AEW Show Discussion

Guest Fight Me.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This match/feud is so weird. Mox has been acting like genuine asshole for the entirety of this feud and yet for this match he’ll be a super babyface because it’s his home state.

Everyone goes through that table pretty much every week.

Mox/Page sucked. Boring ass shit with a dull, anticlimactic finish.

Quite the lackluster show. Nothing really clicked with me. Lot of stuff we've already seen. Booking is very lazy. 

Not sure why Khan thinks booking the same match over and over again is something people want to see. Feels like every feud is a best of 7, 3rd encounter, 4th encounter, etc. It's way overdone. Stop booking the same matchups. You have half a roster that we never see on television.

Edited by Generations

AEW was having some years they were just hitting back to back home runs. So much that even if they weren’t at WWE’s level in terms of name, they were putting enough quality to compete. As of late so much is off. Great matches but little to no story is told to have people care. 

As a kid when I got into wwe, I tried wcw but I couldn’t get into it due to how they told stories. Imagine being a kid in the same scenario today.. aew does worse than wcw these days at that.

34 minutes ago, Kman said:

What y'all think about the Acclaimed match result?

I'm fine with it. Ass Boys don't have the "it factor" as a team...but, I don't mind the smaller belts changing hands more often. - I actually expected the belts to change hands (I just thought it would be due to Billy helping them). Either way, I wasn't at all shocked with the result...in fact, I would have been more surprised if it didn't happen.

I think there is still room to spin it like Billy helped them anyway (since the match only happened because of him). Ultimately, I think this is the story they will do...almost like the Sami/Bloodline stuff. They'll do a "can we trust Billy" thing where he will continue to prove himself...and ultimately, evidence will come out that there was a plan all along.

Edited by Generations

1 hour ago, PaperThinWalls said:

I’m so sick of Bryan having super competitive matches against guys he shouldn’t be super competitive with it. It devalues him so much.

Really not sure what this means. 

RUSH is a former ROH world champion and CMLL world champion...and there is absolutely nothing wrong with Bryan having a competitive match with him; He's literally one of the best in the world. - To a lesser degree, the same can be said for Timothy Thatcher. (Not a world champion, but recognized globally as a highly skilled technical wrestler with a mean streak). 

Takeshita (arguably the current fastest rising star)

Brian Cage (Impact world champion)

Bandido (ROH world champion)

...all very highly acclaimed performers. 

I'd be interested in the specifics of who you deem to be a "waste" of Danielson's time and name value.

Edited by Generations

All of ‘em. At the end of the day we all knew who was winning those matches. Those guys may have all those accolades but ultimately they don’t really matter. It’s just set dressing. CMLL champion? So? I’ve never watched CMLL, why should that mean anything to me? You know what’s more meaningful to me? How these guys are booked on their programming. When’s the last time Rush has won against a top caliber, well-pushed talent on Dynamite/Rampage? The guy is low mid-card and he had competitive “classic” against Bryan. Give me a break. 

It’s funny how they’ve pegged Takeshita as their “rising star” and yet he loses almost every single match they put him in on TV.

Brian Cage is a jobber and no one’s cares about him. Thatcher is a nobody. Bandido is a guy who barely shows up on their TV and when he has he’s only won once.

It’s a joke that Bryan is having super competitive 12-17 min matches against these guys every week. It’s such a shitty pattern. This past month it’s become so incredibly predictable to guess that Bryan was going to have a 10+ min “banger” that night on Dynamite. Such a joke. And who’s to blame? Bryan who thinks it’s important to have “classics” and “bangers” with everyone. And Tony Khan for allowing it. These matches should be at least half the length they’ve been.

Man...you have such a narrow perspective on wrestling. It really is wild. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thatcher is not a nobody. He's built quite the reputation as being one of the most ruthless wrestlers in the modern era. I know you are mostly a WWE guy...but there's no need to show your own ass so much. - Calling Thatcher a nobody would be akin to calling Dean Malenko a nobody during the attitude era. It would only serve to show your own bias. At no point would it actually reflect the truth. 

"CMLL? I've never watched CMLL, why should that mean anything to me?" - Again...no reason to show your own ass so much. - It's fine to be ignorant about a company...but to take it one step further and suggest that a company is meaningless, or their titles are meaningless just because you aren't familiar with them is something you really need to work on. CMLL is a 90 year old wrestling company.

Brian Cage - I don't see Brian Cage as anything particularly special...but, he's still a solid mid-card guy. Brian Cage isn't a jobber. - For you to even think about using the word jobber to describe someone who is literally a current champion is quite the eyebrow-raiser. Not my favorite performer...for sure. Jobber? No. Stop overusing that word.

Bandido - Truly one of the best performers in the world. Dude is only 27 years old. Very much still a rookie. Another one of the fastest rising stars. He's not around enough? He was only signed to AEW back in mid November. That's only a few months ago. To his credit...he had a barnburner with Bryan Danielson on AEW...so he's around, uh..."enough", apparently. (I mean...you're literally contradicting yourself by saying he isn't around). Side note - Bandido is having visa issues...so, yeah, maybe he isn't actually able to be booked as much as he'd like to be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the end of the day, Bryan is very likely wrestling EXACTYLY who HE wants to be wrestling. I doubt he's being booked against anyone who he doesn't feel he has chemistry with. - Dude is having great matches on Dynamite regularly, and doing so with guys who are capable of having great matches. Is there a story to it? No. Does there need to be? No. - Sometimes great wrestling is just great wrestling...and the Danielson matches have been one of very few highlights on AEW television lately.

We are all watching a wrestling show to see wrestling...and that is exactly what Danielson has been delivering on a weekly basis, against a fresh batch of opponents. - It isn't repetitive. It's always different. He's pulling talents from different places. He's doing what he does best. And we still have people who don't see that the man is doing exactly what he wants to be doing...it's exhausting, tbh.

On a final note...your perception that none of his opponents have a "real chance of beating him" is exactly that (your own perception). - If you were familiar with his opponents, or had a greater respect for their abilities, I suspect you would feel much differently about this. - Personally, I have been invested in every single one of his recent matches (aside from Brian Cage)...because I know that Thatcher is ruthless, and I know that RUSH and Bandido are two of the best international stars, and I know that Takeshita is being booked as someone who has the capability to shock and surprise. Surely, watching everything through the eyes of a skeptic will make you not care. I see this. - But, your opinion is flawed for this reason.

Edited by Generations

It’s not flawed. If Bryan somehow lost to one of these guys, there would be no match with MJF. That’s the stipulation. He has to win against all these guys to get in the championship match. You truly thought AEW would not book that match?

Yeah. Thatcher is a nobody in the grand scheme. I have nothing against him. His work is pretty good. He was fine in NXT. He’s never been booked as a really important guy on TV ever, so why have him go toe-to-toe against an all-timer? If he was booked as a major deal in AEW, it would be a different story. But he hasn’t. And that applies to the rest of the guys. If they were booked as major deals on AEW programming, then these long competitive match would have been well-earned. I can buy Omega, Page, Cole, Moxley, MJF et al. going long with Bryan because they’ve been treated as major deals on AEW’s programming. These guys? Absolutely not. So it’s silly. It’s a waste of time. And it’s self-masturbatory bullshit that ultimately means very little in the grand scheme.

I know Bryan wants to be booked this way. That’s exactly what I was getting at. You know who’s Bryan’s worst enemy? Himself. He’s devalued himself so much that he’s no longer a draw. It’s a bonafide fact that he means less now than he did when he first joined AEW and that’s on him.

BTW I wouldn’t consider myself a “WWE guy.” lol That implies that I’m a fan of their product when in reality I’m a fan of certain guys and feuds featured on their programming. Same for AEW.

Brian Cage is certainly not mid-card. He’s “lower card” to put it more politely if you’d like. Mid-card is Jungle Boy. Joe. Wardlow. The guy may be a champion but so was Dana Brooke and her little jobber belt somehow meant more than whatever Cage currently carries around.

Bandido was signed 3 months ago and he’s had grand total of… 1 match on TV since then! Whoa! Wow! 1 match in three months is pitiful. You know that, right? That doesn’t matter to me as much as the length of that match, though. I’m fine with Bryan facing and winning against Bandido. I’m not fine with them going nearly 18 mins. Which again is what this argument is all about. These matches can occur (although running MJF’s gauntlet angle is a bit played out and uninspired admittedly) just be shorter and less competitive. I know this may sound crazy… but save the long, highly competitive matches against guys who are booked to matter.

And I don’t think they should be doing that. Wrestling is not about having so-called “bangers” over and over again. That’s bad booking to me. It gets you nowhere. It’s too self-indulgent. It makes these matches feel less special. And it eats so much TV time from the rest of the roster who desperately need screen time to get over.

Well, I'm not a booker...so I don't really give a shit.

I'm a wrestling fan, and I remember good wrestling matches. 

When Bryan retires, it will be nice to look back and have great matches to re-watch.

That's where I'm fully at. (And I'm pretty sure that's where Bryan is at also). Dude already knows that he's on borrowed time, and I'm pretty sure he wants to have great matches as long as he can. Especially if he already knows there are no plans to make him the world champion, which he probably does.

Also, Bryan has never been someone who wins matches with ease. He has always scratched and clawed for victories. His tenacity has always been his top trait. - I am much more supportive of Danielson having a brawl with someone like Thatcher or RUSH than I ever was with him having a back and forth with someone like the Miz or Dolph Ziggler. These guys he's wrestling now are presented as legitimate brawlers. Everything about it makes perfect sense.

Luckily, I don't need to change your mind in order to keep enjoying it myself. But, I truly believe that Bryan is exactly where he wants to be, doing exactly what he wants to be doing. - None of this is a slight to his character. 

Edited by Generations

The problem with AEW for me is that it’s mostly just great wrestling. If the Bryan matches were surrounded by more cohesive and better stories then the matches would stand out more to a fan like me. Most of the time I find myself fast forwarding most of the matches on Dynamite because they are predictable and meant to just be a good match. Also my main problem with The Elite right now.

The problem in aew has always been the Booker of the year..

Out takes from a recent interview shows his attitude and his main problem

says the current run of AEW Dynamite is among the best there's been, cites the fan ratings on Cagematch as proof that what he's doing is resonating with audiences

About 175 people vote on the matches on that site and he goes by THAT? Lol...

No business growth, ratings going down and the locker room is falling apart- but at least 175 people likes his product enough to care to vote on the matches..

Don't forget that he uses his fantasy booking group of 3 people to also book aew..

Edited by glennsoe

The main problem is Jericho blowing smoke up everyone's asses, IMO. - He's been abusing the fact that he has a respected name and people listen to his opinions...BUT, almost every segment he appears in, or has any fingerprints on, is hot garbage. - I honestly think Tony is just a pushover. (We saw it with the Punk media scrum). - A man sat right next to him and basically spoke over him any time he tried to get a word out...or outright told the media what Tony thought on a subject before he could say it himself. 

I think the problem in AEW, is that you have a handful of people (Jericho being chief among them) who basically just dictate what the direction should be...and Tony follows suit. - That's how it's always appeared to me. - The product was great when Cody was around, because Cody has a brilliant mind for the business. - Things almost immediately went downhill after he left...which is not a coincidence, IMO.

Edited by Generations

To the discussion about Bryan having competitive matches  against everyone, I agree. It’s either look more dominant against these opponents or do that thing wwe does where they properly sell you how dangerous an opponent is and not where fans should know. I can bet all the money in the world that’s Bryan’s decision though (think him helping gulak in wwe).

This company helps me see wwe’s logic of building world champions to have contenders and champions be miles above most and not having everyone feel like equal competitors.

I really enjoy how JJ interacts with the crowd.

I think I rather see Cena sing than this match…

Well, there’s the Moxley blood.

The visual of a bloodied Mox carries sooooooooooo much weight.

Ohh, I liked how they connected Wardlow’s hair to his Dad. Now I’m invested in this feud.

I hope we get to see Mark continue climbing up the card.

MJF/Cole at either DON or All Out.

Bryan had a tougher time defeating Brian Cage than Jungle Boy. Let that soak in for a moment.

That Elite segment felt so kitschy.

lol HOB copying Wyatt’s corny editing trickery. Who are the bootleggers again?

Super phony plant spot. Whose idea was that?