Official WWE 2K23 Info/Discussion Thread

Jeb ★

Appreciate I’m maybe banging a pointless drum, and I take the point about having less to work on means more time spent on fewer things. However watching this, and considering many of the moves shown have been in the game consistently for the twenty years since, I’m struggling to point out many occasions where 2k have improved the look of a twenty year old finisher animation. Quite a few have gone backwards (Bookers Axe kick). 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, CROSS-Out said:

Bookers axe kick looks great when the custom run animation triggers properly, the problem is it only does if the opponent is in a very specific spot of the ring.

Yeah, and the rest of the time he does that awful generic slow jog to the ropes and back before hitting a decent looking axe kick… which would look better had you not endured the dodgy looking run before it. 

Theres a few where improvements have been made over the years, Kanes opponent not ending up on their front after the choke slam, I think the rko is better, and having little s attached to moves is good. I just think in general in shows move animations have gone backwards in a lot of cases. 

While I do think HCTP moves do look and sound more impactful, I don't really like some of them having taunts or gestures at the end every time you hit said move. I will say looking at that video certain moves like the rock bottom and the stunner do look better then what we have currently. 

30 minutes ago, crazyjk4 said:

While I do think HCTP moves do look and sound more impactful, I don't really like some of them having taunts or gestures at the end every time you hit said move. I will say looking at that video certain moves like the rock bottom and the stunner do look better then what we have currently. 

I did nearly break many controllers having hit a Sweet chin music and needing to cover for a hard fought win, but Shawn is dancing across the ring to the opposite corner 😂

1 hour ago, crazyjk4 said:

on one hand, it makes the moves look great and personal. On the other hand it ruins the move for created wrestlers. They should've thought of a system long ago to either trigger or cancel that type of stuff.  We already have it to trigger if we want the pin combo in a move. 

One big example is when Sami Zayn had a unique Tilt-a-Whirl animation. He would do the move then a little taunt afterwards. For whatever reason they removed the taunt. but left the move in. So now we just have 2 tilt-a-whirl backbreakers that look about 99% exactly the same......for some reason?

I agree that there needs to be more moves that are unique to said wrestler. I mean they removed The Rock’s & Stone Cold’s standing light punches for some odd reason.  But there’s still moves in that are specific to wrestlers. Such as Nikki Cross’ Fisherman’s Neckbreaker, kneeling Sit Out Neckbreaker, her Inverted DDT from the seated position, among many more. More of those would make everyone play differently.  

Love how they act as if Ratings mean anything at all, who honestly gives a rats ass? A jobber with a rating of 70 can go toe to toe kicking out of finishers with a guy with a rating of 95.

Ratings have no effect at all in the game tbh, so until they make it where they do stop unveiling wrestlers ratings as if it means anything.

6 hours ago, Oscar22 said:

I agree with much of the point you’re making and it’s definitely a fair point, a larger roster could mean less time is spent on each wrestler. 

I think it’s also worth keeping in mind though  HCTP is twenty years old. They’ve got infinitely better hardware, better use of disk space and just everything they need to put a bit more effort in to the details. 

It’s a fiat point you make about time being spent, but I also feel that considering we had some of this level of detail 20 years ago some of it could have easily been carried forward to today. It’s not massive stuff, I’m just suggesting that Kane shouldn’t stand in the same stance as Austin, and some moves and strikes could be more suited to look like the actual ones done by those superstars, especially when they could basically copy the animations from twenty years ago and they’re already spot on. 

I mean we still have moves in the game that haven’t been reanimated since yukes made them. 

No It doesn't, I agree with what you're saying to a point but IMO It's just excuses for 2K spending their time elsewhere. IMO, If they really wanted to bring the back the essence of WWE Games they would add these features, slowly but surely. Anyways we're both talking out of our backsides right now because no matter what we say they won't change their gameplan. Like I said a few days ago, I wish someone in our community made videos about these games because then we would have some ammo to post and get it circulating when they drop the ball like they did with Trish/Lita's Models. 

1 hour ago, J-man89 said:

Love how they act as if Ratings mean anything at all, who honestly gives a rats ass? A jobber with a rating of 70 can go toe to toe kicking out of finishers with a guy with a rating of 95.

Ratings have no effect at all in the game tbh, so until they make it where they do stop unveiling wrestlers ratings as if it means anything.

Agree, ratings does not affect anything on this game. I am playing MyFaction just for the trophy achievement and I have a 99 Diamond Miz vs a 59 overall opponent and I got hit a few times and got a yellow body part immediately. Like how TF did that happen.

Ratings in WWE HCTP are far better and its a 20 year game.

Technically didn't THQ and Yukes get rid of a lot features we've been wanting back in these games for years, like 5 count holds, more crawling to the ropes submissions,  wrestler specific animations and moves, etc.  Not to say 2K haven't remove things that they added like pulling down the straps for certain wrestlers, face paint wearing off, tired finshers, etc. 

5 minutes ago, Jmerc said:

I’ve never understood why they make the rating reveals a key pillar of the campaign.

just do entrances and finishers like the old days! 

Exactly, I hate to say it but I miss the Old Days when Ledesma was in Charge because at least then they made Hype Trailers that showcased everything they worked on for that year. Something as simple as that would be  Great but when you only have 2-3 new things to offer I guess It doesn't paint your company in the best of light so I can see why they don't do that. :P

2K wants to do marketing for WWE 2K like NBA 2K where ratings matter. For me ratings does not matter much in wrestling games since it is just 5-8 categories unlike in NBA there is a lot. What is important for me is the AI Logic per wrestler. If what they mentioned in the interview is true that the AI Logic is improved then that would be cool. Really hate seeing wrestlers climbing the tope rope most of the time in the game when they rarely do it in real life.

1 hour ago, black_machismo said:

2K wants to do marketing for WWE 2K like NBA 2K where ratings matter. For me ratings does not matter much in wrestling games since it is just 5-8 categories unlike in NBA there is a lot. What is important for me is the AI Logic per wrestler. If what they mentioned in the interview is true that the AI Logic is improved then that would be cool. Really hate seeing wrestlers climbing the tope rope most of the time in the game when they rarely do it in real life.

Well take a look at this video here and have a listen, I hope It's a Game Changing as we all want it to be but you judge the video yourself. 

10 hours ago, Jmerc said:

I’ve never understood why they make the rating reveals a key pillar of the campaign.

just do entrances and finishers like the old days! 

Ratings have no effect ingame and are only used for marketing purposes (see FIFA as well). They generate comments (this person should be rated this, this person should be rated that) and that's all they want. Nobody cares about the actual ingame attributes (arm power, leg power, aerial offense, ...)