AEW Show Discussion

Guest Fight Me.

11 hours ago, Counting Lights said:

Don't fully get the criticism for Sting & Darby's slow walk. Matt was a prick to them for months, they ain't gonna rush to help him. 

So they’re sadistic assholes then? They took their sweet ass time, so the baddies can get a few licks in on Matt? This justification is worse for me. lol See, if that’s the case, — if they’re recognizing their past with Matt, then I much rather see them being conflicted about making the save. Show the urgency. Show the hesitation. Show them briefly agonizing if they should save this prick. Then have their hearts give in — cause damnit, it’s the right thing to do! And boom, run straight at the heels and kick ass!

But nope, we got none of that. We got Sting and Darby slowing walking out to Darby’s music while they brood. Wow… exciting… 😐

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, PaperThinWalls said:

So they’re sadistic assholes then? They took their sweet ass time, so the baddies can get a few licks in on Matt? This justification is worse for me. lol See, if that’s the case, — if they’re recognizing their past with Matt, then I much rather see them being conflicted about making the save. Show the urgency. Show the hesitation. Show them briefly agonizing if they should save this prick. Then have their hearts given — cause damnit, it’s the right thing to do! And boom, run straight at the heels and kick ass!

But nope, we got none of that. We got Sting and Darby slowing walking out to Darby’s music while they brood. Wow… exciting… 😐

I mean yes, Sting and Darby are sadistic assholes lmao. Sting once sent a group of people that looked like him to get their ass beat by the NWO while he casually walked in to catch them by surprise.

I mean, I can understand your complaints to an extent, but the idea that Sting and Darby would  stand on the ramp visibly agonizing over saving somebody they don’t even like just doesn’t fit their characters at all. At the end of the day they feel obligated to do what’s right- and Darby has personal reasons to hate Andrade- but they aren’t going to feel emotionally torn over saving Matt Hardy, not at this point. Save a conflicted moment like that for characters it would actually align with. 

I do agree the whole thing felt a little off. I feel like it would have been better to have Jeff come out first and then have Sting and Darby run out with some urgency, looking after Jeff rather than Matt.

Yeah, maybe agonizing was too strong of a word. Just have a moment of hesitation and then run down to make the save since they’re noble babyfaces and they don’t like seeing anyone in an unfair battle. Idk. Point is, the slow walk was not a good image however it’s spun. To me it’s just bad producing. It needlessly slowed things down.

5 hours ago, PaperThinWalls said:

So they’re sadistic assholes then? They took their sweet ass time, so the baddies can get a few licks in on Matt? This justification is worse for me. lol See, if that’s the case, — if they’re recognizing their past with Matt, then I much rather see them being conflicted about making the save. Show the urgency. Show the hesitation. Show them briefly agonizing if they should save this prick. Then have their hearts give in — cause damnit, it’s the right thing to do! And boom, run straight at the heels and kick ass!

Some dude and his paid cronies have been beating you up for the last few weeks. You had a massive fight a few days ago. He has suddenly said "OMG I guess I was an asshole", but hasn't apologized to you personally yet (in any promo/segment). He's now getting jumped by the other asshole who helped him beat you up. His brother, who one of you had a horrible professional experience with (Sting/Victory Road), comes up to you and asks you to help.  Are you just gonna drop everything and rush out there? I take the "Fine, I'll do it because it's the right thing but I'm gonna complain the entire time" option as far more realistic, especially from characters like Darby and Sting who are far more anti-hero (and yes, quite sadistic as has been made clear) than blatant babyface. 

Matt deserved that beating, Darby and Sting both knew it.  It's a far better approach than the WWE style of "all faces are insta-friends!"

Edited by Counting Lights

That whole beatdown/save screamed WWE production the way it was produced. lol The music playing for their entrance. The lack of urgency. The artificial pace. The poor work. The fact they shoehorned Darby/Sting into this role just so they can manufacture the visual/moment of Darby/Jeff Hardy together cause we all know that was the real reason behind Darby/Sting’s involvement.

Sting and Darby are no way anti-heroes. They may be dark and brooding, but they’re babyfaces through and through; they’re here to do what’s right. I don’t know what was so sadistic about that nwo example mentioned above, but it sure was as poorly executed as this. lol If you’re going to have Sting perform an elaborate mind game to cause confusion, then do it with more logic. Instead of having Sting send out cannon-fodder to be sporadically taken out one at a time, why not have Sting surround himself with a mob of decoys (a la Whisperer style) and ambush the bad guys all at once? Isn’t that a better use of the decoys than having them being knocked out one at a time as they hit the ring?

Anyway, back to the present, as I said I don’t buy Sting being interested in prolonging Matt’s beating. Sorry, I’m not buying that spin. I’m not proposing this instant friends thing (which was not at all what my post was) but more emotional reluctance be shown that then subsides because ultimately they’re good guys and seeing anyone being ganged up like that is no good to them.

Guest Fight Me.
16 minutes ago, EJ! said:

-did they do a Scott Hall graphic?

I know they did on Twitter. I'm not sure about here tho cause my DVR didn't let me go back to the beginning so now I'm salty I missed all the entrances lmao

Guest Fight Me.

I guess they're finally turning Kris heel after that shit she said about Leyla being given up for adoption as a babyface lmao

Man, William Regal is the best.

Edited by Fight Me.

The no selling was so egregious. The match gave no shit about psychology. It was all about going from spot to spot and doing shit for the sake of doing it. There was no feeling in any of it. Clearly this win was meaningful to Rosa (as it should be) but man, I wish she, Britt, and whoever agented this match had a better mindset for putting a match together. The thought process behind the match and its execution were poor.

Great show ! Loved Rosa winning the belt and the confetti celebration. 

AEW needs to tone down on the blood though even though it was expected tonight. I’m fine with thumbtacks taking a long ass break. They mean nothing anymore and AEW has abused the spot to death.