AEW Double or Nothing 2021 Discussion Thread

Guest Fight Me.

Amazing show. Best PPV I've seen in years and worth having a shit day at work after the 5am finish. 

Blood & Guts and Stadium Stampede should have been switched around, as should the winning teams. Cody winning over Ogogo was dumb af and all it did was showcase a rich white man once again defeats the black immigrant. I tuned out of that match. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Counting Lights said:

I think Hangman will face Kenny at All Out.

We know Jungle Boy is next, and I do think we get Christian Cage challenging over the summer too (along with maybe one or two more short build defences like this one wioth JB, maybe against like Darby and Kaz?), before Hangman finally goes for it.

I sure hope so. Those all sound good!

13 hours ago, A N T I - said:

Everybody swore the Inner Circle was breaking up because Fozzy is going on tour soon. It was a good swerve, but of course a swerve for the sake of a swerve is never good if there's no plan afterward. We'll see where they go from here.

I wasn't thinking of Fozzy tours or anything like that...I just wanted Inner Circle to break up, because almost everybody would be better off. The only two who really need Inner Circle right now are Jericho and Hager. Everyone else is much more interesting doing other things. Santana and Ortiz could be tag team champions overnight if they weren't stuck in Inner Circle. Sammy could have a singles push to the moon. 

17 minutes ago, Generations said:

I wasn't thinking of Fozzy tours or anything like that...I just wanted Inner Circle to break up, because almost everybody would be better off. The only two who really need Inner Circle right now are Jericho and Hager. Everyone else is much more interesting doing other things. Santana and Ortiz could be tag team champions overnight if they weren't stuck in Inner Circle. Sammy could have a singles push to the moon. 

My fear is that, if the Inner Circle splits up, they won’t get those pushes and will just be some other guys on the roster, like they were before the Inner Circle. Like I said, it all depends on what they do now, going forward. They could all chase championship gold now if they want. The inner circle is a babyface group now it puts a different spin on Jericho vs Omega. Sammy could chase the TNT champion. LAX could chase the Bucks. They could still do all these things while they’re a unit. I do see your point but they didn’t split up, so we just have to see where they go from here.

11 minutes ago, A N T I - said:

My fear is that, if the Inner Circle splits up, they won’t get those pushes and will just be some other guys on the roster, like they were before the Inner Circle. Like I said, it all depends on what they do now, going forward. They could all chase championship gold now if they want. The inner circle is a babyface group now it puts a different spin on Jericho vs Omega. Sammy could chase the TNT champion. LAX could chase the Bucks. They could still do all these things while they’re a unit. I do see your point but they didn’t split up, so we just have to see where they go from here.

Jericho is Jericho and mostly always been known as a solo guy. Before AEW started, he was just expected to be in the title picture for a while.

Sammy was being pushed like a mid card star or something during press conferences and stuff before AEW started.

Ortiz and Santana came in when they were recently Impact and indie tag champions.

Hagar came in like a body guard but also treated like a big star.

Inner Circle formed too early and fast 

Nah, the Inner Circle stable forming early on was smart. I agree that the way most of them have been used individually for... shit, almost a year it feels has not optimal (to put it nicely). But it was a good idea to introduce all these guys using Jericho; he definitely gave them the rub.

So one thing that irks me about the main event and matches that are suppose to be intense blood feuds is if you really hate a guy that much that your want to have a massive brawl to get to them, especially after they hurt you why the *Censored* would do a long special entrance? 

The PPV was pretty good but the fact that almost every match had some sorta distraction reeked of 2000 WCW where noones communicating whats going on in their match so you have nothing but *censored*ery in ever match and its been a constant on AEW events in general. But jesus christ Cody Rhodes might be worse than Triple H and thats saying ALOT. 

I don't think anyone needs to be worried about Sammy Guevara post Inner Circle. Dude is clearly seen as a big deal to management, as he has consistently had his own feuds going on and got several singles matches on PPV against people like Darby and Hardy. And seeing as they gave him the pin in Stampede 2? Nah, he's gonna be perfectly fine. Probably in a similar position to Jungle Boy, but heel.

LAX will also be fine I think. AEW treats their tag teams pretty well. I'd argue they're in need of the split more than anyone to get a proper spotlight, if anything.

Meanwhile, I think Hager is the most likely to fade away. I don't have much interest in his current incarnation as a singles champion. Maybe act as a bodyguard to a shithead heel Ethan Page or Ricky Starks? I dunno, I can't see him fitting anywhere as anything but someone's body guard. Heck, maybe they sign someone by the time IC splits that makes more sense to pair with Jake but for now... eh.

Then I gotta figure Jericho is retiring in the next few years, so it's just a matter of WHO retires him. Dude reinvents himself very well, so I'd be interested to see what post-Inner Circle Jericho is like. I'm not entirely against another World title run if he were to do it with a new character (and if he gets back into shape...and ideally goes through some personal moral reforms). If anything, I'd be down for a "Mad With Power" type final boss character for him, maybe attaching his career to the title, meaning whoever beats him for the belt also puts him down for good. That'd be a hell of a rub to give someone Guevara who would be prime for the big belt in 2-3 years time.

12 hours ago, Counting Lights said:

I don't think anyone needs to be worried about Sammy Guevara post Inner Circle. Dude is clearly seen as a big deal to management, as he has consistently had his own feuds going on and got several singles matches on PPV against people like Darby and Hardy. And seeing as they gave him the pin in Stampede 2? Nah, he's gonna be perfectly fine. Probably in a similar position to Jungle Boy, but heel.

LAX will also be fine I think. AEW treats their tag teams pretty well. I'd argue they're in need of the split more than anyone to get a proper spotlight, if anything.

Meanwhile, I think Hager is the most likely to fade away. I don't have much interest in his current incarnation as a singles champion. Maybe act as a bodyguard to a shithead heel Ethan Page or Ricky Starks? I dunno, I can't see him fitting anywhere as anything but someone's body guard. Heck, maybe they sign someone by the time IC splits that makes more sense to pair with Jake but for now... eh.

Then I gotta figure Jericho is retiring in the next few years, so it's just a matter of WHO retires him. Dude reinvents himself very well, so I'd be interested to see what post-Inner Circle Jericho is like. I'm not entirely against another World title run if he were to do it with a new character (and if he gets back into shape...and ideally goes through some personal moral reforms). If anything, I'd be down for a "Mad With Power" type final boss character for him, maybe attaching his career to the title, meaning whoever beats him for the belt also puts him down for good. That'd be a hell of a rub to give someone Guevara who would be prime for the big belt in 2-3 years time.

They should have never joined the Inner Circle. Both are talented enough to get over on wrestling alone and MJF only joined the Inner Circle to destroy it and become mega heel but we see how thats going.  But thats the type of WCW shit AEW is doing gotta keep Jericho happy and strong despite being thrown off a cage back in less than three days. 

Archived