AEW Show Discussion

Guest Fight Me.

20 minutes ago, PaperThinWalls said:

But isn’t that more “Ha Ha! Look how dumb/silly that is! Ha! Ha! Funny!” and then they move on to the next dumb thing. Where’s the money in that?

Exactly. The only thing casual fans think about wrestling when guys like him are on is "look at how stupid this is! How can anyone watch this?" He makes wrestling look like a joke. Same can be said for even the more serious scrawny guys like Gargano and Cole.  If you're gonna be smaller you at least need to look like a damn athlete (Mysterio, Theory, Starks, etc.)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, PaperThinWalls said:

But isn’t that more “Ha Ha! Look how dumb/silly that is! Ha! Ha! Funny!” and then they move on to the next dumb thing. Where’s the money in that?

nah i specifically remember rappers quoting with things like “yo who is this?” and fans told them who he was. there was laughter but it wasn’t belittling laughter. tbh virality is arguably the most important asset you can have in this day and age. nobody cares that you’re big, the average person already stereotypes pro wrestlers as big beasts so i don’t see how that would bring new viewers. times are different, a Muscle & Fitness cover doesn’t do as much to garner curiosity as a clip of a cool spot or cool character work being spread all over social media.

I didn’t comment on the size thing. I was strictly addressing your point that social media brings in the casuals, which I’m not very convinced by. At best it brings brand awareness, but generally I don’t think it’s a big factor in putting asses into seats or converting a significant number of casuals into actual viewers. My impression is it’s disposable entertainment for most. They giggle and they move on.

8 hours ago, PaperThinWalls said:

I didn’t comment on the size thing. I was strictly addressing your point that social media brings in the casuals, which I’m not very convinced by. At best it brings brand awareness, but generally I don’t think it’s a big factor in putting asses into seats or converting a significant number of casuals into actual viewers. My impression is it’s disposable entertainment for most. They giggle and they move on.

BINGO!

7 hours ago, EJ! said:

this is my first time seeing Hook’s entrance. him coming out to Action Bronson makes me smile. he’s got the badass aura on lock

Meh. He looks too much like an average teenage kid to be believable as a badass. He's got to start hitting the gym and putting on weight.

21 hours ago, Nxt2.0Fan said:

Wrong. Smarks are the ones who ruin wrestling by watering it down to a bunch of fake moves down by generic skinny people. Casuals are the ones who dictate the health of the wrestling business, just look at the Rock n Wrestling and Attitude Eras. The less casuals are viewing, the worse off the business is. And the workrate indie bullshit is what ran them off to begin with. This is why I prefer NXT 2.0, it's a return to what made pro wrestling great once upon a time: characters, storylines, wrestlers that actually look like wrestlers, and actual, feminine, sexy women instead of whatever the hell Raquel Gonzalez is supposed to be.

You say this but ratings for the product have dropped since 2.0.

Casuals are not consistent. The problem is that they alter the overall product by demanding that it cater to the lowest common denominator...and then they only watch once in a while, while regular viewers are left saying "who asked for this shit?" - As a fan, I don't care if a company is an unstoppable juggernaut of business. I want an enjoyable product. Look at how WWE keeps posting record earnings, but is barely *censored*ing watchable. AEW might fail to hit every single mark that they aim to hit...but they have a much more watchable product overall than WWE. If you care about casual viewers (still not sure why you would as a fan)...then WWE is the place for you. AEW never claimed to be about that side of things. To the contrary, AEW was always intended for the "true" fan. 

Edited by Generations

Guest Fight Me.

Starting Rampage now...is Danhausen officially apart of Best Friends? If so, does that make him apart of CHAOS? Danhausen & Okada when?

Beretta wearing one of his old RPG Vice attires is a nice touch.

Bro, what's the Bucks popping blood vessels in people's eyes? First Daniels and now Trent? lol

Edited by Fight Me.

Guest Fight Me.

Now that I've had time to think about it...it was hype to see Jay debut but why they debut him like that in a random backstage lmao

Also I know Cole brought in Jay to *Censored* with Kenny but I love that it gets even more *censored*ed over on Impact cause White and GoD are currently feuding with the Good Brothers too. The Bullet Club never ending civil war lives on lol

When Hook came into AEW, I didn't get what his role was because he was always just among the group in segments or at ringside and never did or said anything but now, damn that boy can go! He went from me thinking he was a useless and random hire in the company to me being a fan and so glad he's on the roster!

I don't know anything about him like if he was an indi wrestler or what . I thought he was just a younger punk kid version of Mike Nakagazawa 

I think Hook’s size is fine for now. He fits the young heartthrob image and those guys can be a little undersized. He’s got a great physique and actually looks like someone who can hold their own in the ring. Plus, he has intensity and works like someone who can fight. So I see no problem with him. In the future, when he’s older and higher-up on the card, maybe he’ll need to add some muscle mass so he doesn’t look too out-of-place when he’s up against larger opponents. But for now, his presentation is fine with me.

3 hours ago, Generations said:

Casuals are not consistent. The problem is that they alter the overall product by demanding that it cater to the lowest common denominator...and then they only watch once in a while, while regular viewers are left saying "who asked for this shit?" - As a fan, I don't care if a company is an unstoppable juggernaut of business. I want an enjoyable product. Look at how WWE keeps posting record earnings, but is barely *censored*ing watchable. AEW might fail to hit every single mark that they aim to hit...but they have a much more watchable product overall than WWE. If you care about casual viewers (still not sure why you would as a fan)...then WWE is the place for you. AEW never claimed to be about that side of things. To the contrary, AEW was always intended for the "true" fan. 

So casuals aren't true fans? This mindset is exactly why nobody watches now.

3 hours ago, Generations said:

AEW is mostly cringe by the way. Danhausen? Best Friends? Orange Cassidy? Adam Cole, GayGay? Young Cucks? No thanks

8 hours ago, Nxt2.0Fan said:

AEW is mostly cringe by the way. Danhausen? Best Friends? Orange Cassidy? Adam Cole, GayGay? Young Cucks? No thanks

omg lmaoooo this dude is a youtube comment section all by himself 

Listen man…I watch joshi, particularly Stardom, and it ain’t because they’re technical wizards. I like the characters and the fight/struggle aspects of wrestling moreso than how pretty and/or technically sound the moves look. I even watch for the pretty women at times. There are seemingly similarities in our way of looking at the business and what actually draws, but you can get that homophobic shit outta here.