Is WWE 2k22 CAW mode taking steps backwards from WWE 2k19?

tomcat13

It appears that while the graphics are improved, the overall CAW mode is missing options from previous versions of 2K. It does not appear that we have the option to edit physical body parts, perhaps only choose body types. The weight is tied directly to the CAWs height. It also appears that there is still not an option to lengthen hairstyles, or combine styles as was a previous welcome glitch on 2K19. I see that some new features have been added for outfits, which is a nice edition for fans who enjoy those. Please post your thoughts and opinions as relates to CAW mode. I'd like to hear the feedback from this community on this specific part of the game. Thank you. 

• tomcat13 changed the title to Is WWE 2k22 CAW mode taking steps backwards from WWE 2k19?

The caw options are ok as long as one only creates original caws.

It's a totally different story when one wants to create a real life wrestler cause the hair act differently hiding or overcovering parts of the face unlike the previous versions so no matter how accurate a caw is facially, the hair makes it look mostly off.

This goes for mid to longhaired persons though. The look of the hair in certain colors is also horrible to say the least. Also the cheeks can barely be modified at all which is another problem.

The body height/weight being tied to each other is another issue cause the selection is missing certain combinations of height/weight and even if we find and select the "accurate" combination of a real person, the body still looks off cause it's  structure is just different.

Due to this we have to take combinations that don't match with their real life height/weight to make them look somewhat accurate.

Their explanation or rather excuse was that the old body morphing system were causing glitches while the new one is clean. Well... we already have confirmations from several players that even with the new system clothing, championships and other stuff is still glitching.

It is a downgrade. Just seen a video today by one the legends that does CAW wrestlers called Finetuned Gaming AKA 3XCAW who is a big deal over the years on this site & on Youtube too & has made the decision to not get the game. His brother OZCAW looks like he may not do it either & neither is KINGDW2100 aka WDW who also does good work on CAWS too. Go check out his video that he posted Thursday 3-10-22 which is yesterday when I'd posted this comment & his youtube channel is called FINETUNED GAMING. 

I was able to put together the basic attires for four of my CAWs within a few minutes. But the new body type system is trash.

In 2K19, I was able to create well-proportioned similarly sized CAWs with different bodies. Now the two heavyweighs I created so far have the exact same body.

My light heavyweight and cruiserweight both look like jobbers. Any changes I make to either bumps them up a weight class.

Its so sad, the Universe Mode also seemed to have been only touched very little.
The two most important modes that kept the community alive after 2k20 etc....the argueably biggest part of the WWE games fandom, and they get treated like this.
Really not cool.

Visually the caw mode seems to be the best it ever was, but the stuff they took out or the problems they didnt even touch on...are really dissapointing.

19 hours ago, Jay Mace said:

I was able to put together the basic attires for four of my CAWs within a few minutes. But the new body type system is trash.

In 2K19, I was able to create well-proportioned similarly sized CAWs with different bodies. Now the two heavyweighs I created so far have the exact same body.

My light heavyweight and cruiserweight both look like jobbers. Any changes I make to either bumps them up a weight class.

I very much agree with this. All the air is let out of the balloon for me. It doesn't matter how good the face is, if the body looks lame and generic. Especially when I can compare CAWs from earlier versions and they look far, far better because of the customized body. You can actually make the proportions much closer to their  real life counterparts. Creator freedom is missing. 

I can't believe how much of a  waste this feels like. I went back to playing Madden 22, even though I was ready to be done playing it. 

The years of russian roullette with CAW mode is just dumb. If it wasn't for the infrequent crashing from using the hair glitch on 2k19, I  think it's almost perfect for it's CAW mode. Screw all this other stuff and just put the focus on the CAW mode. Most creators just want to make their favorite wrestlers/ characters and play as them. 

The graphics really seem like the only upgrade. CAW mode is dumbed down; MyGM is a weak, incomplete effort to recreate GM Mode; Universe is mostly unchanged save for removing a few things; controls are change for the sake of change and them implementation is flawed.

Feels like the first game on a new generation, with them just trying to figure out how to get the engine to run on new hardware... except they have been using it for 3 years and inherited a working model.

Yeah, it's definitely worse. Not completely broken to that point that it can't be worked with but it's frankly insulting that they made one of the franchise's signature features notably inferior. They've cited issues with clipping as the reason that they've removed body morphing but it's still very much there even with the defaults. It's crazy that if I don't want my main CAW to be a stick figure, I have to give her a "medium:" body type which sets her as a light heavyweight, thus screwing up her attributes. I'm certainly no programmer but I wouldn't think that clipping issues would prompt them to give us inferior versions of face photo and custom images; the former is just "off" and worked better even in 2K20 while it's inexcusable that we can't select materials for the latter after having been able to do so for the past couple of games.

It's frustrating, to say the least.

Yes, and no, but mostly yes. I agree with basically everything out there, with a few extra issues.

The textures on hair, especially long white hair is bad. It needs better textures, lighting and shading. 
Unlike 2k20, you can’t combine 3D goatees. I was going to combine the two long goatees since there still isn’t a waist length ZZ Top beard in the game for CAS. Ugh… The two goatees conflict…

The facial hair in general looks a bit better and generally costs less points.

The max height is 7’4” but you can’t truly make them that height when Kane is practically as tall as that CAW. The CAW is dwarfed by the tallest in game wrestler. This is a big pet peeve of mine as CAS should scale 1:1 with in game wrestlers. Not shorter. Add to this with the height, weight, and morphing restrictions, and it’s bad. You can’t make a CAS 640 lbs anymore. If they’re going to keep this morphing system going forth, at least give us GIANT body types as options too.

On 3/11/2022 at 7:55 AM, Mani-Man said:

Its so sad, the Universe Mode also seemed to have been only touched very little.
The two most important modes that kept the community alive after 2k20 etc....the argueably biggest part of the WWE games fandom, and they get treated like this.
Really not cool.

Visually the caw mode seems to be the best it ever was, but the stuff they took out or the problems they didnt even touch on...are really dissapointing.

not really touch a little as we were given a pretty much never ending single player campaign  with the ablity to choose one guy any guy in universe 

On 3/11/2022 at 7:55 AM, Mani-Man said:

Really not cool.

Honestly I disagree with the bolded and underlined. It was buggier yes but 2K20s CAW mode had far better textures, and 2K19 had a far better mirror feature. Both obviously also had better body building.

3 hours ago, Austin3035 said:

not really touch a little as we were given a pretty much never ending single player campaign  with the ablity to choose one guy any guy in universe 

You, uh... you realize you could ALWAYS do that, right? No one was ever forcing you to do anything different. This would be like getting excited that you could "finally" win by KO if they put Slobberknocker mode back in, like there wasn't always the option to have KO matches...

Yes, it took steps backwards.

The only good thing is the new parts from 2K20 and 2K22 that have been added since 2K19, but the lack of Body Adjustments and the pointless arbitrary system where you can't choose your weight are terrible. The later of those issues is causing problems with characters being the wrong weight. Being able to have the character be the actual weight you want them to is a lot more important than "cracking down on people who make skinny guys super heavyweights"..... THAT honestly isn't even a real problem; who cares if someone does something silly like that anyway? It's not like anyone is forced to do that.

This series obviously had to take steps backwards to move forward. It’s like taking a machine apart to the bones and small pieces you understand and recreating everything else.

I give them credit for this game playing smoothly at least but it has so much work to do gameplay wise. Matches can be fun and Arcady but seem to have very a lot of wrestling match influence taken away.

Caws this year obvious look worse but hair moves now and way more caw parts which is cool.

Got the game last week was afraid to touch it until I seen some videos on yt & heard what the community had to say about the game. So far its been 50/50 but Praying I can do something great with my caws this year

2 hours ago, MR.SMITH said:

Got the game last week was afraid to touch it until I seen some videos on yt & heard what the community had to say about the game. So far its been 50/50 but Praying I can do something great with my caws this year

I have had the game since it was released, and I have barely played it. Year after year, I took my time (like a lot of CAW makers) and improved upon my formula and process for making the Ultimate Warrior, and trying to create a base CAW so it could be share online and other people could change/ add attires if they downloaded it. I enjoyed all the great CAWs or wrestling legends from the past, each year they looked more authentic as the game improved. 

I took a pass on 2k20 cause of all the problems I saw. So I was really looking forward to this release. Seeing how the CAW mode has gone backwards, has pretty much removed my motivation to do anything with this game. I have no doubt there will be some CAW makers who do a great job on the CAW head, but most likely the body will leave a lot to be desired. 

I've compared my current progress, as I started to make an Ultimate Warrior CAW to my 2k19 version. No matter what I do, the body will be off. I'm not going to put in a lot of time and effort, to make a CAW I know will always be inferior. 

Good luck to all who try. 

11 hours ago, tomcat13 said:

I have had the game since it was released, and I have barely played it. Year after year, I took my time (like a lot of CAW makers) and improved upon my formula and process for making the Ultimate Warrior, and trying to create a base CAW so it could be share online and other people could change/ add attires if they downloaded it. I enjoyed all the great CAWs or wrestling legends from the past, each year they looked more authentic as the game improved. 

I took a pass on 2k20 cause of all the problems I saw. So I was really looking forward to this release. Seeing how the CAW mode has gone backwards, has pretty much removed my motivation to do anything with this game. I have no doubt there will be some CAW makers who do a great job on the CAW head, but most likely the body will leave a lot to be desired. 

I've compared my current progress, as I started to make an Ultimate Warrior CAW to my 2k19 version. No matter what I do, the body will be off. I'm not going to put in a lot of time and effort, to make a CAW I know will always be inferior. 

Good luck to all who try. 

There have been a few CAW legends that I'd follow that refuse to get this game due to this. One of them is FINETUNE GAMING AKA 3XCAW. He always a Legend when it comes to CAWS. He just did a video on YouTube last week on why he's not getting the game. Thought his brother OZCAW would do the same thing but did talk to him by PM him & he told me he's going to do it regards of CAW Mode being a downgrade & all. Another person is KINGDW but don't what he goes by on Twitter & YouTube has also REFUSED to do the game. He also does great CAWS too. He always creates Interesting Luchadores for the game to fit the Cruiserweight division but that's out the window. 

This may be me or that 2k has moved it somewhere else, but I cannot find the body oil/shine option. This effect helped to improve the sweat texture for caws in the past but I can’t seem to find it. Let’s hope this can be updated in a patch

Archived