Next WWE video game news..

glennsoe

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, CROSS-Out said:

2K19 was a great game.

Here's the thing, when most people hear game engine, they tend to think way to rigidly. Its not a simple factor of "game engine old therefore bad". It can be limiting if something in the engine wasn't built to handle an idea (for instance, the current WWE games engine is not built to handle submission holds from a turnbuckle that go into the submission mini-game, thus why the turnbuckle Bully Choke or whatever Brian kendrick changed it to is just a regular impact move). But the engine like anything else is still a bundle of code that can be edited and modified by talented coders.

The main problem, of course, is time. Working on an engine, whether modifying an existing one or creating a new one, is a lot more involved than just making a game using the engine. The issue is not that the engine is bad or anything of the like, the problem is A: They brought in a bunch of new coders who had absolutely no experience with the thing for 2K20, B: they used 2K18 as the base for some idiotic reason even though 2K19 had already fixed up a lot of stuff. C : (*Censored* off emojis) from what I can tell,  Yukes coding is already rather messy and any programmer will tell you trying to read someone elses code if it isn't extremely well done is like pulling teeth.  D : (seriously, *Censored* off emojis) 2K20s issues from what i've heard was not just code related.

Do I think a great game can be made on the current engine? Of course I do, Skyrim was made on the same engine, albeit modified, as Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Morrowind. WWE 2K19, while still rather buggy, was made on the same engine as 2K18 and 2K20. I also am aware that they would need a lot of time off (in-office as well, and likely 2 or 3 years just working on the engine without even using it to make a game) to make a new engine that wouldn't have enormous caveats, sloppy code, or severe oversights.

The goal here for 2K needs to not be "oh no engine bad we need new engine now plz yes", it needs to be sitting everyone down, getting familiar with the code and how it all works, dedicating some goddamn time to bug testing and fixing, management that doesn't sit around on their ass and leave everyone with no clue what they're doing, and a willingness to stand up to 2K and WWE and say "if we release this broken, its going to be another disaster. If we need extra time, give us the goddamn extra time".

2K20 was in my personal opinion the culmination of multiple issues with Yukes departure acting as the catalyst to trigger them. I am of the personal opinion Yukes leaving is not a bad thing, they are not blameless in the issues the games have had for years, and going across the pond on a constant basis to make a game every year was eventually going to blow up in their faces. The problem is the suddenness of it all, and no one thinking ahead. The engines age is actually something of a minor factor, I think, in it all. Whats needed is time, talent, and common sense.

The upcoming competition might also be a nice kick in the ass which the series has sorely needed.

My guy! That’s why I asked you, you’re always extremely honest and knowledgeable about the process. I agree with this. Ok so gotta deprogram myself from thinking current engine equals automatic bad game. Want to brush up on gaming knowledge as far as how these things happen and how coding and etc works. 2K19 was definitely a great game IMO. Even with its bugs, there were less crashes, better physics and more enjoyable overall. That’s why I believe with the extra time they could’ve just built upon 2K19 while adding in meaningful matches that work and operate correctly. I’m optimistic.

39 minutes ago, maskedmaniac said:

True. It's gameplay that is the issue, but I do feel like the whole current engine, if that is what it's called, needs an overhaul. The lighting is terrible, the physics are bad, walking and movement of the wrestler models also adds to the lack of enjoyment.

Lighting is usually dependent on the lighting engine, which is not the same as the game engine. Not always, but I believe that is the case with the WWE games. Walking and movement are an animation and control issue, engine doesn't need to be changed to fix that. Physics.. I can't say i'm one hundred percent on that one. They could be a game engine issue assuming you mean hit detection but those might be fixable without having to build something new.

Don't get me wrong guys, if 2K were to suddenly announce they had a team working on a new engine to replace the aging old one, I would be excited, because they could build it to natively support a lot of features and issues they've had to work around; but its dangerous to get into thinking that the engine is the be all and end all of the whole shabang.

16 minutes ago, The Nerd said:

My guy! That’s why I asked you, you’re always extremely honest and knowledgeable about the process. I agree with this. Ok so gotta deprogram myself from thinking current engine equals automatic bad game. Want to brush up on gaming knowledge as far as how these things happen and how coding and etc works. 2K19 was definitely a great game IMO. Even with its bugs, there were less crashes, better physics and more enjoyable overall. That’s why I believe with the extra time they could’ve just built upon 2K19 while adding in meaningful matches that work and operate correctly. I’m optimistic.

Glad I could help

The announcement trailer is a good start. Is it obvious proof that 2K22 is gonna be playable and not the disaster that 2K20 was? Of course not. But they've told us things would change and that they'd communicate better and so far, we've seen that to be the case. It's a solid first step, just gotta hope it continues and translates to a solid game.

A lot needs to change for me to purchase the next game, regardless of what theme it has or what the roster looks like. The in-ring camera angles and TV-style presentation are awful to be honest and take away from the enjoyment of playing the game. As I already said lighting is ugly during matches and wrestlers move terribly sluggish. Hit detection is bad. CAW mode also needs a re-vamp, it seems dated now and it can be done better, just about any other sports game like UFC or various RPG's have the ability to create better looking characters with far more realistic hair styles and facial features. Models in WW2K games look shiny like plastic, not like actual human skin should look.

Saw on twitter that aew games have planned an announcement of some sorts tomorrow

Could we get a release date from aew tomorrow? If so I imagine 2k/wwe games will follow suit and give us a release date too..

17 hours ago, maskedmaniac said:

A lot needs to change for me to purchase the next game, regardless of what theme it has or what the roster looks like. The in-ring camera angles and TV-style presentation are awful to be honest and take away from the enjoyment of playing the game. As I already said lighting is ugly during matches and wrestlers move terribly sluggish. Hit detection is bad. CAW mode also needs a re-vamp, it seems dated now and it can be done better, just about any other sports game like UFC or various RPG's have the ability to create better looking characters with far more realistic hair styles and facial features. Models in WW2K games look shiny like plastic, not like actual human skin should look.

I think this is a bit silly. Yes games like Ea UFC have better looking models for caws but it comes at the expense of how in depth you can make them. Pretty as the ocean, shallow as a puddle.

8 hours ago, glennsoe said:

Saw on twitter that aew games have planned an announcement of some sorts tomorrow

Could we get a release date from aew tomorrow? If so I imagine 2k/wwe games will follow suit and give us a release date too..

Omega has already said their console game is slated for next year. Doubt their phone GM game that they do have this year is enough to push 2K into following suit with 2K22 news.

The Mysterio teaser “got people talking”, but talking more about how worried they are, rather than how excited they are. They should’ve chosen something better and new to show. Don’t make the same mistake as 2K20, which had a very weak gameplay trailer imo and the opinion of many others. Wow us, from beginning to end. For now, people are saying “same old shit” and I’d be hard-pressed to disagree.

According to the 2K Global Communications Manager, when talking about 2K22's tagline (It Hits Different) and WWE 2K's reputation.. https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/04/2k-global-communications-manager-addresses-wwe-2ks-reputation/

“We want that to be clear that it doesn’t just apply to the game itself,” Stavola said. “It applies to the way we market the game, the way we communicate the game with press, content creators, and our community. We want to try out a lot of new ideas; we want to bring everyone along for the journey. You’re going to be seeing things earlier than before. You’re going to be seeing kind of a deeper, more behind the scenes look at things than you have in the past.”

“We think transparency is really important. We certainly are cognisant of the reception of the franchise,” Stavola said. “We want to show that this is a completely different and new step in the right direction, so we’re going to be communicating early and often.”

5 hours ago, Graeme Jones said:

I'll believe it when I see it tbh. 

Fair enough but they've already shown it or at least in terns of marketing. They usually officially announce the game in late may or in june but now it was in mid april along with a teaser trailer that includes gameplay footage, which they don't usually show trailers like that until between june and summerslam in august. There's no cover yet but it's pretty much a given that Rey Mysterio will be the cover star.

So to be fair, Technically they have already proven one thing right but yes we shall see about the rest

To be fair, so far they have done a far better job than in the last 8 years or what.

We got a surprisingly early look at the game...well its mostly the same but more detailed.
They have made an effort listening to the community, talked to some of the big shots in the fandom(allegedly) and all in all seem like they do want this series to become good again.

But if it stays that way, thats the question.
It is possible that this is all just a bunch of nothing, big talk to lure in the easy to fool community...and lets be honest, we were a easy to fool fandom for the longest time.
We will see what this all really is about soon.

On 4/13/2021 at 8:28 PM, maskedmaniac said:

A lot needs to change for me to purchase the next game, regardless of what theme it has or what the roster looks like. 

This is such a mood, and I couldn't agree more.

I'm not gonna be a downer and I will say the current series by 2K has the best roster seen in a wrestling game year in and year out. Caw mode is also the best we've seen, but the gameplay lacks and in the end it's the main reason why I can't even get through one match as hard as I try. The AKI games, Smakdown vs Raw series, Allstars, FirePro...they all have more engaging gameplay than what 2K offers, for me personally at least. I can't shell out another 70-80 dollars for the next 2K wrestling game if I'm gonna lose interest in it after about a month.

I don't really care about the roster. I don't watch WWE and I don't play as the in-game wrestlers very often anyway, what matters to me is the gameplay, how buggy it is, and the moves. Give, me, moooooves.

Archived