Silent Hill

Oil Can

One of survival horror's most iconic series, which has had more downs than ups in recent memory. However, rumours persist that the series is coming back by developers such as Bloober Team, Sony, or whoever else. There was even some daft stories about how an indie game called Abandoned was a secret new entry, that wouldn't let up last summer.  

What's your favourite game in the series? 

Silent Hill 2 will be the most common answer and for good reason, its absolutely stellar! You can't really go wrong with any of the Team Silent  outings. 

It's when Konami shipped the franchise to the west that the artistic design and narrative heavily suffered. That's not to say they aren't some good later additions, although they are all suffer in some way. I particularly liked Shattered Memories, I felt the story and art direction was really strong, it suffered from the quite lacklustre chase sequences, the exploration was where it was at with that game. 

Silent Hill 2 is personally my favourite, it all just comes together perfectly. The current rumours of Bloober Team remaking it fills me with cautious optimism.. however I'm glad they're not the team making the next proper Silent Hill instalment.

Then again, Konami... so I'm always nervous.  

I've played the PSP Silent Hill games and while they have issues, I enjoyed them. Probably because they were my first Silent Hill games. Nostalgia or not, I still enjoyed the PSP ones. I still haven't played the first 2, or 3 but I have seen my favorite YouTuber play them (MrGstar321).

I always found the fourth one very hard and monotonous. You had to find holy candles, special bullets, rare swords, and run away from annoying ghosts that were the victims of a serial killer known as Walter.

You can only save in this Henry guy's apartment, and you cannot carry unlimited items, unlike in the other games. Plus, your neighbor eventually finds her way into the same messed up world, and you have to watch out for her, while dealing with the man who started the nightmare.

It was solid all throughout the game. Didn't mean to put a spoiler tag there, by the way. It just happened after I highlighted over the text. 

Archived