AEW Signings/Releases Thread

Guest Fight Me.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Lunchbox said:

Too many signings man. 

OffbeatPointlessDikkops-size_restricted.

Here's the thing about AEW, and why they can sign as many people as they want:

They are doing a spectacular job of sharing talent with other promotions. Which is the way that pro wrestling should be. When people say that AEW is signing too many people, it just feels like they're stuck in a bad relationship with WWE and are concerned that AEW is going to hoard talents the same way. But AEW doesn't do that. They could literally sign 100 more people and it would be fine.

Even if AEW doesn't use someone that much (take Archer for example)...the guy is still allowed to go do Japan shows, indy shows...whatever he wants. So, if someone in AEW isn't getting over, or whatever...it isn't a case of AEW wasting them. Those people all have control of their own careers, which is obviously not something you can say about WWE. AEW has set this precedent where other championships from other promotions are just as important as their own...which means that if AEW doesn't have something for someone like Christian, he can win the Impact title...and he is every bit a world champion as Kenny Omega. It's a beautiful thing.

Which is great and all but this promotion that promised to be different and show off different talent is signing people who made names in WWE and are going to be major players. When TNA did this they were harshly critiqued. Remember, TNA use to share talent and one minor incident took that away. And im not remotely comparing AEW to WWE. 

3 hours ago, Lunchbox said:

Which is great and all but this promotion that promised to be different and show off different talent is signing people who made names in WWE and are going to be major players. When TNA did this they were harshly critiqued. Remember, TNA use to share talent and one minor incident took that away. And im not remotely comparing AEW to WWE. 

C'mon, man...you're smarter than everything you just said.

Its true thought, we saw the same thing with TNA. Tons of great young talent with a few old school dudes and as they started to gain steam they started to sign "stars" and we saw alot of the TNA Originals get pushed to the side. I don't think AEW needs alot of these people. They don't need Bray, Cole, Murphy or even D-Bry. They have a super talented roster and just need to have good storylines to make them stars. 

You build new talent by putting them with legends. It's a real thing that works.

You can certainly point at WWE and TNA for doing it wrong. But, again...AEW does it right.

They have proven several times already that they do it right. No one who has come into AEW thus far has gone over any of the fresh faces to such an extent that you can come anywhere near that WWE/TNA level. Everyone serves a role, and it works. And I'm not really sure what "They don't need Bray, Cole, Murphy, or D-Bry" is supposed to mean. AEW is the second largest wrestling company in the US. The people you just named would rather work for AEW than WWE. It's not a one-way street.

I'm not sure why anyone would expect AEW to not sign talents who are already established names.  It's much harder to take "original AEW talent A" and "original AEW talent B" and make them both stars by facing each other than it is to take "Original AEW talent A" vs established legend, and "Original AEW talent B" vs seasoned veteran...and then do "Original AEW talent A" vs "Original AEW talent B". (It always works better in the end). So, again...I just have to say that you're smarter than what you're saying. 

Guest Fight Me.

There was a great tweet I read from a fellow Impact fan a while ago. It said something like "TNA didn't die because Kurt Angle beat Samoa Joe. TNA died because Sean Morley (Val Venis) beat Christopher Daniels." And I agree, guys like Christian and Angle coming in was a wonderful time for TNA. It didn't go to shit til Hogan came in.

On 8/23/2021 at 5:20 AM, Fight Me. said:

There was a great tweet I read from a fellow Impact fan a while ago. It said something like "TNA didn't die because Kurt Angle beat Samoa Joe. TNA died because Sean Morley (Val Venis) beat Christopher Daniels." And I agree, guys like Christian and Angle coming in was a wonderful time for TNA. It didn't go to shit til Hogan came in.

Yup, TNAs time before Hogan...was fantastic.
But then the suits became delusional about going toe to toe with the WWE, brought in Hogan and booked shit.

On 8/22/2021 at 11:20 PM, Fight Me. said:

agreed. If you have Sting competing for the world title, that’s a problem. Or Big Show & Henry in the main event scene. But having a few one off matches against or teaming with AEW originals is perfectly fine. 

2 hours ago, Bushy. said:

agreed. If you have Sting competing for the world title, that’s a problem. Or Big Show & Henry in the main event scene. But having a few one off matches against or teaming with AEW originals is perfectly fine. 

Exactly. Plus every time Sting has wrestled for example, it's been done with the intent to also raise Darby's stock with it. I'd also argue Starks and Cage reached a new level in the feud with Sting, even if they lost.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived