AEW Drama

Austin3035

Yeah...I don't really understand why anyone would be wary of Omega. Maybe the Bucks, but not Omega. And even then, the Bucks might just be coming off as unprofessional in their gimmick portrayal. They do a great job of sounding like whiny little bitches on television. Not sure if it's actually representative of their business sense, though. (And I hate the Bucks...so I'm kind of the last person to defend them). Omega, however, I see being very keen to "play ball" with WWE as long as the money and creative sound right.

Edited by Generations

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a matter of professionalism. It's a matter of personalities and philosophies. How is it wrong to question if this group that has experienced relative autonomy for a good portion of their careers be able to work within a system that not only exerts its style upon its talent but it's a style that largely clashes with theirs? For instance, I don't think it's all that wild to point out that WWE's vision of tag team wrestling (both in style and importance) doesn't exactly align with the Young Bucks'. Don't you think that would be a sticking point with them? I think so. So again I'd be wary. From my perspective, it would be a constant clashing of visions that would lead to many creative differences and battles over their work, which I don't think that would be very healthy for either side.

15 minutes ago, Generations said:

I mean...professionalism is literally the ability to put your own philosophies aside for the sake of doing good business.

So...I'd say it's really ONLY about professionalism. And there is no baseline for suggesting that Omega and the Bucks lack the ability to be professional.

They can act professional and ultimately do what the boss tells them to do but that doesn't mean that'll be happy, which is what I'm getting at. They won't be happy there.

Doubt any talent would've been interested in signing with AEW 3 years ago if the EVP's were known for ego's & unprofessionalism. Bucks and Kenny seem like genuinely good guys.

Regarding the tag team thing: time will tell, but HHH respected the hell out of tag team wrestling in NXT. Let's not forget that's where FTR made their name, and you have a ton of teams like American Alpha, Enzo & Cass, DIY & reDRagon who were presented as huge stars in the brand, and even teams who weren't main event caliber were well presented (your Vaudevillains, BAM, Lucha Dragons, etc). Treating tag team wrestling like "lesser than" seems to be a very Vince thing to me.

Edit: Just gonna add, Trips literally had the tag titles main event a TakeOver. I think tag team wrestling will be much healthier under his regime and I think he'd be more than happy to give the Bucks at least a little say in their presentation given how massive of a signing they'd be.

Edited by Counting Lights

But notice how almost all of those teams that you listed came from one period — a period that was half-a-decade ago? Beyond UE (who were indeed a heavily pushed group, not just a tag team) what’s there to say? Like were the War Raiders’ run in NXT truly exceptional or memorable? What about the Street Profits? I would argue they’ve been booked with more importance on the main roster under Vince. Did Breezango truly do anything of note? That 56 day run with the belts was great, right? Even a great team like Imperium was treated with disinterest under HHH. Somehow they fared better under HBK’s NXT 2.0. So idk about his track-record beyond the period you’ve referenced (which I haven’t seen most of btw) would be a great selling point for me.

Edit: And while I don’t think it’s fair to make any definitive judgments on HHH’s booking of tag teams at this point so early on in his regime, I do find humor in the fact that in this moment of time this discussion has taken place, we had just witnessed Strowman utterly demolish four top tag teams last Monday night. lol

2 hours ago, PaperThinWalls said:

But notice how almost all of those teams that you listed came from one period — a period that was half-a-decade ago? Beyond UE (who were indeed a heavily pushed group, not just a tag team) what’s there to say? Like were the War Raiders’ run in NXT truly exceptional or memorable? What about the Street Profits? I would argue they’ve been booked with more importance on the main roster under Vince. Did Breezango truly do anything of note? That 56 day run with the belts was great, right? Even a great team like Imperium was treated with disinterest under HHH. Somehow they fared better under HBK’s NXT 2.0. So idk about his track-record beyond the period you’ve referenced (which I haven’t seen most of btw) would be a great selling point for me.

Edit: And while I don’t think it’s fair to make any definitive judgments on HHH’s booking of tag teams at this point so early on in his regime, I do find humor in the fact that in this moment of time this discussion has taken place, we had just witnessed Strowman utterly demolish four top tag teams last Monday night. lol

Hey man in my defense, that following era of NXT is when I stopped watching the weeklies as much and mainly stuck to TakeOver's so I couldn't draw on much from that time lol. I did tune in for Breezango's run with the belts because they're my boys, but I will admit they didn't do anything with that reign. They're characters who need segments to stay over, and other than Dango dressing as Sherlock Holmes for what honestly might have been a Youtube exclusive... yeah, they got done dirty. I cannot speak on any other reign really in that era as, like I said, I really wasn't watching the show much anymore.

Edit: But that said, I don't think the Profits or Raiders were booked poorly for example, but I also don't think they were necessarily on the same level as Revival, Alpha or DIY ever were. They were solid, over acts but they didn't draw you in as much as those I mentioned. And I do think their booking would be comprable to some of the other mid-card teams like the Vaudevillains & BAM. So if the tag division booking went down in the last two years, that sucks, but can we discredit the previous 6-7 years of booking it like a big deal? The only early era time when the tag division sucked that I remember was Ascension's reign, and that was entirely because there were no good teams for them to face, which in turn inspired the tag team renaissance that brought us all the aforementioned teams.

Edited by Counting Lights

But it wasn't 6 - 7 years of booking. It was about 2 years, I'd say. The era of the tag division you were talking about was roughly 2015 to mid 2017. The only team you named after that 2-year-period was reDragon. So we had 5 years unaccounted for in your post and for good reason: there wasn't much in the tag division that truly rocked the wrestling world and had staying power.

Wow...I finally got around to actually watching the media scrum.

Punk is absolutely unhinged as a human if that was a proper shoot. Literally not a word about Colt Cabana was spoken by anyone...and he just went off the rails about him. You could tell that Khan was bugging, but just kinda didn't know what to say or do. This guy literally just saw a reporter who he knew to be friendly with Cabana in the past...so he took it upon himself to derail an entire interview. JFC. Even after the guy explained that he didn't see eye to eye with Cabana and hadn't spoken to him in years, Punk still continued to question his integrity and talk shit. Really makes me wonder if he had a concussion...or if he is just THAT unprofessional. He wouldn't even let Tony speak. This guy literally talked over the owner of the company when he tried to field questions...then called his coworkers "a bunch of children" while pouting and eating cake...

I guess I wasn't really prepared for the level of absurdity that unfolded. Honestly, I would want to fight Punk too if I was one of the people he talked shit about.

Edited by Generations

I assume the Match was against Vikingo right?
That would really suck, could have been a banger.

And all that because possibly Omega just was there to protect a Dog and got bitten by an absolute lunatic.
Damn it.

But on the good side, im still a bit unsure how healthy he is, so the suspension kind of gives him a bit more time off in case he isnt at 100%.
Still, sucks big time the whole situation.

The whole situation is getting quite interesting, tbh...

Heard that Fish was a major shit-stirrer, and Adam Cole of all people was the one who told Tony Khan what was happening. Not sure how much truth (if any) is there for that claim...but it would make sense...with Britt Baker being Cole's girlfriend and major AEW star.

Edited by Generations

AEW dropped the ball on a lot of these guys, tbh. Andrade definitely should have been a main event guy, but he's basically just been a Dark talent. Same with Miro. I think AEW management as a whole just got way too caught up in pushing people like Darby, Cassidy, Jericho, etc...that they just completely ignored some of these guys who should be at the top. I mean...maybe not the "top"...but definitely TNT champion or something like that. 

Shitty that the man has to go live to clarify some stuff because people keep bothering him.
He should be at home, resting and all that instead of having to go online to set the record straight.
But good to hear that he seems to stick with AEW.
I hope if and when he returns, he gets the push he deserves...House of black not being the first trios champions is one of those dumb booking decisions i will never understand.

Buddy also seems to have clarified in a way that the rumors arent really true from what i gather.

Andrade...i wouldnt blame the guy at all...AEW has done nothing with him.
Even less one would say than vince on the WWE main roster.

I get not everyone is able to be pushed, but if you have people like Black, Andrade, Miro...how do you not push them to the moon?
They are established, how are they at best in your lower card?
I dont get it.