Vince McMahon Retires… And Unretires

Guest Fight Me.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vince was just accused of rape by a former ref the other day. Between this and all the other allegations... why would anyone want him back?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2022/12/13/vince-mcmahon-reportedly-facing-another-sexual-assault-allegation-and-wwe-referee-asks-for-millions-in-damages/?sh=2654fab93705

• 3 weeks later...

Vince McMahon Announces Intent To Return To WWE And Pursue A Sale

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that McMahon is now actively planning a return to WWE in order to pursue a sale of the company. In his attempt to do so, McMahon, who even after retirement maintained majority voting power, has appointed himself, George Barrios, and Michelle Wilson to WWE's board of directors.

McMahon will now need three other directors to vacate their positions, followed by board approval, to officially retake his post as WWE Chairman. In a press release made available shortly after The Wall Street Journal's report, McMahon confirmed his moves to retake the company, in order to spearhead a sale. "WWE is entering a critical juncture in its history with the upcoming media rights negotiations coinciding with increased industry-wide demand for quality content and live events and with more companies seeking to own the intellectual property on their platforms," McMahon said.

"The only way for WWE to fully capitalize on this opportunity is for me to return as Executive Chairman and support the management team in the negotiations for our media rights and to combine that with a review of strategic alternatives," McMahon continued. "My return will allow WWE, as well as any transaction counterparties, to engage in these processes knowing they will have the support of the controlling shareholder."

According to The Wall Street Journal, McMahon initially approached WWE about a return in December, with the intention of selling the company, but WWE, while telling McMahon they would work with him, rebuffed a return, believing it would not be in the best interest of shareholders. McMahon responded to the board that he would refuse to any sale or media-rights deal unless he could resume his old position.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1158354/vince-mcmahon-announces-intent-to-return-to-wwe-and-pursue-a-sale/

How much is a WWE worth? And who could foot that bill? Who would WANT to foot it?

The idea that Vince never left and he's just pulling strings from the shadows is always on my mind. I don't watch the product so I don't know if anything noticeably changed when he stepped down but he'll die running that sheeit just as he was destined to. Him resigning and legitimately having no involvement in the company was never a realistic scenario

I thought HHH and Stephanie already acquired more stock than Vince. I thought he sold a bunch when he left, and became a minority holder. Why did I think that? - Anyway, this dude is dead-set on ruining WWE if he can't have it. What reason would there even be for him to sell it? Just to screw over HHH? Shouldn't he want to leave WWE to his grandkids as a legacy?

Proving that he's a lunatic who can't comprehend that every single aspect of WWE is better without him. He'd rather destroy all progress than accept that the company he built is better without him. Very well might be how WWE dies.

Honestly, Vince might get what he wants...but, he played his hand as a pathetic little bitch. He'll be resented forever for this...by wrestlers and fans alike.

1 hour ago, Generations said:

He'll be resented forever for this...by wrestlers and fans alike.

There's a saying here that goes "I don't care how they remember me, as long as they remember me", might be his mentality too.

Anyways, *censored*ing gross... this year might mark the demise of WWE if he really gets back control. Jfc..

• PaperThinWalls changed the title to Vince McMahon Retires… And Unretires

Just read the whole transcript of the meeting they had today, and it is so bleak. Literally just like "Vince wants us to sell...it could be to someone like Disney or Netflix, or it could be a private buyer, or it might not sell at all." Then Stephanie goes on to tell people not to be scared or anxious, but it's obvious that no one is happy about this bullshit. Lol.

I don’t think it makes a difference. WWE was doing just fine these last few months without him business wise. And I’m sure they would have been able to negotiate WWE’s sale without him. As for creative, the change has been marginal (sadly), but I rather take Triple H’s quirks over Vince’s.

To me, this whole situation is more about Vince’s ego than anything else.

10 minutes ago, The Nerd said:

He’s here to save us from pushing people that won’t draw. 

Bruh...numbers have been up across the entire board since he left. Show has been more viewed in every way.

Define "draw" if you aren't talking about those same numbers...

Also, it's a myth that one person or another is a "bigger draw". - The thing that makes people watch is consistency in storytelling. - For example, I used to hate Reigns with a passion, because of how he was booked...but, I've loved everything about his current direction (because of how he is booked). - Vince handpicking people who he likes has always been ass. He never does long-term storytelling. He just tries to tell people who they should like.

Ricochet, can’t mic won’t draw. Hit Row are useless. CTRL was rejected by Vince and it’s pretty obvious now why. Zero impact, zero interest. I’ve always been huge on Reigns because I saw the bigger picture. Same with Cena. Vince was usually right about certain pushes stopping and starting and etc. it’s a tough pill to swallow for a lot. 

22 minutes ago, The Nerd said:

Ricochet, can’t mic won’t draw. Hit Row are useless. CTRL was rejected by Vince and it’s pretty obvious now why. Zero impact, zero interest. I’ve always been huge on Reigns because I saw the bigger picture. Same with Cena. Vince was usually right about certain pushes stopping and starting and etc. it’s a tough pill to swallow for a lot. 

First off, Ricochet was being pushed under Vince anyway. Little has really changed with him. He's always popped in and out of the upper midcard scene, and that's fine. Can't say I'm a fan of his either...but, literally nothing has changed about the way he is being booked now as opposed to when Vince was around. And even though I don't like him...TONS of people do. He DOES draw a crowd. He  DOES sell merch. You can't even deny that. He basically has the modern Rey Mysterio spot. Kids love him.

Damage CTRL is a generally successful stable when you look at what else is happening in the women's division. Are they perfect? No. But, it's a solid way to push three performers who would be lost otherwise. Shirai and Dakota definitely never deserved to be released. It's great to have them back in whatever capacity works. - Again...this is a problem with storytelling. Damage CTRL is a three person group. So, who do they feud with? It's not like there are other three person groups all over the place. Bayley is the center of things, and all they need to do is put Bayley back in a main event level spot. Currently, the group isn't doing much. Give them a real angle...and they will entertain on cue. 

Hit Row are indeed useless. - This is the one return that I never understood (well, Braun as well...tbh). Not sure what HHH thought we would get with a Swerve-less Hit Row...but it truly is a waste of everyone's time. I think all we're seeing right now is an attempt to make them draw, since the money was already wasted on them. - You can't be angry that an attempt is being made. Especially when commentary acknowledges week after week that the group kinda sucks. - They know it's a dud, and they're seeing if they can make it worth a single dime. I get it. - I also don't expect them to stay in WWE if they don't improve. This was clearly a second chance because they got lumped in with all of the other talent that Vince axed. But it was never going to be a free ride. It's clear that they are nobody's favorite. They got an opportunity, and they are not knocking it out of the park. We all see it. 

As for "tough pills to swallow"...WWE has been doing terribly for a long time. Numbers-wise, most of what Vince did was not working with the actual fanbase. Monetarily, the company was doing quite well. (Making shady deals with the Saudi's can do that). But, HHH's leadership has only just begun to bring those numbers back up. So, it's completely illogical to suggest that Vince was doing much of anything "better". Better at making money in questionable ways? Absolutely. Better at making a product that people are able to feel invested in? Laughably not. 

I'd rather take an incredible highflyer like Ricochet even if he's not too good in the mike in a WRESTLING company. What happened to the making new stars point?

And of course the changes have been minimal yet, it must take years to arise from the whole mess Vince made over these past years.

Making new stars is something Vince deserved criticism on. Definitely. I’ve always agreed that he doesn’t get how to make a star in the current format. However, he did make Roman. Whether fans rejected him as a face in the past is literally the reason his current run is so legendary. It still came from Vince. Without those face runs there would be no current heel run. Drew is also someone who while was released and made himself over to the point he was resigned still is a main event star in WWE, under Vince’s rule. People like to pretend Vince didn’t make great decisions or push stars fans wanted. Daniel, Kofi, Punk even were pushes Vince booked and approved. Whether he was backed into a corner to make them or not he still did. I never want to have the reputation that I simp for Vince. However, there are worse people to simp for. Tony Khan being one. But allegations aside and certain stars fans have wanted pushed, what mess has Vince actually made. Most the people who have been buried weren’t draws or even good on mics which means thru couldn’t sell storylines. I’ve just always put myself in Vince’s shoes or any owned shoes. How would I book this or that. How would I push this person or not. Etc. So that’s always made me see things different. I genuinely, not trolling at all believe Vince knows how company better than anyone else. Fans wanted certain people pushed, got it and then started calling it boring over overrated and etc. By nature we as fans are all fickle. Each and every last one of us are fickle. Some of us have short attention spans and can’t appreciate decisions in the moment. Again, that’s each and everyone of us. But sometimes bad decisions down the road weren’t so bad after all. Vince hasn’t always been right or made the best decisions. We allllllll know that to be fact. However I don’t personally feel he’s this menacing evil ass diabolical villain fans make h out to be. Hell, if it was my company, you guys would’ve never saw Daniel at WM 30. But that’s just me. 

Archived