AEW Drama

Austin3035

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's Dante doing in this conversation? Dude has a lot of potential, but is entirely spot-based. All flash, not substance. I like him, but he has a long way to go before he can be considered for a single push. Really sucks Darius has the worst luck, he seemed to be better rounded and I think Top Flight would've been crushing it against teams like Swerve in Our Glory. 

JB I agree has come a long way. He's stepped up in this program with Christian. He's not where he should be for a big-big push, but I wouldn't mind a TNT run soon-ish to test him as champ.

That said, I think I slot Sammy over JB right now (though JB has more long term potential IMO). I think Sammy got overexposed and a lot of shit went to his head, but dude's matches are consistently fire and he plays the smarmy shit-face heel very well (maybe because he isn't acting...). Not a fan of the real person, but Guevara the character/wrestler is still a valuable asset. 

Starks is by far and away the best prospect atm. Dude is ready for the big time. Slot him in the main event, as TNT champ, whatever, I'm convinced he can succeed. 

Apperantly Booker of the year revealed that CM Punk has an office jobb in aew

I’ll come in with an outline and I’ll sit down with Tony Schiavone, QT [Marshall], a couple of people backstage, Sonjay [Dutt] has become really valuable. Then there’s a lot of people throughout the years that you’d go to whatever their stuff is. I think there’s specific people even if they’re not working in an office job per se like a Chris Jericho, Bryan Danielson, Jon Moxley. And of course, even people who are working in office jobs like Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, and CM Punk.”

So the fight heard around the world just got more interesting with higher ups fighting with other higher ups..

the optimist in me is hoping Punk and the Elite post a picture of them hanging out a bar somewhere with Colt Cabana and Hangman. i want this all to end on a high note. for as much shit as i’ve given Punk recently, i don’t want him to go out like this. abrupt and chaotic exits from two major companies and several peers having nothing to nice to say about him can’t be the legacy of someone who was once so beloved.

Found on reddit

Wrestling Observer: update on the Elite and CM Punk

Source:  [October 17, 2022 Observer Newsletter:

Regarding the situation with those suspended over the fight (C.M. Punk, Young Bucks, Ace Steel and Kenny Omega), none of the five have heard anything from AEW.

All of the five are continuing to get paid, and when you figure the contracts for four of the five are well in excess of $1 million, the total weekly outlay for people who are not working is enormous.

At least one person (not one of the five) who was there has not been interviewed and there may be others. Most are frustrated because they want to be back working at this point. Punk may be the exception since he can’t work for a long time due to the surgery.

None are allowed to speak but several want to, but have no idea if they will ever be allowed to. Any rumors of anyone being fired, anyone being told they aren’t coming back or anything like that are incorrect as of midweek at least.

None have been given any impression of a timetable. Some thought the Adam Page promo on Dynamite talking about his friends disappearing (Colt Cabana, Stu Grayson and Alan Angels) and his former friends disappearing (which was in reference to the Young Bucks & Omega almost for sure) as a sign that they are being acknowledged and it’s settled and they’ll be back soon is not the case, but they did allow the reference but not the names to be spoken

Just want Kenny back, tbh. 

Absolutely zero reason to bring Punk back after the things he said in that interview (not to mention being old and injury prone).

But AEW definitely needs Kenny at this point. I've found Dynamite to be a bit of a struggle to watch lately. They could really use all the firepower they've got. I mean, honestly...I'd rather just see Kenny in WWE at this point. I'm kinda ready to write AEW off in general. - The competition is good for WWE...but I have really been enjoying WWE so much more with HHH in control. Kenny's AEW career has been pretty stagnant in general...and it just feels like WWE is the place for him now (especially with them doing another 'Club' attempt).

Edited by Generations

Punk's AEW run only served to reveal that he's entirely too injury prone and unable to work as a professional. I honestly don't want to see him anywhere after everything that has happened (and this is coming from someone who was very pro-Punk for a long time). At times, there was a brief glimmer of a spark of who/what Punk used to be...but it was mostly just sad overall. The whole media scrum situation honestly turned me off of him before any sort of brawl ever occurred. He's a bitter little man who still thinks the past dictates the present. Instead of being grateful that people actually cared enough for him to make a return, he decided to cling to his weird Colt Cabana obsession and blow smoke up his own ass. 

Edited by Generations

The scrum didn’t occur in a vacuum. There were months of people accusing Punk of costing Colt his AEW gig — it even made onto TV with that weird, scummy Page promo. There was a build-up to this. He just didn’t go on a rant randomly. The guy was clearly unhappy about all the slander and he lashed out. Imagine that. An outspoken, highly-opinionated guy lashing out at those he thought wronged him. Huh, who would have thought?

If Punk wants to go WWE, then have at it. I would be cautious if I were him but I’m not going to lie and say I want him to disappear from main-stream wrestling. I know it’s very “in” to diss his AEW run now after the scrum and act as if he adds no value to the promotion, but I still have the same opinion of his AEW run as I did prior to the scum, which is very positive. He consistently delivered top-quality work throughout his tenure and so yeah I would like to see him continue to do that.

I wouldn't sign Punk and his fragile ego if i was Triple H. Think about it. Punk could have defused any of these bombs if he just went to the EVPs and say hey are you guys stiring shit up about Cabana, or asked Hangman what was going on in that promo but he legit just sulked about it and cut a shitty promo in front of the company's owner. He really adds nothing to any product he would join. Like i know people wanted Punk back but his return never really lead to any sorta real boost in ratings outside of his return and the aftermath of this whole situation. 

How do we know he didn't do that?

That scrum promo was enthralling, intense, and even funny at times. Shitty would be the last word I would use for that.

Tony Khan seemed to be very pleased with how Punk affected his business. Ratings is one part of that pie and even that I think he was pleased with.

No one is suggesting that the scrum "occurred in a vacuum"...only that it wasn't the appropriate place. And, honestly...the thing that sparked his entire rant was literally just the fact that the person asking the question was someone Punk recognized as Cabana's former friend. (And that is beyond sad). - If Punk had these problems, there were obviously better places/ways to work them out. Especially when it comes to someone like Hangman, who barely said anything "that bad" about Punk. So, yeah...it's fine. Punk is entitled to have whatever attitude he wants about anything he wants to have an attitude about. But this entire experiment made it very clear that a wrestling return is a mistake for him.

Well, that's how your post came across to me.

The room was full of the very same people who distributed the false rumors for MONTHS, why would that not be the place to address it? They're all right in the room with him. I can see why he chose that place.

You're not Punk. So what bothers him may not bother you. I can understand why a workers' rights guy like Punk not being happy that some dude tried to falsely portray him as a fake for that cause. That would upset me too.

1 hour ago, PaperThinWalls said:

Bret went back and I thought his issue with them was worse.

At the end of the day, the Bret situation was about business. I think both sides eventually came to that conclusion, which is why they were ultimately able to work things out. Everything about Punk's situation is personal. Also, I do believe that Bret is a much bigger person than Punk on every level...so, there's that.