• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Fight Me.

Whole timeline was ready for WAR PIGS, but I guess MJF was right about TK. 😔😔😔

Sheesh Jamie dropped Toni on her head.

Edited by Fight Me.

As much as I enjoyed MJF’s material and definitely the delivery, I’m really confused by the reaction online. Last night, I called it a great babyface promo, but it was in jest. Even though I personally found content to be agreeable and pretty accurate, I thought it was a heel promo for the majority of the audience who consumed it. He talked shit about Tony Khan and how he’s a total mark. He talked shit about modern wrestling faithfuls who devour this current style of wrestling that is needlessly reckless and hollow. And he talked shit about all these who fans who instantly clamor for practically every recently-released WWE talent to take up an AEW roster spot.

And yet, if you go on Reddit (who are so overwhelmingly pro-AEW), you’d get people telling you it was a babyface promo because he told the truth.

What?!?

If someone said what he said, they would undoubtedly get their ass-chewed by a good number of people there. But when MJF says it, well… he’s speaking the truth; he’s telling it like it is. Ummmm, since when was that the truth??? I’m so flabbergasted by this. lol He completely torn into the wrestling these guys and their ilk have been advocating for years and now he’s this Punk-esque, anti-establishment figure who will be fighting against the establishment… that they love.

HUH?!?!

Imo I think it’s because TK isn’t super likable. Sure he is the leader of a company that is primarily popular but the man himself isn’t. So that mixed with MJF speaking mostly truths, you have a baby face promo. People also want to cheer MJF bc he is so good. They boo mostly to go along with his character since we have enough “cool heels”. Now saying all that, I don’t think MJF will continue as face in this story or turn face anytime soon, outside of Long Island of course 

Hang on, since when was Tony not likable? The consensus, from what I gather, is still “he’s a good dude and he’s a super fan just like us.” Yeah, he’s super awkward in front of the camera but as a person, he’s much easier to like than say how fans perceive Vince. So I don’t know if I would agree with that.

As for fans just admiring MJF’s talent, I agree with that. There is some of that but I’m also seeing so many people casting him as the new CM Punk which strikes me as odd, especially with this group of fans I’m talking about. On that same strength, it was also odd seeing the live crowd cheering for him by the end, too. Again, he’s talk shit about the wrestling they like, the benevolent superfan Tony Khan, and all the ex-WWE guys (UE, Keith Lee, Buddy Matthews, et al) that all these fans were hoping AEW would sign. That’s what he did and now they’re on his side. lol

Maybe it’s just me that finds TK unlikable. Sure I appreciate what he is doing and has done some good but overall he rubs me the wrong way. 

I think on paper like you are saying, yes MJF should be full heel because for the most part the ex WWE guys have been fan favorites that were misused. The one small thing is that they are leaning on the WWE thing. Now if he just generally said “your favorite free agents” maybe he would have got more boos. But based on execution and delivery, it was a very face promo because everything MJF said was true and he continues to back it up. He is the first heel in a long time where he says something and then backs it up.

So most of us can agree now that Tony books like a mark? That the hardcore fans online are a bunch of marks who don’t know shit? That star ratings are unimportant? That overly-reckless wrestling ain’t cool? That this recent barrage of ex-WWE guys is a bit much? And that the best wrestlers are the ones who don’t do a bunch of bullshit (flips, hardcore wrestling) to make you feel?

I just want to be clear because that’s what I got from that promo. lol