Official NXT TakeOver: Stand & Deliver Discussion Thread

Jeb ★

5 minutes ago, Fight Me. said:

I thought he almost did with that intro lol

Nah I think WWE is willing to pay for those few CFO$ themes that became sort of iconic like Bálor's and Seth's.

UE's theme should've been part of that few ??

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jeb ? said:

loved that

I think Cole showed a next level in this feud in terms of being a duchebag. even in the short run as a babyface with the UE against Pat, he showed how just simply... cool, he can be. can't remeber a time I though that for somebody in WWE. 

right now, I'm not excited one bit for him on the main roster. but he has the potential to have the success Rollins had/has, and more. 

Thoughts:

Night one - Expected somewhat more from Kushida/Dunne but solid match nonetheless. Gauntlet was alright for what it was bar some questionable booking. WALTER/Ciampa and the Tag Team three-way were both absolutely killer bouts, with the former being especially insane. Loved every minute. Didn't think Ciampa had been anywhere near his best these last few months but he was back here. Happy for MSK too, love them. Such a fun, charismatic team. Raquel winning was predictable and I understood why the Women's Championship match main evented but it wasn't anything special in all honesty. Hope the reign is good.

Night two - Expected much more from Escobar/Devlin. Not a bad match by any means but was kinda... forgettable? idk guess I just had higher hopes from these two. Didn't really care too much for the women's tag bout. Decent for the time it got. Couldn't get myself into Gargano/Reed initially but it picked up at the right time. Reed is super cool and hopefully he's champion soon. Balor/Kross was just the last straw for me in regards to Kross. It was his best match in NXT yet but that doesn't say much. It should have been better and I officially don't care about him. Gave him a lot of time but he just doesn't cut it for me. Not sure who's gonna be the one to beat him but hopefully they find someone soon. 

Cole/KOR was *censored*ing fantastic. Seriously. I do get why people felt it was overbooked but it was absolutely flawless for me for the story they wanted to tell. There were multiple instances where I was 100% sure it was it for KOR only to be proven wrong, and absolutely nothing felt weird or unrealistic about that, because that's how good they both are and that's how good a job they did of investing me into the match. I absolutely loved it from start to finish. Didn't think they could outdo WALTER/Ciampa but they did and so much more. Kudos to both. Glad KOR won too. That finish was absolutely brutal. 

Idk which night I'd say was better. Both had some underwhelming bits and a MOTY contender. Think I'd just give the edge to night two.

Just wrapped the show. It was ok.

Storm vs Starks - Was what it was. Fine.

Dunne vs Kushida - Very, very good match. Lots of fun watching these two outmaneuver one another. The hard thing was neither could afford a loss here. I think Dunne winning was right, but Kushida needs something big.

Gauntlet - Meh. I like most of these guys fine, but match wasn't memorable. 

Ciampa vs WALTER - I can not hype this match enough. It stole the show and is my current MOTY. Everything from Ciampa coming out with his head shaved, to the blatant violence of WALTER to the story around the chops, it was perfect. I haven't been as engaged by a wrestling match in a very, very long time. This was peak Ciampa, and peak Ciampa is among the best in the world.

Triple Threat Tag - Solid stuff, Legado broke out in this match I think. And I liked GYV a lot too. MSK are wankers though, I don't like em. They look like shitty rappers.

Raquel vs Io - Honestly? Very average stuff. Io's dive was a neat spot but otherwise.... meh. Not super hyped for Raquel's reign.

Breezango vs Dain/Drake - Nothing special, but my boys coming out in Pirate gear was an A+

Escobar vs Devlin - It was good. Nothing remarkable. The moonsault was a crazy spot though. Right guy won, but I also want Escobar to drop the belt soonish.

The Way vs Shotzi/Ember - Pretty fun. The Way should've won.

Gargano vs Reed - Solid. Kinda surprised Reed lost, but it was a good showing for him.

Kross vs Balor - I gave it a shot, but I maintain: Kross is hot garbage. I knew he'd win, but what a shame.

KOR vs Cole - I might get crucified for this, but I thought it went way too long. I was pretty excited for it, but I ended up losing interest after a bit. Glad KOR won. Both new themes are trash.

I get the criticism for KOR/Cole, but... I think the feud warranted it, also given the fact that this will probably the only match in the feud.

And in the end, I think Kyle winning made a big difference. Cole didn't need it kinda. But Kyle was established as someone who could go next week and challenge Kross and you would think he has a  good shot.

I think there are way more positives to this match than negative. Including the overall presentation of the match. It really brought Kyle to a new level, more importantly it elecated him, and Cole managed to be a convincing heel, a total douchebag, different from before.

was it too long? I guess a little too long yeah, but it wasn't just time wasting with long brawls or something. and selfindulgent? that would be those Roman matches like at Hell in a Cell.

3 hours ago, AONO. said:

I get the criticism for KOR/Cole, but... I think the feud warranted it, also given the fact that this will probably the only match in the feud.

And in the end, I think Kyle winning made a big difference. Cole didn't need it kinda. But Kyle was established as someone who could go next week and challenge Kross and you would think he has a  good shot.

I think there are way more positives to this match than negative. Including the overall presentation of the match. It really brought Kyle to a new level, more importantly it elecated him, and Cole managed to be a convincing heel, a total douchebag, different from before.

was it too long? I guess a little too long yeah, but it wasn't just time wasting with long brawls or something. and selfindulgent? that would be those Roman matches like at Hell in a Cell.

This is my take on it too. For most other matches it would have felt needlessly long but this one warranted it and at no point during the match was I like "just end this already" because I thought it was important for the story they needed to tell and they both did a remarkable job.

It was one of the better efforts of this sort of style recently (it's far better than that vastly overrated Baker/Rosa match that people went gaga for), but it was still a weapons match and there's only so much can be done with that kind of match without getting redundant. I mean, this match was 40 mins long! Come on... The story they were telling did not require that amount of time. In fact, not many matches require that amount of time. If it was half that length, it would have been much better.

7 hours ago, PaperThinWalls said:

It was one of the better efforts of this sort of style recently (it's far better than that vastly overrated Baker/Rosa match that people went gaga for), but it was still a weapons match and there's only so much can be done with that kind of match without getting redundant. I mean, this match was 40 mins long! Come on... The story they were telling did not require that amount of time. In fact, not many matches require that amount of time. If it was half that length, it would have been much better.

in retrospect, I can't really agree. But if you would tell me in advance that it will be a 40min long one, an "unsanctioned" match at that, I would think about skipping through it. Like I have said, in defence of the longevity... this is most likely their only one for a long time, or ever in WWE (at least like this). So they had a lot of stuff to tell, from Coles character perspective and KORs character perspective. And both were really really on point. Both got a lot of out of it. This was like both a start and a closure of the feud. Could have they done it with 15-20 mins less? Maybe. But I don't mind letting them go like this, since almost everything they have done led to certain things. And it wasn't just finisher and false finishes spamming. Hell, even the ref spot was funny and well done, which at this point is a hrad thing to achieve.  

I get your point about weapons too, but it wasn't really overdone, in fact they were really effective. And not a lot of brawling around too, which in these kind of street fights or whatever is not an often occurence. 

12 hours ago, PaperThinWalls said:

I agree completely with this (except for my cross out).

Baker/Rosa was a cliched hardcore spotfest. They went from one weapon spot to the next. Brawl in crowd. Check. Suplex on chair pile. Check. Ladder spot. Check. Table spot. Check. Thumb tacks. Check. It’s territory that’s been explored to ad nauseam by now. The formula is stale and dull. Cole/O’Reilly, in comparison, was less cliched and had much better work and psychology. I’d take Ciampa/Gargano unsanctioned match over either of these, though. Easily.

Definitely agree with Ciampa/Gargano being better, but that's also because their feud was infinitely better in my eyes. Not that KOR/Cole or Baker/Rosa were bad feuds, but Gargano/Ciampa is one of my all time favorite feuds ever (and I have some bias as I was there live for both the Ciampa heel turn and their Unsanctioned match)

Archived