AEW Drama

Austin3035

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, The Nerd said:

Starting to believe Punk wasn’t wrong in the slightest. Not even the biggest fan of him but it’s becoming clear and clear. 

Again...he was wrong for his entire rant. He could have ranted about whatever he wanted in his free time...but not during a company sanctioned media scrum. - If he wanted to go on twitter and post a long video saying all the same things he said, that's on him. But it wasn't the time nor place for any of it. He was absolutely wrong in his blatant disregard for anything even remotely resembling professionalism.

I'd also much rather have Punk back over the Elite. They're all in the wrong for what happened but if we're purely talking on who'd I'd rather see on TV going forward, it's not even close.

It's sad this is how it's likely to end but Punk had a great comeback year. He also gave the company its two biggest moments in my opinion, with his initial debut and his feud with MJF.

I mean...Page was concerned that Punk came to AEW solely to do business for himself, and harm the product/locker room in-turn. (Which is literally what ended up happening). He cut a promo on-air that kinda blurred the lines between entertainment and personal issues...not anything we haven't seen a million other times in pro wrestling. A shot was fired, it hit closer to home than Punk wanted to acknowledge...and then a dispute occurred. - I still fail to see how Page went anywhere near as far as Punk did in terms of acting unprofessional.

Edited by Generations

Yeah I don’t either. I get not liking any guys of the Elite, but comparing some dumb one liner that went over mostly everyone’s heads until Punk brought it up months later, to a guy going rogue on a company media scrum and then immediately following that up with throwing the first shots in a heated backstage brawl ? Yeah, no.

On 11/2/2022 at 5:15 PM, Generations said:

I mean...Page was concerned that Punk came to AEW solely to do business for himself, and harm the product/locker room in-turn. (Which is literally what ended up happening). He cut a promo on-air that kinda blurred the lines between entertainment and personal issues...not anything we haven't seen a million other times in pro wrestling. A shot was fired, it hit closer to home than Punk wanted to acknowledge...and then a dispute occurred. - I still fail to see how Page went anywhere near as far as Punk did in terms of acting unprofessional.

Solely to do business for himself? Where is this narrative coming from? There are a number of comments from AEW wrestlers who have put over Punk and how helpful he was towards them. Just because Punk apparently didn’t get along with the Elite and their circle of friends doesn’t mean he was this uncharitable nuisance to the entire locker room. There are literal interviews with guys talking about how Punk was such a positive thing for the locker room. Look them up. It’s a perspective that contradicts the image that Page wanted to paint with his weird-ass, awkward promo that did nothing for their feud other than confound people.

Page’s unprofessionalism is worse because he went on national TV and selfishly went into business for himself by bringing up unfounded backstage drama in order to falsely portray their top babyface as something that he is not right before their big championship title match on one of their biggest PPVs. That’s much worse in my view than Punk unleashing his frustrations against the people who try to undermine him on some post PPV scrum.

24 minutes ago, Bushy. said:

Yeah I don’t either. I get not liking any guys of the Elite, but comparing some dumb one liner that went over mostly everyone’s heads until Punk brought it up months later, to a guy going rogue on a company media scrum and then immediately following that up with throwing the first shots in a heated backstage brawl ? Yeah, no.

The dude try to portray him as a fraud for workers’ rights and a guy who didn’t give shit about the locker room. Why wouldn’t he take that personally? Why do people keep minimizing that? He better take that personally because that shit means a lot to him.

I don’t think it’s entirely fair to talk about professionalism when none of us know what exactly happened with the brawl.

I mean...there were a lot of people (myself included) who were caught off guard by Punk's promo on Dynamite. (Not the scrum...but, the seething promo he cut on Dynamite...where he took shots at Page). - The truth is, the Page promo seemed so absurdly lowkey and under-the-radar, insignificant, unimportant, and forgettable...that it was honestly just a shock to hear Punk take it so personally and hold such a grudge about it.  - As I said before, people cut promos in pro wrestling that blur the lines of business and personal issues CONSTANTLY. - This is seriously the hardest I've ever seen anyone hold a grudge regarding one. It was frankly alarming.

Not a single person thought Page did anything wrong until the Punk promo and it took some figuring out to realize why Punk was mad. Than he went into the media scrum with a plan to start shit. He called out the CEO's next to the companys owner who did nothing.

And not for nothing the way Punk acted shows Punk doesn't give a shit about the locker room, he gives a shit about himself and thats why the locker room is ok with him not coming back. 

On 11/2/2022 at 7:01 PM, Generations said:

I mean...there were a lot of people (myself included) who were caught off guard by Punk's promo on Dynamite. (Not the scrum...but, the seething promo he cut on Dynamite...where he took shots at Page). - The truth is, the Page promo seemed so absurdly lowkey and under-the-radar, insignificant, unimportant, and forgettable...that it was honestly just a shock to hear Punk take it so personally and hold such a grudge about it.  - As I said before, people cut promos in pro wrestling that blur the lines of business and personal issues CONSTANTLY. - This is seriously the hardest I've ever seen anyone hold a grudge regarding one. It was frankly alarming.

I wouldn’t call that promo “absurdly low-key, under-the-radar, insignificant etc.” While I couldn’t fully grasp the context behind Page’s promo and why he saying what he was saying, I at least understood the weirdness of him alluding to the backstage drama the way he did. Knowing what we know now, the fact that Punk acted professional in that moment should be commended.

27 minutes ago, Lunchbox said:

Not a single person thought Page did anything wrong until the Punk promo and it took some figuring out to realize why Punk was mad. Than he went into the media scrum with a plan to start shit. He called out the CEO's next to the companys owner who did nothing.

And not for nothing the way Punk acted shows Punk doesn't give a shit about the locker room, he gives a shit about himself and thats why the locker room is ok with him not coming back. 

No one knew the context behind the promo, but they sure as hell knew it was weird and that it made little sense. When it was revealed that Page went into business for himself it didn't surprise me.

The whole locker room is not ok with him not coming back. Some are apparently fine with it, some not fine with it.

Idk man. The part where Page talks about secretly watching Punk in the back is *censored*ing weeeeirrd, man. lol And then of course, the workers rights line right after. Weird. The defending AEW part was confusing and made him sound like a gatekeeper. Like he’s upset that this dude isn’t part of his club and therefore he’s bad. Come to find out, he actually believes that horseshit.

From a purely objective perspective, what Punk did was worse...there is no question about that.
Page tried in an immature way to take a cheap shot at a fellow worker, shitty but he is not the first nor the worst who did it.
Punk isnt a child of innocence when it comes to such tactics, this time it was just him on the other end of such a cheap shot.

Instead of dealing with this behind the scenes or in the ring, he however decided to use a Media Scrum after a big AEW Event, to go in for himself and embarrass the company, shame the workers and be unprofessional as hell about it.

Not many even noticed Pages cheap shot, it would have been easy to deal with this behind the scenes.
He had Tony Khans full attention, he could have done a lot of things, probably could have made it so he never would have to work with the Elite etc.
Going on a bitter Rant during a Media Scrum...wasnt his only option, it was the option he felt was most effective and embarrassing for others.
That was not a mature thing to do when he is the one who should have known better, the veteran in the business. 

Objectively, Punks reaction to this was far more unprofessional.
The personal opinion on this however, can differ from that...there is nothing wrong with that.

On 11/3/2022 at 5:25 AM, Mani-Man said:

Instead of dealing with this behind the scenes or in the ring,

He tried to deal with it but Page wanted none of it.

What softens Punk’s unprofessionalism for me is that it was all retaliation. He didn’t start shit. Page and his buddies started shit by smearing him. He went about it in a way that made the company look bad, but I can at least understand the emotions behind his outburst more than the emotions behind trying to smear him.

Aight but if you were to put them in a non-wrestling work environment, Hangman "started shit" by throwing a snarky remark at Punk in a conversation by the coffee machine, Punk retaliated by getting on his desk and screaming at the entire office. 

The one thing that would've softened me more on Punk's method was if it was confirms the Elite started/spread the Colt Cabana rumors, but every wrestling reporter out there has spoken out against that. This was Punk hearing the rumors and not confronting THEM until he just blew up at the rant.

PTW you sure you're not letting your taste in wrestlers dictate your thoughts on this? I know you don't care for Hangman/The Elite on screen, while you were a big Punk fan.

20 hours ago, PaperThinWalls said:

The dude try to portray him as a fraud for workers’ rights and a guy who didn’t give shit about the locker room. Why wouldn’t he take that personally? Why do people keep minimizing that? He better take that personally because that shit means a lot to him.

I don’t think it’s entirely fair to talk about professionalism when none of us know what exactly happened with the brawl.

Probably because a snarky one liner is no where near as bad as literally starting a brawl backstage lol

On 11/3/2022 at 10:23 AM, Counting Lights said:

Aight but if you were to put them in a non-wrestling work environment, Hangman "started shit" by throwing a snarky remark at Punk in a conversation by the coffee machine, Punk retaliated by getting on his desk and screaming at the entire office. 

I don’t think that’s equivalent to this situation. The promo didn’t occur in the back in private among a few. It occurred in front of a crowd of thousands on national television that can be perpetually watched by countless viewers. So it’s just not the same to me. I don’t know if there’s a direct equivalence here for us commoners who work regular jobs. The closest comparison that I can think of is the general premise of a group of co-workers spreading gossip about you at work and social media and then having a co-worker from said group publicly malign you based on those untruths right on the job while you’re working. Wouldn’t that upset you? I know it would upset me if I were in that situation. As to how it should have been handled, ideally the boss or HR would step in. But they didn’t for Punk. Tony didn’t do jackshit until way later and Christopher Daniels is apparently very shitty at his job based on the other conflicts that have leaked beyond Punk’s. And the reason he seems to be shitty is probably because he’s never done it before and the fact he has a close personal relationship with many of the talent (most notably the Young Bucks).

The one thing that would've softened me more on Punk's method was if it was confirms the Elite started/spread the Colt Cabana rumors, but every wrestling reporter out there has spoken out against that. This was Punk hearing the rumors and not confronting THEM until he just blew up at the rant.

As far as I’m aware only Meltzer and SRS have said they didn’t get the story directly from the Young Bucks. That may be true. It’s weird that they leaked their source so willingly like that but let’s say we take their word. Then who’s to say it still didn’t come from their camp? If my memory serves me right, the first time the dirt sheets addressed the rumor was when Meltzer reported that the Young Bucks pushed for Colt Cabana to be reassigned to ROH which “may be in some form be related to his issues with C.M. Punk.” Who would have given Meltzer that story? We know it wasn’t Tony cause he has denied the story. We know it’s not from Punk and his camp because that makes no sense. So who would be privy to this information? The Young Bucks and Colt. And if it wasn’t them directly, then it’s the friends/stooges they talk to who told Meltzer this story.

PTW you sure you're not letting your taste in wrestlers dictate your thoughts on this? I know you don't care for Hangman/The Elite on screen, while you were a big Punk fan.

It’s no secret I like Punk’s work, but I’d like to think that’s not the main reason why I’ve been more sympathetic towards his side. The reasoning I’ve been sympathetic towards him is because I’ve seen no actual evidence that he cost Colt his AEW job. The guy was a jobber on Dark who barely wrestled on Dynamite prior to Punk even joining AEW and was about to not get his contract renewed around the exact same time other jobbers (like Janela and Stunt) didn’t get their contracts renewed. The evidence is there that Tony was simply not interested in Colt. He never was. So why would he keep a guy who he practically did nothing with?

And then the other reason I’ve been sympathetic towards Punk is the whole Page going into business for himself stuff which I’ve talked enough about. lol

1 hour ago, Bushy. said:

Probably because a snarky one liner is no where near as bad as literally starting a brawl backstage lol

Again the circumstances behind the brawl are still not clear. Too many conflicting reports; still not enough details as far as I’m concerned.

Btw I wouldn’t characterize Page’s comment as a snarky one-liner. It was a full-blown character assassination.