Resident Evil series

AegisAvenger

It looks good, but I'd rather see new storylines.

How do you remove this spoiler tag? It appears whenever I highlight text. 

I feel like Capcom is just content to release the same recycled stuff, for as long as people love to play the same things. 

Do expect there to be tons of cut content, or things locked away behind a paywall. This is Capcom, after all.  They are notorious for half baking their products.

The remakes of RE2 and 3 had so many things removed. It was honestly ridiculous. Yet a lot of sheep openly bash 3 and glorify 2. It makes no sense. RE2 had just as much omitted stuff, to be honest.

But I guess fanboys will always be like, "I don't care. Take my money, Capcom!" 

We will see how this one goes. But I'd rather see new ideas being poured into the franchise. At least things that make sense, of course. The series rarely does add up any more, with how dumb some storylines turn out. 

On 6/19/2022 at 5:14 AM, Mister Eye said:

Do expect there to be tons of cut content, or things locked away behind a paywall. This is Capcom, after all.  They are notorious for half baking their products.

The remakes of RE2 and 3 had so many things removed. It was honestly ridiculous. Yet a lot of sheep openly bash 3 and glorify 2. It makes no sense. RE2 had just as much omitted stuff, to be honest.

But I guess fanboys will always be like, "I don't care. Take my money, Capcom!" 

We will see how this one goes. But I'd rather see new ideas being poured into the franchise. At least things that make sense, of course. The series rarely does add up any more, with how dumb some storylines turn out. 

You know dude, you are allowed to just be excited for something. Going around calling people who are happy fanboys isn't cool.

Village has new original DLC coming, 9 is likely to go into production once it's out. Just let people be happy a game they love is getting remade.

Dude, I really can't be arsed delving into the ins and outs of why the recent remakes were trash. But just so you know, Capcom axed a lot of content. Like a whole ton. They don't even really play like the original games either, with that new awkward, aiming mechanic they've added in. There are other things I could cast up too, but that's just for starters.

When they remade the original game and released it in 2002, there wasn't really that many changes. They removed the cheese, to make it more serious, I guess. However, they retained just about everything else from the 1996 version, while expanding upon it in a fantastic way. So this particular remake was praised for that. 

These modern remakes don't do that. They alter the look of the characters, to appeal to youngsters, I suppose. They changed the story. Plus, a whole lot of enemy types and areas got removed. So you cannot tell me that the RE4 remake probably won't be suffering a similar fate. If anything, Capcom is really only doing remakes because they know nostalgia makes the gaming world go round.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The remakes of 2 and 3 are absolutely atrocious. They were both soulless. Not just RE3. The two games were totally lifeless, in my opinion.

In RE2, you cannot really hear any music. Having the original soundtrack does not add to the experience, as it feels tacked on. That's a disgrace. RE2 has iconic creepiness to it. And the zombies were all bullet sponges on purpose.

They removed a lot of enemies. They also made the second scenario way too similar to the first run. There was no love in the project at all. They also made Leon look like Justin Bieber and Ada looked too censored into the bargain. It's 2022 and games are getting censorship. Really? A game that came out way back in 1998. 

Apart from that, the fanboys don't even call Capcom out for doing this to beloved classics. All they do is praise Capcom. It's an embarrassment.

Even RE4. I'm not the biggest fan of it, as it made the franchise go in a pretty stupid direction with crazy antagonists and ridiculous storylines. But they're bound to neuter that game as well. It's not like we have too much longer to wait to find that out. 

It's gonna be released in March. Provided they don't have to delay the release date, of course.

I didn't mean to tag a paragraph. There's a problem on similar forums like this, too.

• 1 month later...

Oh, yes. It does look phenomenal.

I stopped being a fan of the original, basically because it wrecked the genre. But this remake looks to be the polar opposite to the 2005 version. 

I am impressed. Survival horror has finally got great again.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think of RE fans in general? Like, do you find it is productive talking to some of those people online? 

I basically went to a forum a few weeks ago to talk about how Capcom has spent a long time trying to rip stuff off from other mediums, especially other games that they know have ascended in popularity.

Well, I think the franchise has also noticeably dipped in quality regardless. But yeah. They have in fact *stolen* ideas. Like how RE8 has static sounds and mannequins in a house not unlike the one from a certain, now legendary demo.

Now, I know my train is leaving the station to take me back to Silent Hill soon, but come on. Be more original! 

Generally what happens is, the users make it obvious they don't want to even hear it. They take the Mickey, or they move the goal posts. I'm the member "thesaunderschild" on Silent Hill Community, so I like to discuss survival horror more than any other genres. 

The remake of RE4 looks great, but I mean, I played it when it was relevant. In 2005. Two decades ago.

Now it is 2023. I think gaming today is not worth getting a PS5 for until something truly innovative comes by. Half of these 'next gen' console titles are being released on the PS4 or for PC gamers anyway. Hence as to why it is up for debate whether they are as unique and new as they claim.

I also understand why RE: CV is not being remade before RE4. Capcom knows nobody really cares about CV other than purists. Action lovers on the other hand could care less about a slow paced game like CV, since they clearly love RE4 for the shooting and the over the top cheesiness. But they openly hate on RE5, when 4 and 5 are basically the same sort of game, to be honest.

That is nuts.

Gave the demo for RE4R a try today and man did it feel good. Movement feels good if slightly clunky when you're trying to move side to side, shooting somehow feels way better than RE2R and RE3R, the village run was fun; albeit i didn't get to try the knife parry because I stayed the ever loving *Censored* away from Salvador. My only gripe is that the stealth system seems very tacked on and doesn't feel like its going to be very deep but considering this RE and not splinter cell that doesn't surprise me.

I'm definitely going to be picking it up, it left that good an impression on me. It helps that I really loved RE2R and liked RE3R enough that i can still sit down and play it without getting bored. Even if it's a bit.. half-baked.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched MaxmillianDood's playthrough part 1 last night. Graphics are insanely good on a qualified PC rig. Also, new enemy types are cool. I'm definitely going to look forward to watching the rest of his playthrough. - I won't actually be playing the game because, well...I just never actually enjoyed playing RE games. Always liked watching my brother play them...and now I like watching youtubers do it. Lol

I completed it yesterday. It was enjoyable, yet not all of the time. That was mostly down to the annoying puzzles. 

This is the only forum I logged in today besides two other ones, where users are actually discussing the game. All of the other message boards I signed into are practically dead. 

Forums kind of suck ass in this day of age. 

From what I've seen, the combat looks incredibly satisfying when it goes according to plan...but also incredibly aggravating when something goes awry. In MaxmillianDood's playthrough, he was making his way through one area with Ashley on Hardcore difficulty, had already survived the worst of an onslaught...and then accidently sniped Ashley because she kept running in front of his shot. I would lose my shit. Lol.

I've been playing the game nonstop and enjoying it. It is bringing back so many memories of playing the original on PS2 several times over the years. I wish more games made me feel like this. The WWE games used to make me enjoy playing them nonstop as well but the 2K games don't do it for me. Perhaps its a generational thing. If more PS2 games got a remake I'd play the hell out of those too. One thing this game has little of is long cinematic sequences. The action and storytelling all seems to happen in real time.

Archived