Official WWE 2K23 Info/Discussion Thread

Jeb ★

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've been thinking about the problem regarding the overexposure of the combo system and the grapples requiring a lock up, and i've come to a conclusion.

I honestly do not believe they needed to hurt their grapple system in order to introduce the combo system.

Allow me to explain. First lets look at how the controls used to work (Using PS4/5 buttons because thats the layout im familiar with, please substitute out for xbox buttons at your convenience). tapping square repeatedly gave you your characters combo, tapping square and a direction gave you one of four additional attacks for a total of five different light attacks. Holding square did the same for strong strikes for a grand total of five strong strikes per character. X was your grapple, with light tapping without a direction being the method to lock up for an additional 4 light grapples, plus tapping X and a direction for four medium grapples, and holding for 4 heavy grapples (holding X and a direction I believe used to be our method for locking in submissions from standing). Circle was our irish whip, with holding being the method for a strong irish whip.

In comparison and for reference, the new system in 2K22 works as follows. square, square+towards your opponent, and square+away from your opponent was the basis to start three different combo string sections. you then string various variations of square, X, and circle to achieve multiple combos within the section of the combos you started. X, X+towards, and X+away gives you three separate strong strikes, and circle initiates the lock up from which square and X gives us light and heavy grapples, and circle again gives us the irish whip. It is now notable that we have lost a certain amount of control to the combo system, we have less strong strikes to work with for instance.

Now, to my point. I do not believe concessions needed to be made in this control scheme and such to make way for the combo system. How i would've designed it is as follows.

tapping Square, and square in each direction, gives us the start of one of five combos (already giving us more strings than the current system per character), Holding square or square in a direction gives us one of five strong strikes, the X button works the same as it did prior to 2K22 where we get four to five light, medium, and heavy grapples, circle being irish whip. When a combo is initiated, THEN it can work as it does in 2K22; there is no reason the buttons actions cannot change when a combo is ongoing. this way we get even more combos per character to use, we get the old grapple system that doesn't force a lock up and access to more of them, we can still irish whip and strong irish whip, and we have full access to our strong strikes back, meaning if anything strike characters benefit even more instead of less from this system.

and to be honest, I can't help but feel theres no way 2K didn't consider this. I've been thinking about why they chose the current more limiting system over this and the most i can come up with is that they came up with this rock paper scissors reversal system for combos and realized it would be silly to only have it for combos; so they butchered the grapple system and shoehorned it into that too. But there's no reason for the reversal system to be complex, having reversals, dodges, and blocks is more than enough without forcing in the rockpaperscissors thing too. If its a matter of "well it turns the match into a reversal fest", then the reversal slots should've been kept in as an option (which it already was, you could go into the settings and turn them off at any time). People who want a back and forth match where they need to be careful with reversals keep it on, people who want reverse fests turn them off. Theres no reason to remove features if making them optional does the exact same thing but placates more people.

Do you guys prefer Universe Mode more over My GM? During my days with 2k22 I didn't touch MyGM at all. Being in charge of the brand was never really my thing because I found more enjoyment by just being the talent on the roster. With Universe Mode having more features in 2K23, I can't really imagine MyGM making as big of an impact.

2 hours ago, CROSS-Out said:

So I've been thinking about the problem regarding the overexposure of the combo system and the grapples requiring a lock up, and i've come to a conclusion.

I honestly do not believe they needed to hurt their grapple system in order to introduce the combo system.

Allow me to explain. First lets look at how the controls used to work (Using PS4/5 buttons because thats the layout im familiar with, please substitute out for xbox buttons at your convenience). tapping square repeatedly gave you your characters combo, tapping square and a direction gave you one of four additional attacks for a total of five different light attacks. Holding square did the same for strong strikes for a grand total of five strong strikes per character. X was your grapple, with light tapping without a direction being the method to lock up for an additional 4 light grapples, plus tapping X and a direction for four medium grapples, and holding for 4 heavy grapples (holding X and a direction I believe used to be our method for locking in submissions from standing). Circle was our irish whip, with holding being the method for a strong irish whip.

In comparison and for reference, the new system in 2K22 works as follows. square, square+towards your opponent, and square+away from your opponent was the basis to start three different combo string sections. you then string various variations of square, X, and circle to achieve multiple combos within the section of the combos you started. X, X+towards, and X+away gives you three separate strong strikes, and circle initiates the lock up from which square and X gives us light and heavy grapples, and circle again gives us the irish whip. It is now notable that we have lost a certain amount of control to the combo system, we have less strong strikes to work with for instance.

Now, to my point. I do not believe concessions needed to be made in this control scheme and such to make way for the combo system. How i would've designed it is as follows.

tapping Square, and square in each direction, gives us the start of one of five combos (already giving us more strings than the current system per character), Holding square or square in a direction gives us one of five strong strikes, the X button works the same as it did prior to 2K22 where we get four to five light, medium, and heavy grapples, circle being irish whip. When a combo is initiated, THEN it can work as it does in 2K22; there is no reason the buttons actions cannot change when a combo is ongoing. this way we get even more combos per character to use, we get the old grapple system that doesn't force a lock up and access to more of them, we can still irish whip and strong irish whip, and we have full access to our strong strikes back, meaning if anything strike characters benefit even more instead of less from this system.

and to be honest, I can't help but feel theres no way 2K didn't consider this. I've been thinking about why they chose the current more limiting system over this and the most i can come up with is that they came up with this rock paper scissors reversal system for combos and realized it would be silly to only have it for combos; so they butchered the grapple system and shoehorned it into that too. But there's no reason for the reversal system to be complex, having reversals, dodges, and blocks is more than enough without forcing in the rockpaperscissors thing too. If its a matter of "well it turns the match into a reversal fest", then the reversal slots should've been kept in as an option (which it already was, you could go into the settings and turn them off at any time). People who want a back and forth match where they need to be careful with reversals keep it on, people who want reverse fests turn them off. Theres no reason to remove features if making them optional does the exact same thing but placates more people.

Well said. I agree with this and it's crazy that they didn't do it this way. This eliminates the need for all those ugly grabs and collar and elbows. I'd add that the other positions could simply work how they always did too without the grabs before grapples like in the ropes, corner, ground, etc.

Edited by TheNoOneM1

8 minutes ago, CROSS-Out said:

I hope they dont continue their trend of removing moves and animations without a suitable replacement.

I have an Original CAW that uses Barrett's Bullhammer and Regal's Regalplex as Finishers... was I ever pissed when I got to the Finisher section (and the Bullhammer/Forearm Smash is still actually in the game elsewhere!!)

I know the gameplay is not going to be as I like but I really hope they’re doing tweaks all around to make it play out better and more logical. At least making stats matter to who plays more dominant and every match not needing more than one finisher (realistic if were an aew game lol).

Edited by NiceTwice