AEW Revolution 2020 Discussion Thread

Guest Fight Me.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I can safely say that AEW need not do PPVs anymore because aside from one 'match' I was just so bored/put off during most of Revolution. It's clear that they give it all away the best they can on Dynamite.

Tag title match was false finish after false finish and lacked any semblance of structure.

Battle royal was a battle royal...no real complaints...just dragged until the final four picked it up.

Women's title...glad Shida showed a bit of personality - need more of that...otherwise, more of the same false finishes.

Big Money Match was a good Dynamite match. 

The ladder match was boring...the Cody bits were so predictable...at least the right guy one IMO.

The new signing was called almost immediately by the IWC, so okay then.

I DID enjoy the cinematic match...this was really well done for what it was.

Not sure WTH the main event was though...definitely not pro wrestling though...had to turn it off.

With the talent they have, I REALLY want AEW to do well and be a true alternative to WWE, but this is just alternative  WWE...or worse, WCW 1999 onward...

If you like this stuff, yeah go for it, but I'm just about done.

Poor Mox is never going to catch a break dude just can't get away from shitty storylines and gimmicks. 

Shalk attempting to murder people with fireworks at GCW's Backyard Show was more impressive than this shit.

Also whats with all the *censored*ery during matches?

The dark match had Rebel try to interfere, the Bucks match had Wardlow try to interfere,  the women's title match had all the post match stuff, Miro match had a pre match beat down, Private Party got involved with the Hardy match, and the Good Brother ran in on the main. So technically three matches two being multiman matches and one being cinematic didn't have extra run ins. 

9 minutes ago, Lunchbox said:

Poor Mox is never going to catch a break dude just can't get away from shitty storylines and gimmicks. 

Honestly, I'm inclined to believe it's him. He was never this golden goose that people paint him as...and he seems to be a bit of a diva, truth be told.

6 minutes ago, Generations said:

Honestly, I'm inclined to believe it's him. He was never this golden goose that people paint him as...and he seems to be a bit of a diva, truth be told.

Don't know, his NJPW run for the G1 was really fantastic and everything made sense. Same with his Bloodsport matchess.

This is all on Khan, he said "What do you expect us to blow up the wrestlers." as if they legit didn't steal that ending from a match that did the explosions right.

Cody's pyro he gets is more intense than those sparklers that went off last night.

the thing is though, if the pyro didn't go off and it was supposed to look like... something at least, it's probably techincians fault and well even for a big money production, it's a human error, it can happen whatever... Worse for me is the attitude around it. Announcers sold it as serious... kinda. Can't blame for Eddie Kingston for not calling an audible alone with no reffs around him, but everyone was there, when staff came out, they could have told him to sell it as it was nothing. Just be surprised how it was nothing or something... you'll figure details later. Announcers at the same time would have sold it like that too... But to completely act like Eddie was passed/knocked out was just too comical. 

I mean yeah, I guess it's easy to say things like that after the fact... but all those wrestlers and staff, it's not like they are some young inexperianced guys...  To say that the reaction was lacking would be a understatement. 

9 minutes ago, AONO. said:

the thing is though, if the pyro didn't go off and it was supposed to look like... something at least, it's probably techincians fault and well even for a big money production, it's a human error, it can happen whatever.

I don't really know what you would be basing this on. Is there any proof that this is the case? Because...I don't recall seeing any. The problem was with the variety and quantity of explosives they were using. I knew this would happen when it ended up that they were doing the match in the same ring as the others. I said earlier in the week that they needed to have it all pre-built on the football field. The moment I saw that they rushed to build the props during the Sting match, I said "ahh...shit".

They had pyro there. The pyro worked. It wasn't enough pyro, and it wasn't the right kind.

A lot of those old explosives matches used dust cannons. They shoot a flammable power high into the air, which is ignited by a flash of fire. The dust burns bright and quick, posing limited risk to the performers (who can lay down underneath the flames)...but it looks like a big explosion when it happens...and the excess dust covers the ring, which makes it look like the guys are crawling out of ground zero. This is what they should have been using.

Would it have been better or just as bad if the show went off the air say a couple seconds before the countdown reached zero? Maybe after the show they could've torn the ring apart and thrown some smoke in there. Make it look like a warzone and show the aftermath on Dynamite? Idk. 

I also wouldn't have minded if it just went off air as soon as Omega won. Sure there would've been some disappointment that nothing happened, but it would've been better than that lol

1 minute ago, Generations said:

I don't really know what you would be basing this on. Is there any proof that this is the case? Because...I don't recall seeing any. The problem was with the variety and quantity of explosives they were using. I knew this would happen when it ended up that they were doing the match in the same ring as the others. I said earlier in the week that they needed to have it all pre-built on the football field. The moment I saw that they rushed to build the props during the Sting match, I said "ahh...shit". They had pyro there. The pyro worked. It wasn't enough pyro, and it wasn't the right kind.

well it's not based on anything... I said "if". I'm giving them some benefit of the doubt that it was a blunder and not the original idea. I didn't see it as well,  and I agree with the rest. Tbh, if they just placed pyro all round the ring, where it can be done safely, the explosion is basicly a smokescreen and you can at least pretend that it somehow affected guys in the ring. 

And voila... that's it. 

How do you guys think they'll spin this? How do you salvage Kingston here? I assume Moxley was meant to be written off here for a few months, does he just step away after this anyway? Omega intended on seriously hurting Mox but now comes off as a incompetent douche, how do they salvage that? I don't envy them. 

I guess the best thing they could do, is say that Kenny is a coward who didn't want the pyro to be a danger to him, so he intentionally made it weak. As for Kingston, he really dug a hole with his acting. But...it was probably harder for him to know just how bad it was in that moment. He covered up and had no idea what happened outside of that. It's too bad there wasn't an audible from the ref telling him to stop selling it. But...he did what he was meant to do. So...yeah, that's hard. He comes out of this looking like the biggest goof, and he really doesn't deserve that at all.

I dont know, maybe that Kingston thought things would explode and passed out or so due to stress...have no clue how you salvage this.
I mean Moxley you can do a lot more, the guy was beaten in the ring unable to move...that you can still work with.
Kingston playing dead after the failed explosion, is something you probably cant spin into something good, which sucks for him.
Could have been such a strong moment for him, could have elevated the man incredible.

Next PPV is Double or Nothing right?
I dont know, seems like a dumb solution but i would see if another Exploding Barbed Wire match would be possible...maybe even getting Onita in this...is he still wrestling?
And then trying to not mess up this time...but that also seems like a dumb solution and makes the first match even more of a mess.

Im not sure, maybe having Kingston and Moxley away for a while, acting as if nothing happened is the best idea.
The problem is that a failed explosion you could easily explain with Kennys character, but Kingston selling this like he did because nobody seemed to have told him that the explosion was botched, is what puts them in a bad position...and its not even Kingstons fault.

I guess they could say that the concussive blast of the pyro knocked Kingston out. That is a thing that happens. Even though he wasn't directly affected by the explosion, you could maybe pretend that is the case. In fact, I've seen at least one of those old deathmatches where the explosion was visually weak, but really loud...and one of the participants did start bleeding out of his ears and fell to the mat just from the noise. So...I guess that could be their angle.

Maybe even have Eddie pretend that he can't hear for a week or two. He could be like "yeah...the explosion might not have looked bad to you...but I was right there, and I can't hear shit".

Archived