Daniel Bryan: Roman Reigns May Be The Best But He Doesn’t Wrestle With His Heart

Craig Warden

Daniel Bryan was recently a guest on the latest episode of Talking Smack, where he spoke about his upcoming participation in the Royal Rumble, and his ongoing feud with Roman Reigns.

In his appearance, Bryan acknowledged to Paul Heyman that while Roman Reigns may be the best of the best right now, he doesn’t wrestle with his heart, and that’s why many don’t connect with him. “It’s a facade, it always has been,” he said. “He came out there, when he debuted in this company, wearing a vest…a bulletproof vest, so you couldn’t see his heart. I have a theory that why they connected with me, and this happens every night, I put my heart out there.”

Bryan went on to say that in his 21 years of wrestling, he’s seen many guys go into the ring and just do their job, whereas Bryan continues to see it as something that he wants to fight with his heart. He reiterated that he’s still extremely passionate about wrestling, and before he makes the transition to becoming a family man, he’s going to give wrestling all he has. Bryan is looking to finally come out on top in this year’s Royal Rumble, and has said for some time now that if he does, he’ll be trying to take down Roman Reigns for the WWE Universal Championship.

Source:Wrestlezone 

Bryan's obviously in character, but I think he has a point. Roman has figured a lot of stuff out since his debut. His matches are pretty good and his heel character work is top notch, to the point that even his biggest doubters from the old days (and I count myself in that group) can agree he feels right in the main event now.

But I feel like he never fully understood the fans. Every interview he gave as a face seemed very arrogant and even salty when it came to talking about why fans were rejecting him as top face, and I wouldn't be surprised if that still echoes in some ways. He has the business aspects figured out and locked down, but lacks a certain connection which is I guess the heart that Bryan is referring to. If he were to turn face again once crowds return and get booed again, I feel he'd be pointing fingers at the fans again rather than talking to management about how to make a more palatable character (that said, Tribal Chief Reigns has a lot of gas left in the tank so hopefully this is a long way away).

I know he has the best intentions here...but, it's kinda hard to say that Roman doesn't wrestle "with his heart" when he literally has leukemia, and wrestles in spite of it. I know that isn't the kind of statement he's making here. But...maybe there were better words for what it is that he was trying to say. Something like..."Roman has different objectives".

good META promo. there is certainly truth to it. the story between them could be one on of the best in recent memory due to so many layers and history. if they go all out, they can pull it off. but I can't be that optimistic. 

Bryan winning the Rumble will be bitter sweet. I mean, yeah they will milk the whole "finally" moment which will be a classic ironic WWE thnig to do. The momentum for it though, I don't think there is really one. The "moment" for it though? Well yeah, since Bryan is going to become part time even more, so this will probably be his last big thing in that regard. 

There will be zero predictability in the story too, since he openly talked about him becoming part time and putting people over. So in the end, everything is mainly about Roman, while it will be packaged how it's about Bryan too, while it isn't... 

Archived