Official WWE 2K23 Info/Discussion Thread

Jeb ★

8 minutes ago, TheNoOneM1 said:

I was never someone who hated on Yuke's. I always counted on them to develop good games. Only games I didn't like from them were WM X8, SvR 08, SvR 09 and 2K15. Every other game they Developed was good to great to the greatest (2K19) IMO. You're not wrong in the sense that people over the years would blame them for certain things though but I think they took them for granted. They are the most experienced team ever when it comes to Wrestling video games.

You're entitled to your opinion to like 2K22 but to say it's the "best WWE simulation in the history of the series"? How???

How many times do people do that weird shuffling stance? How many people do Collar and Elbows more than once or twice and outside of the first few moments of a match? How many people link Collar and Elbows into a Chokeslam or a Backbreaker? How many people rest their hands on their opponent's shoulders in the corner before doing Shoulder Thrusts? How many people bend over and tap their grounded opponent's knee and shoulder before performing a Soccer Ball Kick?

Starting at the time I linked, for like 45-50 seconds Gigi does that last example I gave over and over and over again. The same thing happens in 2K22.

man WM X8 on GameCube was soooo disappointing. Ppl think i hate 2k22. I'd rather play 2K22 than WM X8...thats for sure

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, The Nerd said:

Micro transactions aside I want to talk gameplay if EA ever made a WWE game. I loved UFC 4’s gameplay. I love their idea of how submissions and chain submissions/advanced submissions work. That could fit extremely well in a WWE game. Also the way the strikes hit and feel could flow well in an EA made wrestling game. The way the presentation looks, the lighting. Of course UFC and WWE aren’t produced or visually presented the same on tv or video games but the lightning and models would be outstanding. Not to say 2K’s models and graphics aren’t amazing? They’re amazing for sure. Top notch for the most part. But I feel unpopular as it may be, the good would outweigh the bad if EA took over. It’s never happening. So this doesn’t even matter but man, I genuinely would want to see what they could do within 2 games. I can go on. I’ve been thinking about it for almost a decade. An EA produced and made WWE game. *Censored*. Now of course as you mentioned micro transactions a would be present for sure. I’m not sure to the extent though. I’m sure there would be other minor negatives. Gameplay wise however, that doesn’t scare me in the slightest. Many people beg for only simulation in the 2K series and EA does simulation better in their game than 2K has ever imo. I stand on that. Again, it’s never happening. Just a dream or whatever I guess. 

i would almost like to see someone try to really reinvent the way we think about wrestling games. Where the matches aren't a competition against ur opponent. But a collaboration.

I would like to see someone try using the analog sticks for moves. As much as i like SKATE and the Tony Hawk games, the newest skateboarding game "Sesssion" really opened my eyes. It takes what SKATE did with the analog stick controls and really pushes that idea further.

I think like the game Session, it would be complicated but rewarding. Having to do something like Pull both analog sticks down then quickly push them up to jump then smash both sticks to the right. To pull off a Dropkick. Try to simulate the actions with the sticks as ur legs and maybe the triggers represent each arm?

too many times in a WWE game, i just feel like i have no control. Like im just waiting for a canned animation to end. 

Edited by eastcoastkody

Idk personally outside of not having tired finshers, the weird  fighting/shuffling stances that look dumb, and the grappling collar and elbows lock up for every grapple though I find it odd people aren't complaining about it in the AEW game, I'm fine with the gameplay.

I don't like that the AEW has Grapple Clinches either but the game doesn't really take itself as a Simulation unlike the WWE games.

I love AEW and Yuke's but I'm not sure if I'm even going to get that. If I'm playing a Wrestling game, I want Sim style and 2K19 is my best bet to scratch that itch.

1 minute ago, TheNoOneM1 said:

I don't like that the AEW has Grapple Clinches either but the game doesn't really take itself as a Simulation unlike the WWE games.

I love AEW and Yuke's but I'm not sure if I'm even going to get that. If I'm playing a Wrestling game, I want Sim style and 2K19 is my best bet to scratch that itch.

I feel you, like I said I do miss some sim aspects, mostly tired finshers and some parts of chain wrestling.

13 minutes ago, crazyjk4 said:

Idk personally outside of not having tired finshers, the weird  fighting/shuffling stances that look dumb, and the grappling collar and elbows lock up for every grapple though I find it odd people aren't complaining about it in the AEW game, I'm fine with the gameplay.

its kinda Apples to Oranges. The AEW game is purposefully trying to replicate No Mercy. Its a retro style game. 

meanwhile the WWE 2k22 changed everything about the gameplay. To make it more of like a fast arcadey fighting game. But it still has the same name and art design. So to me it was a complete snake move

If they had changed the gameplay and made new fighting game or arcadey beefed up models for a WWE side game....and called it something else, fine. But they threw the baby out with the bathwater and reintroduced problems we had like 20 years ago. That had been fixed long ago.

Can't wait to get my hands on the AEW game. To see for myself. But from all the footage, it looks closer to a wrestling sim than the 2k games now. Albeit an N64 style wrestling sim

1 minute ago, crazyjk4 said:

I feel you, like I said I do miss some sim aspects, mostly tired finshers and some parts of chain wrestling.

There's a lot I miss from 2K19 but if I had to pick 3 things it would be getting rid of the Clinches (thus having a Strike Button, Grapple Button, and Irish Whip button like 2K19), bringing back Body Morphing in CAW Mode and fixing the Stances.

If they had those things I would've bought the game, especially with the A.I. Tendency Logic settings. As someone who doesn't like the Blocking and Combos I can completely turn those off and never perform them myself which is cool.

I’ll be turning off carry moves for most of the roster. Hardly anyone does those. Only a few actually do them. Also, the block & dodge mechanic for almost everyone. Only a select few and I mean a select few do that. So putting it to zero for most of the roster would help greatly. No more Hogan or Yokozuna doing that dumb dodge shit. 

2 minutes ago, WolfpacPrinxe said:

I’ll be turning off carry moves for most of the roster. Hardly anyone does those. Only a few actually do them. Also, the block & dodge mechanic for almost everyone. Only a select few and I mean a select few do that. So putting it to zero for most of the roster would help greatly. No more Hogan or Yokozuna doing that dumb dodge shit. 

yeh im really hoping Jmann or whoever on day 1, can test that out. I still have a ton of issues with the game regardless. But it will go a long way to making the gameplay especially against the CPU, not feel terrible to me.  If blocking, dodging, carry moves, diving,  combos etc...can all be set to ZERO. 

and especially INSTANT RECOVERY.  im sick of hitting a big move and the CPU just shrugs it off and gets up 4 seconds later.

4 minutes ago, WolfpacPrinxe said:

Those tendency sliders are a gift from god, gonna be a major game changer for gameplay imo if they work properly.

Thankfully, Instant Recovery usage is one of the Traits Kody.

If we're talking the default roster, I'd have them set Moderate for people like Undertaker, Kane, Shawn Michaels, Goldberg, The Rock, Brock Lesnar and probably completely off for practically anyone else. 

Again, I'm not saying the new gameplay is perfect. I want things like tired moves and chain wrestling back too. I'm just saying overall the steps forward outweigh the steps backward to me. In 2K19, you could irish whip/powerbomb/suplex a completely fresh opponent without any resistance. I'll take striking first or grappling for a millisecond first any day. 2K19's idea of "stamina" was having a wrestler's knee superglued to the floor as they were starting to get up to show their "fatigue". I'm dying for the old fatigued moves too, but 2K19 didn't have those happening organically either. The fatigue in 2K23 is the best we've seen in this series since 2K16. And if we're talking glitches, 2K19 had the issue where wrestlers with top rope finishers wound up endlessly walking into the corner, apparently on an invisible treadmill, unable to climb the ropes or abort mission and go for something else. Not exactly gritty realism there. And we have wear down holds in the current gameplay. What we don't have is a working hold minigame that literally puts a giant circle over top of the match. I consider that addition by subtraction.

Everything I'm not a fan of (instant recovery, carry moves for cruiserweights, moves certain wrestlers never do) can be turned down or turned completely off via the AI sliders. Between the changes to the gameplay and the significantly deeper control over what the AI uses and doesn't use, I don't see how anyone couldn't have the best experience they've had in the series with this game. 

Moving on to the stuff that dropped today, I'm liking the look of MyRise. The men's story seems to be very self-aware, and the women's travels through time a bit, which is something I've clamored for on the official forums for years. I'm hoping in the future they either do a MyRise story that starts in the past and ends in the present or 2K20 Originals style DLC where they do actual wrestling canon-centric stories in various eras filled with alts, weapon skins, arenas, etc.

1 hour ago, SaturnT3 said:

And if we're talking glitches, 2K19 had the issue where wrestlers with top rope finishers wound up endlessly walking into the corner, apparently on an invisible treadmill, unable to climb the ropes or abort mission and go for something else. Not exactly gritty realism there.

I think I got about 2200 hours between the PS4 and PC versions and I don't recall this. Just did a match with 3 finishers to test this out a few times and it was never an issue

8 minutes ago, TheNoOneM1 said:

I think I got about 2200 hours between the PS4 and PC versions and I don't recall this. Just did a match with 3 finishers to test this out a few times and it was never an issue

It happens when you're low on stamina. The idea is that you're too tired to climb the ropes. You can do a standing shooting star press, you just can't lift your foot up onto the bottom rope. You know, because you're too tired. 

11 hours ago, SaturnT3 said:

For years a lot of people insisted Yuke's was the problem and needed to go. Then 2K/VC dropped the ball with 2K20 and suddenly the same people insisted Yuke's leaving was the problem. Now people want EA? I think they got things back on track with 2K22 and 2K23 looks like a big step in the right direction. Still not perfect by any means, but top to bottom 2K22 is the best WWE simulation in the history of the series. From what we've seen, 2K23 will probably take that title. There's no way 2K23 bombs. People have voted with their wallets. Most voted in favor of the current direction. I'm not surprised at all that 2K is sticking what works for the majority of the community.

Lets not ignore the fact that many vote with their Wallets because its a must for them.
There are many that do commisions to pay for their rent etc and rely on being part of the yearly cycle.
The Content Creator who are having an base because of the games, need the games for that too.
The Fed people etc see it as their "job" to get the game and all.

I dont doubt many had fun with 2k22, but let us not act like the Majority is super happy with the game.
The Majority of the community doesnt like the combo system, doesnt like that Myfaction hides models in the mode, doesnt like the creation suite restrictions etc.

It is not as simply as some might want to have it.

As for Developers of the series...it matters little who is making the games if they dont have the money or time.
VC can do more, you see that on many corners that they could make more out of this series.
But they dont have the time for it, they dont have enough people and money to do that.
They have a set budget, time and people that make these games...same as any other developer would have.
As long as 2K and the WWE dont put more money into the series to make, the results will not be there were we all would like to see them.

https://www.operationsports.com/everything-we-learned-about-wwe-2k23s-myrise-and-myfaction/

Developer Q&A On MyFaction

Question: “MyFaction offers us live service mechanics like new or old gimmicks. Will they transport over to the normal game after unlocking them? Or will it be 100% exclusive to MyFaction?”

Answer: “Currently, the way that the system works is it is exclusive to MyFaction. And the reason behind that is that is when we’re making the decision to move forward with the live team, it’s a very small team that’s running MyFaction throughout the year while the rest of the development team is busy working on the next iteration of the game. If we were to pull every person that has to be involved with creating characters — like full-on characters from entrances, victory scenes, commentary, all of the things that go into making a character — that next version of the game will never get done.

So there are certain concessions we have to make in order for us to create these characters and offer updates to the superstars that are constantly evolving without impacting, or hurting, or jeopardizing the next version of the game. So one day, hopefully, we’re hoping to grow that live ops team, but we try to do our best to make sure that we are trying to hit some of those high-profile updates throughout the year for MyFaction.”