Official WrestleMania 37 Discussion Thread

Jeb ★

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok overall....very average show IMO, with a strong finish

Drew vs Bobby - It was fine. Bobby is bang average in the ring, so this match was probably as good as it was gonna get. As a huge McIntyre fan, I was bummed he lost, but if they're building Lashley, I get it. Still, nothing overaly remarkable, was hoping they'd get a bit more aggressive based on the prematch promo. I also really just don't like the Full Nelson as a finish. I was definitely hoping the finish would be Shelton and Cedric running in to distract Drew instead of just a MVP shout too. It'd be stupid, but the entire world is pissed THB split, so just play the "Haha, we played it up so Drew wouldn't expect us!" card. 

Turmoil - This was also just fine. Riott Squad looked fantastic and should have won. Screw Natalya and Tamina, they have no appeal. None. Liv and Ruby deserve better.

Cesaro vs Rollins - As a huge fan of both guys, I was really let down. The first half of this match straight up felt like a 2k match. Just trading big "grapples". Like... for how freaking good these two are, it felt so weird to see them do such a basic ass match. My buddy described it as "It feels like a 5 minute match that's gone over 5 minutes" and I had to agree. I do think they turned it around in the second half a bit, both of the neutralizer setups and the counters were awesome, and I popped for the UFO, but.... yeah. I dunno, I thought these two could steal the show, and instead it was a really awkwardly paced match. 

New Day vs AJ/Omos - Ugh, I hated this. Like, the first minute of AJ/Kofi getting technical was dope, and then it was just New Day dominating for what felt like forever, and Omos being... nothing remarkable, super predictable, AJ looked kind of terrible, bleh. And another "not real team" has the belts. Ugh. This is really what we cut Mustafa vs Kofi for? What a waste of time.

Strowman vs Shane - I was pleasantly surprised by this. Some cool spots from both dudes. I didn't see the build to it, but the video package made the feud sound dumb as hell. Still, Strowman looked good, and practically murdered Shane. I dug it.

Bunny/Priest vs JoMo/Miz - Ugh, the Miz/JoMo entrance turned me off in the biggest way. And the match was way too much Bunny. I appreciated some of his spots, but they could've produced this much better. Priest was barely in there, when he should've carried most of it for his team, with Bunny jumping in for pizazz. 

Sasha/Bianca - Freaking awesome. Stole the show tonight. Both women looked like stars. Sasha wrestled as the heel she was born to be, and there were so many cool counters. This was A+. I did kinda want Sasha to retain, but in a match like that there were no losers.

49 minutes ago, Counting Lights said:

Ok overall....very average show IMO, with a strong finish

Drew vs Bobby - It was fine. Bobby is bang average in the ring, so this match was probably as good as it was gonna get. As a huge McIntyre fan, I was bummed he lost, but if they're building Lashley, I get it. Still, nothing overaly remarkable, was hoping they'd get a bit more aggressive based on the prematch promo. I also really just don't like the Full Nelson as a finish. I was definitely hoping the finish would be Shelton and Cedric running in to distract Drew instead of just a MVP shout too. It'd be stupid, but the entire world is pissed THB split, so just play the "Haha, we played it up so Drew wouldn't expect us!" card. 

Turmoil - This was also just fine. Riott Squad looked fantastic and should have won. Screw Natalya and Tamina, they have no appeal. None. Liv and Ruby deserve better.

Cesaro vs Rollins - As a huge fan of both guys, I was really let down. The first half of this match straight up felt like a 2k match. Just trading big "grapples". Like... for how freaking good these two are, it felt so weird to see them do such a basic ass match. My buddy described it as "It feels like a 5 minute match that's gone over 5 minutes" and I had to agree. I do think they turned it around in the second half a bit, both of the neutralizer setups and the counters were awesome, and I popped for the UFO, but.... yeah. I dunno, I thought these two could steal the show, and instead it was a really awkwardly paced match. 

New Day vs AJ/Omos - Ugh, I hated this. Like, the first minute of AJ/Kofi getting technical was dope, and then it was just New Day dominating for what felt like forever, and Omos being... nothing remarkable, super predictable, AJ looked kind of terrible, bleh. And another "not real team" has the belts. Ugh. This is really what we cut Mustafa vs Kofi for? What a waste of time.

Strowman vs Shane - I was pleasantly surprised by this. Some cool spots from both dudes. I didn't see the build to it, but the video package made the feud sound dumb as hell. Still, Strowman looked good, and practically murdered Shane. I dug it.

Bunny/Priest vs JoMo/Miz - Ugh, the Miz/JoMo entrance turned me off in the biggest way. And the match was way too much Bunny. I appreciated some of his spots, but they could've produced this much better. Priest was barely in there, when he should've carried most of it for his team, with Bunny jumping in for pizazz. 

Sasha/Bianca - Freaking awesome. Stole the show tonight. Both women looked like stars. Sasha wrestled as the heel she was born to be, and there were so many cool counters. This was A+. I did kinda want Sasha to retain, but in a match like that there were no losers.

Nobody was there for Priest, all respect due to him. Lol. The people were going wild for everything Bad Bunny did.

The idea is to give Priest the rub from Bunny, though, no? He’s not meant to be the focal point, but they don’t want him to look like some nobody lackey either. And while I don’t think he was quite the latter... I don’t think they did enough to make him look like a somebody either since he wasn’t given much to do. They didn’t hit the right balance unfortunately.

How long did they show Bianca celebrating ? She was celebrating for like 15 minutes no lie lol

also was mad annoyed at people leaving before the main event started 

I need to give my full live breakdown 

25 minutes ago, Bushy. said:

How long did they show Bianca celebrating ? She was celebrating for like 15 minutes no lie lol

also was mad annoyed at people leaving before the main event started 

I need to give my full live breakdown 

Wow! People left?! 

best match of the night!!!

26 minutes ago, Bushy. said:

Only like 2-3 minutes after the bell rang till they cut the feed. Def before Tez ran in

Seen a lot of praise for Banks/Belair. It was probably the MOTN but I didn't think it was anything particularly groundbreaking. I didn't think any of the matches were particularly groundbreaking. The Turmoil was perhaps the only weak match on the show and everything else ranged from good - great but nothing WrestleMania worthy imo. Hell, Banks/Bayley from HIAC last October was significantly better than Banks/Belair in my view. Happy for Belair obviously and a real WrestleMania moment with her winning the title after what was still a great match. 

I thought Cesaro/Rollins was the second best. Could have gone for a little longer but the whole sequence from Cesaro countering the Curb Stomp into a pop-up uppercut to the UFO to the swing to the Neutralizer was smooth af. Really enjoyed the whole thing. 

Bad Bunny was the most pleasant surprise of the night. I had a feeling he was gonna be fun to watch but he exceeded my expectations. That "Bunny Destroyer" towards the end was picture perfect and mad kudos to Morrison for enabling it as well as he did. 

I thought they'd have McIntyre win to give him the 'Mania moment he couldn't have last year at the expense of a super short reign for Lashley but I understand why he retained. Think he's gonna hold on to the title for a while and I'm fine with it. McIntyre will have his moment again. Solid match between the two. 

New Day vs. Styles/Omos was whatever. I didn't like how weak they made Styles look but I get the angle they were going for with the whole focus being on Omos. He wrecked shit after tagging in and that was cool to see. Would be interesting to see them as champs because I think we all need a break from New Day as champs. 

Strowman/Shane was fun as expected. I don't get why people were shitting on this match even before it had happened like Shane doesn't always deliver. Did so again. 

Overall, a pretty good Night 1. Can't stress enough how much better it was to have the fans back and what a huge difference it made to the overall experience. But I expect Night 2 to surpass it. 

I agree with the there was nothing groundbreaking sentiment. To me it was a very middling show in terms of in the ring. Nothing really that extraordinary. The best match for me was Cesaro/Rollins but even that I thought could have been improved upon a bit. I have higher expectations for tonight's show. The main event I'm VERY excited about which is saying something because I loath Triple Threat title matches (see if you spend adequate time on creative and have really talented people, you can make just about anything work). lol Even though the build sucks, Asuka/Rhea I'm looking forward to a lot considering I think they're the two best women's wrestlers on the roster. And if Zayn gets to work more his style of match and less Owens' style of match, I think I'm going to like that match quite a bit, too.   

Archived