Official Money in the Bank Discussion Thread

Jeb ★

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Luchador LXXXV said:

I'm kinda surprised there's John Cena fans on here. Besides the Dr. of Thugononics gimmick, I was never a fan and felt he was over pushed and overrated although he was tolerable at times but his 15x wwe championship resume is such bs!

I'm worried he'll beat Roman and get his record breaking 16th title reign but that said, I'm okay with him being back now for Summerslam or however long as it'll probaly still be part time and I get/respect that his return is huge for a lot of fans and there's a whole generation of fans as not everyone grew up with wrestling pre-ruthless aggression era like I did. This is to some people what Rock's return was for me or whenever legends appear 

can’t speak for anybody else, but i was 9 years old when he won the WWE Championship at WM21. he was pretty much God for me at that point.

Speaking as someone who didn't like Cena very much during his run (and probably still won't if I ever re-watch that stuff), I'm glad he's back simply because I'm looking forward to his promos and his ability to work a crowd. It's so natural and effortless. It's something not many can do nowadays and I miss that.

So I watched the show after work.

Jimmy Uso gets DUI, gets a title. lolwut

Womens MitB was pretty fun, but wtf, Nikki? This feels like Otis 2.0. Granted, I'm not watching the main shows, but I was so invested in Liv winning and it sucks seeing MitB used for a joke character. Nikki was great in Sanity, but this weird hero thing? WTF man... I genuinely expect her to lose the case to Alexa in a few months. I actually really liked the way the finish was done too, very creative, but... should've been Liv.

Skipped Raiders vs AJ/Omos. Don't care about non-teams tbh, and I figured Raiders were taking the L.

Bobby vs Kofi was... ok. I get what they wanted to do with Bobby, and the man looked good. But I'm just really bored of World title squashes.

Skipped Rhea vs Charlotte. I don't bother with Charlotte title matches these days. She wins and my day is ruined.

Mens Mitb was awesome. I was LOSING MY SHIT when JoMo was climbing near the end, thinking they were actually gonna pull the trigger on him. Big E is still a great choice, and I'm content with that. I do think he should cash in as a regular match though, as a powerhouse face he'd probably benefit from that more.

What did bother me so much more was Seth's promo about "I get next". If it's that easy for this man to get a title shot, why was he in MitB over Cesaro? Just seems pointless. Yeah yeah it could guarantee him an easy win in kayfabe, I get that. Just from a booking perspective I'm scratching my head a bit.

Edge vs Roman was pretty solid. Nothing crazy, but they really cranked it up in the last 15 minutes or so. Seth sneaking in... eh. I'm super down for Edge vs Rollins, just not sure I liked Seth getting involved here. 

DO DODO DOOOOOOOO I popped hard for Cena. It's funny how Face vs Face Cena vs Roman was a total meme, but Face vs Heel this shit has me hyped enough that'll I'll tune in at least a bit.

edit: lol ok, eating my words on one of those things, still think it was a bad idea

15 hours ago, EJ! said:

not for me, i don’t really care because he’s still an insanely hard worker, it’s just hard for a regular human to maintain that work rate without some help with recovery. my thing is, as long as everyone knows what they’re doing and they’re healthy and not hurting anybody else, then have at it.

I just always try to imagine Cena was the one exception but that’s also foolish of me I’m sure…lol

Fax. Charlotte vs Rhea has been a horrible feud but their match last night was excellent. 

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I wanted Charlotte to beat Asuka for the title earlier this year and face Rhea at Mania with Rhea finally going over after her defeat in the empty PC last year. Like the match we got at MITB could’ve easily been what we got in April. 

21 hours ago, Luchador LXXXV said:

I'm kinda surprised there's John Cena fans on here. Besides the Dr. of Thugononics gimmick, I was never a fan and felt he was over pushed and overrated although he was tolerable at times but his 15x wwe championship resume is such bs!

I'm worried he'll beat Roman and get his record breaking 16th title reign but that said, I'm okay with him being back now for Summerslam or however long as it'll probaly still be part time and I get/respect that his return is huge for a lot of fans and there's a whole generation of fans as not everyone grew up with wrestling pre-ruthless aggression era like I did. This is to some people what Rock's return was for me or whenever legends appear 

Okay so here’s the thing. I started watching wrestling on January 1st, 2007. The night John Cena took on K-Fed. As a new, 11 year old mark, it was instantly obvious that he was THE GUY. I loved him like any kid would love SuperMan...until I started going on the internet and let smarks sway my opinion on him to look “cool”. “Y-y-yeah ! Cena sux !!!1!! He only has 5 movez !” 

Yes, John Cena was insanely over pushed for most of his career. He wasn’t the best wrestler, but he was still the biggest start we associate with that generation. I wanna say in like 2014-2015ish my opinion towards him really started to change. But I did want him gone from the top. 

The turning point for me was him losing to Kevin Owens on Elimination Chamber 2015. Yes, he beat KO, the next month, and yes, he beat Rusev the month before, and seriously damaged Bray’s career in 2014, but I finally felt like the tide was starting to change in his career. Overall, just Cena with the United States Championship and his “Open Challenge” I think won a ton of people over. He was a champ, but a mid card champ. He was giving newer guys a bigger platform in the spotlight. Can’t forget his feud with Rollins & dropping the belt to him later that year. 

I believe it was 2016 where he started to go part time. Yeah, that’s definitely when a lot of the “hate” that Cena built up during his career started to subside. They say absence makes the heart grow founder, and that was truly the case with Cena at this point in his career. He was also noticeably trying harder and having better matches at this point in his career consistently than ever before. We as fans were truly allowed to step back and appreciate what the guy has done for us at about 11-12 years at top at that point and go “wow, maybe we were wrong to give him all this shit”.  I still feel like they dropped the boat on turning him heel a couple of times, but it is what it is. 

So alas, he wrestled sporadically and gave it his all every time. I think it also helped that no newer star was ever built to be on his level, especially during the failed Roman Reigns 2014-2018 experiment. A lot of his sudden “fandom” is just appreciation for a guy who busted his ass for almost 20 years of his life and is finally moving on to be a big star in Hollywood and every once in a while comes back to wrestler for us. It’s hard to hate that. Hoped that explained it. 

14 hours ago, PaperThinWalls said:

You missed the MOTN.

14 hours ago, Bushy. said:

Fax. Charlotte vs Rhea has been a horrible feud but their match last night was excellent. 

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I wanted Charlotte to beat Asuka for the title earlier this year and face Rhea at Mania with Rhea finally going over after her defeat in the empty PC last year. Like the match we got at MITB could’ve easily been what we got in April. 

Eh, maybe, but I just can't watch Charlotte anymore. Especially not in title matches. 

2 hours ago, Counting Lights said:

Eh, maybe, but I just can't watch Charlotte anymore. Especially not in title matches. 

I can see that, its the same for me with John Cena.
I dont care how good a promo or match is said to be with him, i just cant watch the guy anymore.

Archived