. 

Somehow, I never noticed that Ellie's mom was actually Ashley Johnson (Ellie's voice actress from the game). - Watching it the second time, I caught this immediately and was like "Wow...how did I miss that?" Also...it's crazy how accurate Bella was able to do her Ellie voice. Because, yeah...it's really similar to Ashley Johnson's voice. So much so, that my mom (who knows nothing about the games outside of the show) immediately thought the pregnant woman was supposed to be Ellie and was like "Are you sure that isn't her? It sounds like her." Lol

I haven't checked the show out yet as I don't have the means to watch it easily and have had my focus on other things. How is it? Would you guys say its faithful to the game? Obviously Pedro Pascal is a plus but I don't want a repeat of the Dragons Dogma situation..

3 hours ago, CROSS-Out said:

I haven't checked the show out yet as I don't have the means to watch it easily and have had my focus on other things. How is it? Would you guys say its faithful to the game? Obviously Pedro Pascal is a plus but I don't want a repeat of the Dragons Dogma situation..

"Faithful" is a loaded question, IMO.

I think it's faithful to presenting the overall characters and the theme. - But, I think it falls short in other areas...like the actual infected and the city as a whole. - In the video games, the environment always felt like a character itself...and I'm really not sure I can say that they nailed that feeling in the show. - It's definitely a show that is more about people and less about survival horror. Which is fine...(since the games were the same way). But, the show does sacrifice a bit too much in that regard, IMO.

Also, I think season 1 tried to be far too ambitious in powering through the events of the first game. - If you never played the games, you probably wouldn't have a problem with the way that anything was done in the show...but, as someone who loved both games, it's hard to see how quickly they flew right past a lot of key moments. (It was almost like they were trying to get the game content out of the way so they could begin doing something else in the next season). - It stands to reason that season 2 would reflect the second game...but I'm not sure if it will, after how intentionally quick they flew through the events of the first game. 

Archived