PS3 HDMI issue

I have my PS3 hooked to my TV with an HDMI cable. I don’t use it a ton, but I keep things dusted around it. All of a sudden, the picture starts flickering and then eventually I get a “no signal” message from my TV. The HDMI cable appears to be fine; it worked fine on my PS4. Any help? I took a quick video of what it’s doing.

https://youtu.be/pgyVlkSanEk

forgot to mention it will boot up in 480p. I used to have it in 1080p, but then this started and it would only work in 720p. And now it’s flickering in 720p too.

Its entirely possible the issue is in the PS3 itself. Is there any dust or rust in the slot for the HDMI cord? how long have you had the PS3, is it possible its failing (older models tend to fail real easily unfortunately).

Hmm... It very well could be an inside component failing, but just in case before you consider replacing it or getting it repaired or anything you should try a completely different HDMI cord.

Is it also possible its the TV having trouble? have you tried multiple different HDMI inputs and saw the same issue on each one?

Yeah, I’ve tried using a different HDMI cable in my PS3, and it didn’t work either. I have other consoles hooked up, and I verified both of the cables I used in it work. I’ve pretty well exhausted all possibilities in that regard. I think you may be right that it’s the port going bad. Is there any “quick” fixes for it, or am I SOL? I know baking PS3s used to temporarily fix the yellow lights. 

Well the problem is that it depends on the model, but unfortunately in my personal experience fixing PS3 internals is a hell of a lot harder than say, an Xbox 360. I can't really advise on that because I don't want to be responsible if my advice goes bad, but you may want to look up any 3rd party repair services. If you're in Canada you might find some on Kijiji.

Sorry man, thats about all I can really do to help. Hope you manage to figure this out!

It’s one of the fatter PS3s. Not the OG ones with backwards compatibility. I want to say when I bought it, it was bundled with CODMW3, so whatever era that puts it at. 

im in the US. Maybe I’ll check eBay and see if I can get one cheap since no physical stores are open now. 

Is there a way to upload some of my saves to an external HDD or a cloud or something? I’ve never run into an issue like this, so I’m completely ignorant on it 

Yeah you can copy your save data to a HDD in the Game column. Honestly if you have a decent USB stick that should be enough to copy all your save data, although I can't remember off the top of my head how large the files can be on PS3.

I hope you don't have too many games to download because I'm pretty sure those can't be copied.

Archived