AEW Show Discussion

Guest Fight Me.

Guest Fight Me.

FTR teasing Bret Hart possibly becoming their manager went completely over my head. That would be cool to see.

Edited by Fight Me.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

General thoughts

-6 Man Tag was awesome. Like, REALLY awesome. Probably gonna watch it again as I was still working during it, but I really liked what I saw

-Glad Starks is getting more TV time. Looking forward to Team Taz vs Lee matches

-Jericho's new stable looks like it'll be fun, this was a good promo

-Hardys vs PP was solid, but someone pointed out how heavy Jeff landed that Swanton. I really hope they stay safe, have this fun final run, then hang it up. I don't wanna see Jeff and Matt in wheelchairs by their 50's. If booked right, they could probably check every box within a year (feuds with Bucks, FTR, reDRagon, House of Black  & Lucha Bros, plus a short title run which I'm certain will happen)

-Steel Cage started off well but I didn't like the last 1/4-1/3 of it. The finishing sequence was so much more convoluted than it should've been, like they ran short on time and rushed spots instead of cutting them. I think it should've gone either big chairs spot into the finish or the Lockjaw hand smash into the finish. That extra chair shot for example was completely pointless. There was a good match here, it just drowned in excessive spots.

-That said, hyped for Rosa as champ. Feels very refreshing to have her with the gold and I'm looking forward to what she can do with people like Deeb

On 3/17/2022 at 9:24 AM, Fight Me. said:

FTR teasing Bret Hart possibly becoming their manager went completely over my head. That would be cool to see.

I don’t want to see that tbh. Don’t care how much they love Bret. Would it be cool for a big match ? Sure. But him replacing Tully as a full time manager would be dumb. 

3 minutes ago, Bushy. said:

I don’t want to see that tbh. Don’t care how much they love Bret. Would it be cool for a big match ? Sure. But him replacing Tully as a full time manager would be dumb. 

Is that the first name change that was done to not effect guys coming in ? If so, I’m surprised they didn’t change Brody King’s name. 

I know they kinda cut off Swerve’s first name too which surprised me. 

15 hours ago, Lunchbox said:

Is it me or has AEW hired and pushed a ton of POC since the Swore thing?

The one that was a little sus to me was Scorpio Sky, but per all the reporters his title win was planned since last year so... *shrug*

Otherwise? Starks and Hobbs were always gonna get pushed, Lee and Swerve are newly signed.

22 hours ago, Lunchbox said:

Is it me or has AEW hired and pushed a ton of POC since the Swore thing?

Yes, but I don’t see it as reactionary. Jade was always planned. They didn’t have Swerve or Keith Lee but that was expected they’d get pushed. They say Scorpio Sky’s push was always the plan so who knows. 

As a POC, I’m happy the direction they’re going in. It doesn’t feel forced, because all the black talent they have is actually *censored*ing good. No offense to legends like Booker T, Bobby Lashley or Mark Henry, but growing up I never felt connected to them like guys like Swerve, Keith Lee or even a guy like Carmelo Hayes in NXT.   

If Sky’s title run was planned a while back, then Tony Khan should have planned to have him wrestle more on TV. The guy barely wrestled on TV before becoming the TV champion. Looking at Cagematch, pre-title run, his last TV match was on Rampage in Oct. in some 6 man that I probably didn’t watch because well… it’s Rampage. lol For Dynamite, you have to go all the way back to JUNE to have seen him wrestle! That’s right… June. But get this: in 2021 Scorpio Sky, the current TNT champion, wrestled on TV a total of FIVE times the entire year. Five times. Wow. So this whole epic winning streak he’s had was practically non existent on their main shows for the past year. Sorry but that’s bad booking to me. I’m glad Sky is champ because I like him more than Sammy (who sucks big time right now), but they should have had him wrestle more on TV because while his stats say one thing, it doesn’t actually feel that way for TV viewers.

Tbh I agree. That's still something that AEW does that doesn't work for bigger stories is having these win streaks/records be built up on Dark or Elevation and then used for TV feuds. It's fine for "low card underdog trying to break out against midcarder" stories, but not for a new champion.

Guest Fight Me.
7 minutes ago, Luis LXXXV said:

Was Brody King big in the indies before AEW and joining the house of black or is he more unknown?

Yes, he made his name quickly before joining ROH and NJPW. He and Black are also the current PWG World Tag Team Champions.