Guest Fight Me.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Fight Me.

Let my mans Kyle rest for a bit. If I'm him, I'm taking holidays off at least. :lol:

But yeah, I don't think this show matched up to last year's Winter is Coming. I sort of was expecting another Sting level surprise.

The show didn’t need a surprise. They’ve had several surprises and debuts the last few months. AEW should be weary of conditioning their fans to expect a surprise so frequently. Surprises should be infrequent. You shouldn’t be *expecting* a surprise — that defeats the whole purpose of a surprise. What the show lacked was not a surprise. To me, what it lacked, was compelling drama and interesting story developments, which I feel is something they’ve been lacking for a while aside from the occasional feud like Punk/Kingston or Bryan’s heel turn.

I agree about the surprise thing for sure. A lot of people seemed to spoil the show for themselves by expecting Kyle, Gargano or even Wyatt. Like damn, we just had so many wild debuts recently.

I myself really dug Hangman vs Bryan. It was really cool seeing Hangman essentially go into "I just gotta time this out" mode after a while, while Bryan just meticulously destroyed him. It also opens the door for a more aggressive pace whenever they rematch.

Deeb vs Shida was solid, but also the weakest of their trilogy I thought, though I liked the finish.

What was disappointing as hell to me was Dante vs MJF. Dante was all sizzle no steak, and while he's athletic AF, it was just a showcase of his flippy-shit. I think separating him from any teacher, be it Rush or Taz is a HUGE mistake. 

Just read the replies in here. Y’all are taking the term “surprise” too literally. I think most expected The Briscoes to pop up when the lights went dark. Sting & Darby appearing was just disappointing. Just literally have them run out instead of turning off the lights with a tease lol

I don’t get why anyone expected Bray. I love him, but I don’t even really want him in AEW honestly. I thought O’Reilly is/was a given because of the Undisputed/Elite storyline they got going on. So again, these “surprises” aren’t to be taken too literal. 

Wait, what? lol You’re talking about don’t take surprise literally but then you go to talk about how you kinda expected/wished the Briscoes and/or Kyle to show up. Those would be surprise debuts being that they were unannounced and never advertised to be there. When I made my post about surprises, the lights-going-out trope wasn’t even on my mind (which btw is a trope I would love to see go away, it’s so convoluted and overused, especially by AEW), I was basically talking about how AEW doesn’t need surprises to liven a show since they’ve been relying on them a bit much lately.

On 12/18/2021 at 9:55 AM, PaperThinWalls said:

Wait, what? lol You’re talking about don’t take surprise literally but then you go to talk about how you kinda expected/wished the Briscoes and/or Kyle to show up. Those would be surprise debuts being that they were unannounced and never advertised to be there. When I made my post about surprises, the lights-going-out trope wasn’t even on my mind (which btw is a trope I would love to see go away, it’s so convoluted and overused, especially by AEW), I was basically talking about how AEW doesn’t need surprises to liven a show since they’ve been relying on them a bit much lately.

I said what I said. Not changing my opinion. O’Reilly appearing tonight was a surprise, but it was a given. 

Regardless, him in AEW is perfect and fits storyline purposes. That’s really all my point is. We don’t need Bray/Windham though. 

I think we all knew it was coming, but God damn, Kyle O"Reilly! Undisputed freakin Era are All Elite!!!

I'm definitely interested in how this story plays out. I'm not craving a UE reunion that bad, but UE vs The Elite sounds pretty freaking nuts. Do they just play with expectations until Kenny can come back?