Official WWE 2K23 Info/Discussion Thread

Jeb ★

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby said:

He has multiple ways. That is the primary 

Excellent, that's the way it should be. Now we just need to convince someone to use my old "tie multiple animations of the same move to a single finisher slot" idea and variety can be the spice of life.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AEW Fight Forever allows up to five signatures and finishers per wrestler, and I was really hoping this would be the year that 2K gave us more special move slots. I'd love to be able to assign all the various Attitude Adjustments and STFs as Cena's finishers, for example.

uzzeqoi2toj91.png

I also think 2K should include an optional "super finisher" slot like in WrestleMania XIX, Virtual Pro-Wrestling 2, and Wrestle Kingdom: use two (or three) stored specials to perform an extra finishing move that does additional damage. Undertaker could have the jumping Tombstone, Orton could have the punt kick, and so on.

Edited by RyanCE

12 minutes ago, RyanCE said:

AEW Fight Forever allows up to five signatures and finishers per wrestler, and I was really hoping this would be the year that 2K gave us more special move slots. I'd love to be able to assign all the various Attitude Adjustments and STFs as Cena's finishers, for example.

uzzeqoi2toj91.png

I also think 2K should include an optional "super finisher" slot like in WrestleMania XIX, Virtual Pro-Wrestling 2, and Wrestle Kingdom: use two (or three) stored specials to perform an extra finishing move that does additional damage. Undertaker could have the jumping Tombstone, Orton could have the punt kick, and so on.

I like the idea of super finishers, but that doesn't really fit WWE. It worked great for a Japanese roster (especially in that era), but for a game that's supposed to be simulating WWE it's out of place in my opinion. I can see people who use these games to emulate wrestling other than WWE, but I don't think we'll ever see something like that in a WWE simulation game. 

15 minutes ago, RyanCE said:

uzzeqoi2toj91.png

Seeing this list makes me want a  middle rope V-Trigger for 2k23 too and a standing powerbomb into a knee strike combo.

10 minutes ago, SaturnT3 said:

I like the idea of super finishers, but that doesn't really fit WWE. It worked great for a Japanese roster (especially in that era), but for a game that's supposed to be simulating WWE it's out of place in my opinion. I can see people who use these games to emulate wrestling other than WWE, but I don't think we'll ever see something like that in a WWE simulation game. 

They're definitely still a thing in WWE-style matches. I used Undertaker's jumping Tombstone as an example because I remember a match where he kept getting near-falls from his regular Tombstone and was only able to win after jumping with it. The jumping Tombstone already exists in WWE 2K, but with only two finisher slots per wrestler it goes to waste -- the addition of super finishers would allow us to appropriately assign it to the wrestler it was animated for. And again, it would be a completely optional move slot -- most wrestlers wouldn't have a super finisher assigned to them by default, but it would help make those who need them much more fun to use.

5 minutes ago, RyanCE said:

They're definitely still a thing in WWE-style matches. I used Undertaker's jumping Tombstone as an example because I remember a match where he kept getting near-falls from his regular Tombstone and was only able to win after jumping with it. The jumping Tombstone already exists in WWE 2K, but with only two finisher slots per wrestler it goes to waste -- the addition of super finishers would allow us to appropriately assign it to the wrestler it was animated for. And again, it would be a completely optional move slot -- most wrestlers wouldn't have a super finisher assigned to them by default, but it would help make those who need them much more fun to use.

That makes sense. I thought you meant it would be a standard thing where everyone would have one. I don't see Reigns having some sort of "Super Superman Punch" having the same energy as Misawa busting out Tiger Driver 91, is what I was saying. I think things like the Avalanche RKO should fit that, but I'd want kicking out of it to be pretty much impossible too.

I don’t know what extra work goes into tightrope moves but Old School is there, and Shane McMahon’s coast to coast is there, where he takes a step to the side before leaping. Woods’ tightrope elbow drop seems entirely possible these days, since he only takes 2 steps to the side. I still want my Blazing Arrow in the game..

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxpFJkZwUMOeNDok9Qsrv4EkZymxEFYKWy

Edited by A N T I -

It's always been weird to me that people want new versions of existing moves just for the sake of them being new. I've always wanted this series to go the Fire Pro route and continually add in moves that are actually new and leave the ones they've already done alone. The Liger Bomb in Fire Pro has been in the series forever, because they did it right the first time and there's no reason to do another one. That's how they've compiled such a huge move list. I think replacing/fixing things that aren't broken holds this series back. I don't need a new Styles Clash. The one they added in 2K18 is still great. I don't care how much time has passed since they added it.

It's partially because move animations have an odd tendency to degrade as the years go by. I don't know what it is, but something clearly tends to lower the quality of some animations as they go. For instance, look at Aleister Black's Black Mass in 2K19, then look at the same animation in 2K22 and its clear something has happened. Same with Oney Lorcans running neckbreaker.

And of course there's also cases where a move we have just doesn't have a good animation in general.

My main problem with the Rolling Stunner is how could Waller do that in Royal rumble Steel Cage Hell in a Cell and by extension war games as well since you can’t roll to the outside there? Are they gonna give him the whippersnapper because that would be lazy if they do 

Edited by Mr155551

1 minute ago, Mr155551 said:

My main problem with the Rolling Stunner is how could Waller do that in Royal rumble Steel Cage Hell in a Cell and by extension war games as well since you can’t roll to the outside there? 

Well he did it in the steel cage match against Bron, while in the ring he just went to the corner and rolled and hit the Stunner, maybe he has a version like that in the game.

3 hours ago, Mr155551 said:

My main problem with the Rolling Stunner is how could Waller do that in Royal rumble Steel Cage Hell in a Cell and by extension war games as well since you can’t roll to the outside there? Are they gonna give him the whippersnapper because that would be lazy if they do 

I'm curious about a few things like this. With the new ring to ring springboard in War Games, what happens with moves like Gargano's slingshot spear?

Would they not be better off going to a style similar to what AKI did? 

Have finishers based on ring position? So for instance Cena can have the AA and double AA as his standing finishers, if the opponent is laying on the mat, hit a finisher and it’s the STF. If the opponent is in the corner, he does the avalanche AA. 

It can be the same for Orton, finishers as RKO’s, avalanche RKO is his corner finisher, or stand in the corner with the opponent on the mat and the punt kick is the finisher. 

That way people like Waller, and even Seth can have multiple versions of their finishers which can be hit from various positions. I’m not saying go full no mercy spirit meter on us, but surely tying finishers to positions makes more use of the moves they’ve spent time creating, instead of us having to pick two options and basically leave out the others. 

I mentioned AEW Fight Forever since five finisher slots would be much better than what we have now, but yeah, ideally we'd be able to assign up to two finishers per position. It would just be so nice to be able to have finishers set up like the following:

John Cena

• Standing Front 1: Attitude Adjustment
  • Standing Front 2: Drop Toe Hold to STF
  • Grounded Lower Body: STF
  • Corner vs. Grounded Opponent: Lightning Fist
  • Top Rope Front: Avalanche Attitude Adjustment
  • Super Finisher: Double Attitude Adjustment

Undertaker

• Standing Front 1: Tombstone Piledriver
  • Standing Front 2: The Last Ride
  • Grounded Upper Body: Hell's Gate
  • Super Finisher: Jumping Tombstone Piledriver

Shinsuke Nakamura

• Running: Kinshasa
  • Standing Front 1: Gut Kick to Kinshasa
  • Standing Front 2: Landslide
  • Grounded Lower Body: Stalking Kinshasa
  • Corner vs. Grounded Opp: Strong Style Knee Strike
  • Middle Rope vs. Standing Opp: Middle Rope Kinshasa
  • Super Finisher: Avalanche Landslide

I hate having to assign certain finishers as signatures or even regular moves because of the two slot limit.

On 2/21/2023 at 3:06 AM, Oscar22 said:

Appreciate I’m maybe banging a pointless drum, and I take the point about having less to work on means more time spent on fewer things. However watching this, and considering many of the moves shown have been in the game consistently for the twenty years since, I’m struggling to point out many occasions where 2k have improved the look of a twenty year old finisher animation. Quite a few have gone backwards (Bookers Axe kick). 

The sound effects in HCTP are so freaking satisfying. I think around a decade ago was the last time I played it; a Rumble match with two other friends, and it was the most fun I've had playing a wrestling game.

You whip your opponent towards the apron and strike them to eliminate them. Simple. Fun. Unpredictable. Hilarious at times. There was a risk/reward system at play, there was a constant threat of being eliminated. All because the animations weren't so hellbent on realism and 1v1 interaction.

I watched the recent 2k23 video of the Rumble match on UUDD. Wrestlers hanging onto the ropes before being eliminated in the same exact way, or waiting around for the next animation for their cue to do something instead of having to stay on their feet and make decisions on the spot. 

29 minutes ago, eastcoastkody said:

6e85Lvu.giftVvzniQ.gifGg36nhs.gif

okay, so you can use sliders to make Omos not do springboards "as much"....but are there sliders to stop everyone on the roster from doing this^

Yeah i don't get why they can't just give us the option of choosing each wrestlers stance in a match, that would solve that.