AEW Show Discussion

Guest Fight Me.

On 1/22/2024 at 5:29 PM, PaperThinWalls said:

His best stuff in AEW to date was late 2021/early ‘22 and that was when he was heel. Then Moxley came around and ruined everything…

It do be like that! lol

When he's was mugging about Hangman and the Dark Order, he was phenomenal.  

The BCC are SO lame, it drags him down. Like Moxley is the worst anyways, so it doesnt really affect him being in that group but it really dragged down Danielson. 

Edited by Kman

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, StillDriven said:

Tell me more, ever since I became a fan of AEW I been feeling out all the talent. Moxley seems like a hardcore wrestler with a solid fanbase. I have seen his fans defend him about how he doesn't do that sport entertainment gentle wrestling and that he is hardcore hitter. Raw athlete. 

Moxley’s a pretend badass whose wrestling mind is zapped. He blades too much. His strikes look fake. He spends too much time on the floor ignoring the ref. He’s unprofessional and carelessly swears on TV. His awful group continues to derail Bryan and Claudio’s AEW careers. And his fans treat him as a selfless locker room leader and ignore the fact that he would have held up Tony Khan if he didn’t make him champion when Punk returned.

In summary: he’s one of the worst wrestlers there is right now.

I didn't know anything about Deonna before she came to AEW. I get the impression that she has a fanbase and people seeing her as a good technical wrestler. So far I love her stage presence and her aura about her.

She looked great tonight!

Edited by StillDriven

2 minutes ago, Senex Beast said:

They're still alright and doing the good thing of putting over new and younger talent. Perhaps jobbing a bit too much but I'm alright with them on the roster 

Jobbing a LOT if you ask me. It's almost as if they are not even Legends lol

Credit:pwinsider

Spoiler on potentail signing

In speaking with the same sources who originally confirmed to us that Mone would debut for New Japan Pro Wrestling at the 2022 Wrestle Kingdom event, we are told that Mone will be back working in pro wrestling by March and "not for WWE."  PWInsiderElite.com was told she is planning to visit Japan (we were told "visit" so this doesn't mean she will be wrestling, as far as we know) and then to expect a big return in the States.

When we asked if this meant she was AEW-bound, we were told that they couldn't confirm that.  We also asked if she was TNA bound and was specifically told no.  So, you can pretty much draw your conclusions there.  Mone has either signed or will soon be signing with AEW and expects to be back in front of cameras by this March, if not sooner.

My heart goes out to Jeff Hardy. The Hardy Boyz paved the way for guys like Jon Moxley. Week after week we have seen Matt and Jeff get treated like jobbers and this is not the way for tag team legends to retire. They need to retire gracefully. I don't know how much longer they have with their contracts in AEW but they need to start making plans fast.

Credit pwinsider, spoiler tafs on possible date for the new signing..

As PWInsiderElite.com previously noted, the expectation from many is that Mercedes Mone is AEW-bound.  One source believes that Mone is signed and was filming content for AEW earlier this week for usage in relation to her debut for the company in New Orleans, but PWInsiderElite.com has not independently confirmed that.  Mone was not at Dynamite.

AEW President Tony Khan has a big announcement set for next week's Dynamite.

As PWInsiderElite.com wrote last week, we were told by sources close to Mone that she would return to pro wrestling this March.  AEW currently has one March Dynamite date not announced - Wednesday 3/13. 

One could surmise that is the date Mone will be debuting for the company and that Khan's announcement will be based around that debut

2 hours ago, PaperThinWalls said:

She’s certainly not the difference maker that some make her out to be.

Typical salty response. (Both of you).

AEW can do no good in the eyes of some people. Lol

I've never been a huge Sasha Banks fan...but Mercedes Moné is a star. She's a good example of someone who can draw a crowd by doing very little. How many matches did she even have in Japan before being injured? Like 3? And yet...she's huge. Bigger than ever. It's all about presentation.

She will help AEW a lot with their overall image. Sometimes there's more to a performer than just how well they actually wrestle. *cough CM Punk* ... Moné has mastered the art of manipulation. She can have a staredown or tease a single match and make it mean something. - That's special in this era. It's something that most lack. 

Edited by Generations

Can't say I'm a fan of hers but my concern however is with how she will be presented. There's been more cases than not of big stars coming in and been considerable cooled off due to Tony's booking. It keeps happening, everyone that comes in ends up less over than when they debuted! There's outliners such as Swerve but man, Khan has a pretty rough record. 

1 hour ago, Kman said:

There's been more cases than not of big stars coming in and been considerable cooled off due to Tony's booking. It keeps happening, everyone that comes in ends up less over than when they debuted! 

Nah...that's a lie. Everyone who left WWE did so because they weren't being used there.

-Edge was more or less retired if he didn't go to AEW. WWE didn't want to work with him anymore. They didn't have anything for him. Even if his matches aren't these big "over" spectacles...he's doing what he wants to do, and is having fun. 

-Samoa Joe is world champion.

-Swerve is bigger than ever.

-Toni Storm is world champion and is bigger than ever.

-Adam Cole is about the same. Almost exactly the same. Also injury prone and his own worst enemy.

-Bryan Danielson/Claudio/Mox...all huge stars. All massively over. All doing exactly what they want to be doing. Mox and Claudio have won additional belts and all three have had high profile matches since leaving WWE. Bryan is able to work a lighter schedule and fill out his retirement tour with matches he actually wants to have.

-Christian is TNT champion and is more over than he has been in years.

-FTR toured the globe and won tag titles all over. They are WAY better off after leaving WWE.

-House of Black are an established tag team. Maybe Malakai would be more over in WWE. But they also used him like shit before he left. We can't just assume they would have done anything with him. He left for a reason...and he formed a great stable that people will remember. Murphy wasn't going to be a top guy anywhere. Sorry...he's just not that guy. He's a mid guy, and his AEW push has been pretty adequate. 

I think, you have people like Matt and Jeff Hardy, Miro, Keith Lee, etc...and it really comes down to factors like age/injuries and a lack of drive. Most of those guys have very legit reasons why they aren't featured prominently or "doing better" in AEW than they did in WWE.

Overall...I don't see how you could say that the majority of former WWE people were tarnished or anything like that. Most of them are doing fantastic. There are a few exceptions...and those exceptions have legit reasons outside of just "AEW dropped the ball".

Very few of them could be perceived as "losing value". Like I said...it's really just that small handful of names who are losing value for other reasons to begin with. 

Compare Mercedes Moné to someone like Bayley. - By all accounts, Bayley has been more active and more prominent, and should be perceived as the bigger star. She's about to main event WM for the women's title. But Mercedes Moné is all the wrestling world is talking about. And that's what true value looks like. Mercedes has that. She isn't going to lose that...because it's just something that she learned how to do. 

To the contrary...WWE took Jade. She had her rumble spot and a few appearances, but she's not regularly featured on the show. She's certainly no bigger than she was in AEW. She has her own starpower and her own aura, much like Mercedes....which is why I don't think it matters how Moné is used in AEW. They can't harm her starpower...it persists without any sort of push. 

Edited by Generations

2 hours ago, Generations said:

Typical salty response. (Both of you).

AEW can do no good in the eyes of some people. Lol

I've never been a huge Sasha Banks fan...but Mercedes Moné is a star. She's a good example of someone who can draw a crowd by doing very little. How many matches did she even have in Japan before being injured? Like 3? And yet...she's huge. Bigger than ever. It's all about presentation.

She will help AEW a lot with their overall image. Sometimes there's more to a performer than just how well they actually wrestle. *cough CM Punk* ... Moné has mastered the art of manipulation. She can have a staredown or tease a single match and make it mean something. - That's special in this era. It's something that most lack. 

That’s rich coming from you. You do an awful lot of bitching yourself. lol

Mercedes is an average, mid card wrestler. She’s not awful but she ain’t truly exceptional either.  She’s similar to Claudio in that respect. Both are worth having on a roster, but neither are difference makers. At least for Claudio ppl accept him for what he is whereas for Mercedes ppl can’t help but go out of their way and make her into a bigger deal than she really is… like you just did.

I for one never cared about her and thought she was massively overrated in every way except in the ring to an extent. I don't give a damn if she goes All Elite or stays in NJPW! Cool for her fans and I'd check out her AEW matches to be fair but can't say I'd react much if she ever debuts on an AEW show

2 hours ago, Generations said:

Very few of them could be perceived as "losing value". Like I said...it's really just that small handful of names who are losing value for other reasons to begin with. 

I’d argue Bryan and Claudio have lost value compared to their WWE days. Claudio is a guy who is just there. He has not done anything as significant as The Bar, for example. As for Bryan, he’s been plodding around having forgettable, pedestrian feuds. He’s still over but he definitely doesn’t have that aura he had in WWE when he left.

Then there’s Moxley who’s lost value in a different way. In terms of booking and kayfabe accolades, he’s done significant things. That’s true. But in terms of wrestling talent? He’s exposed himself as an abysmal wrestler with terrible instincts. So in that respect, he’s lost a lot of value for many in this community.

Claudio is absolutely better off in AEW. What did he ever get in WWE? US title and a couple tag titles?

At the very least, AEW made him a world champion. He's held the RoH world title now. Not once...but, twice. I'm sure that meant more to him than anything else in his entire career. So...no, he wasn't better off in WWE. That's crazy. 

Make whatever sly comments you want about the RoH title not being a "real" world title...(I'm sure they're coming)...but, WWE never made him a world champion and probably never would have. AEW did that for him...and it was a full-circle career moment that paid homage to his past.

So, yeah...becoming a two time world champion is bigger than "The Bar". And it's laughable that I should even need to say that...because it really goes without saying.

Edited by Generations

Nah, the BCC are anti-dimes to me, Claudios felt like an absolute stand in since he got there. 

- Danielson came in HOT and had a good few months but has dramatically cooled off, due to injuries and Khan's booking.

- Moxley was undeniably great for the first few years of AEW. However he's gotten considerably worse over the years to where I feel he's regressing as a wrestler! I genuinely think he's one of the worst 'top guys' currently working (considering his continued exposure). 

- Christian I can't argue with, he's been phenomenal WHEN allowed time to shine.

- I'm happy for Edge so I don't want to bad mouth him but his run has been underwhelming.  Don't think anyone's going to argue that.

- FTR are great in spite of Tony at times, he didn't strike when the iron was hot on several occasions. I do agree they're way more over now than they ever were in WWE.

My main problem always was and still is how the product is booked. People come in over or get over and they have stop start pushes. Get put in ludicrous matches with people they have no business wrestling, who they end up having competitive matches with. Getting chucked on ROH or other lesser shows which they have no business being on. Up and comers get hot like Hobbs, Takeshita, Starks and ate rarely capitalised on. Why Swerve is so refreshing as Tony seems to actually be sticking with someone's that's gotten over with the audience and doing it WHILST he's hot.