Resident Evil = milked to death, dog poop...

Oil Can

Personally, I cannot stand it when people say RE4 is the GOAT in the franchise. That's not even a real horror game, in my opinion. It is a good game in general, but I think it's rather overrated.

If you want to play a truly atmospheric RE game that will scare you way more than RE4 ever will, then I highly recommend you play the 2002 remake. It outshines the recent remakes, where they ruined the original games by cutting out most of the story aspects, creatures, and more, for Capcom were too lazy to add them in properly.

In RE4, you basically get rewarded ammo for killing villagers, and then a vendor can somehow magically appear, act funny, and trade with you. It just totally defeats the purpose of it being scary. Because, well, it's not. 

Thereafter, I think Capcom just ran out of ideas for a long time, ripping off other games, and making more pot (or plot) holes than a cabbage patch. An example being, when the universally panned RE6 tried to be a clone of Gears of War

About a year ago, Capcom released RE8 as an action heavy game, apparently because fanboys claimed RE7 was too scary, or whatever. But isn't a survival horror franchise supposed to frighten you? So why finally go back to the horror side of things after years of shoot and loot rubbish, just to lie and reverse the style once again? 

It seems like Capcom just wanted another mainstream money maker, so they based the gameplay off of RE4, although it looks more or less like RE7 from 4 years previously. A game that in my opinion, didn't feel like a RE game either. Also, Ethan Winters is so boring. They never want to show his face to the player. 

And they're constantly revisiting Raccoon City. To be honest, I don't see the point in that. They had the city blown up over 20 years ago in the timeline, but they love to keep on doing movies and spin off games about it. Why not just let it end? You know? 

You can just tell they're churning out rubbish now, for an easy profit. How anybody thinks RE8 was good with that dumb vampire woman, I have no idea. It's babyish. And speaking of babyish things, the game actually has you at one point in the storyline, being stalked in a house by a mutant baby thing, for real. 

Oh my God. ?

Lol.

Quality post, tbh. 

I don't know...plenty of people do enjoy the current path of the franchise. And they are entitled to that (for what it is). - I have just always wished that the majority of the games had been presented under a new name instead of being 'Resident Evil' games. I always felt like RE 1-3 are a the "true" games of the series, and everything else has just been too far of a departure from what the story "should" have been. It's like...if Capcom had just said "We're making a new horror/shooter franchise, and this is what it is." I think that would have worked out exceedingly well. I never thought it was necessary for them to take that hard of a turn for the RE series. Now the lore of the entire franchise is an absolute mess. Instead of a simple virus...you have parasites, ghosts, witches, werewolves, dragons. 

It's always been my opinion (especially with horror) that less is more. Simple is better than going over the top. - I recently watched the new Texas Chainsaw movie, and I hated it. I know that plenty of people enjoyed it as "dumb fun"...but it went too balls to the wall and completely lost the believability of a simple story about a deranged killer. Now...I know that you had TCM2, which was pretty damn stupid also (and it was considered a cult classic). But...I don't know. Both RE and TCM have always felt like a similar case of having a franchise that has all the potential in the world, but somehow keeps being made a complete mess of.

Disclaimer - I watched a "let's play" of RE Village, and I enjoyed watching the whole thing. But that still doesn't make me a fan of the direction the series has taken. I still believe that most of these games should have been part of a separate franchise. I don't "hate" any of the recent RE games. I just have a very strong conviction about how they should have been branded and marketed.

Hopefully, I didn't sound like a rambler there. LOL! ?

I truly wish they had remade RE2 like the first remake, where they had just made it more or less like the original game, but improved upon it like they did when they were able to successfully pull it off with the first remake on the GameCube. But with how it came out, it felt drastically overhauled. Then RE3 was somehow even worse. It was like it could have been included as DLC for RE2 instead of being a $60, separate title. That was such a con! 

They even admitted that they have new developers for these games, that go on Wikipedia pages to get the jist of the synopsis. Yeah. How lame is that? That just proves that the Capcom of today probably has very little or none of the charm of yesteryear left intact. For you can kind of tell that the real talent got shipped out long ago. 

In fact, I think the RE games went downhill just like the WWE games have. For I remember the old games by THQ had more comfortable controls and were not full of glitches on an annual basis, that were so bad, they even erased your data. You could also use a single audio track for a custom soundtrack. It was awesome making your own arenas and stables to feud with people over the Internet, but the story mode was hard to get to grips with, due to the editing being a bit meh. But I really think with the new one, they're learning their lesson well. ?

I miss Silent Hill, because along with RE, it used to be the top survival horror series on the PS2. But despite the competition that people claim they had with each other, I never really understood how they were meant to be rival franchises to begin with. They are absolutely nothing alike, because one is based on science, and the other has hauntings and alternative, rusty worlds sucking you in. But regardless, I loved exploring the town of Silent Hill, and then Konami got stupid and sacked Team Silent, so those games afterwards with Konami merely publishing outsourced crap created by other developers, were dull entries, and that's probably why they ended up being not as good.

Konami's series has not made a dent on RE at all, though, because RE has sold millions of more units. They're both household names in their respective, pigeonholed genre, but that's about it.

Archived