2K22’s Grapple System

EJ!

2K22’s Grapple System  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

i really do not like the standing grapple system. it’s so weird because the grapple holds are a welcomed addition in every other position. they look good in the corner, on the ropes, on the ground, everywhere else except standing, it’s such a boner killer when you escape a move or dodge a strike, but instead of going straight into a big grapple move, you gotta tie up first.

now that people have had time to play and experience, i wanted to know what everyone thought?

Yeah, after tutorial and a few matches, I love it overall. Everyone's movesets seem to be repetitive but that could be easily fixed. The little lock up is a drag but it is what it is. But it's the most fun I've had playing matches in a few years. My cousin fell off these games during the late SvR days, but he's really having fun with it too and he found it easy to pick up. So personally I like the direction it went in this year.

im not opposed to it in general. im opposed to quick grapples only being available in combos. The grapple looks good for moves that start in a standard suplex.. But most other moves it looks bad. Because you will just release the grapple and then start the animation. Where it looks like a smooth transition with most of the standard suplexes. But we already had Front Facelock in the older games that served that purpose. Even tho it never really looked good with most animations (transition wise wasn't as smooth).

The grapple does look good on some ground and corner grabs. Not all. Not even most. But there are definitely a bunch of moves that the grab looks good as opposed to just instantly doing the move like we had before. IE: corner attacks with clinches. Ground attacks that involve grabbing an arm or leg.

Im not happy with the responsiveness or feedback on the standard lockup. I dont think it feels as good as a games like No Mercy or All-Stars (which also had lockups). There is a bit of a delay and struggle in the animation where its not exactly clear on the timing. And i feel like im just mashing and praying sometimes when i grab. And many times the result is both me and the opponent releasing from the lockup. And then doing it again.

ideally combos are completely optional in the next game. And ideally grab is relegated to the Drag button. Just hold the drag button when pressing grapple to grab instead of instantly doing a move.

I am not a fan personally. There's a lot I like in 2K22 but I feel like most of the improvements could've been made while keeping the old grapple and strike system instead of introducing a new one that almost feels made for an entirely different game.

Like, to me, it almost feels like the grapple and strike system was made for a new arcade game to go along with 2K22, and then instead they just forced it in. I definitely don't feel like I'm simulating wrestling now; and while I think it works alright for high flyers and strikers, I really don't think it works with bigger slower guys and grapplers. If you don't want to use the combo system, you end up witha  severely limited moveset compared to previous games.

I absolutely think all these awesome new transitional animations, new springboard controls, and all that could still have been implemented without abandoning the old system. Instead we got a combo system that makes the game feel like it wants to be street fighter or mortal kombat. If I want a fighting game, I'll go play soul calibur. 

I'm fully aware I'm probably in the minority and for people who like it, I'm happy for you. But this isn't what i want from a pro wrestling simulation game. Hopefully the wrestling code doesn't end up sucking. 

Archived