WWE 2K21 & COVID-19: My thoughts

King RyderFan

WWE 2K21  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you think WWE 2K21 will be affected by COVID-19?

• Nothing - the game comes out as usual
    • WWE 2K21 gets delayed to make up for lost time
    • WWE 2K21 gets cancelled and the new superstars/arenas/moves etc. get added to 2K20 instead
    • WWE 2K21 gets cancelled and we are told to make to do community creations
    • Something else - please state below

Right, I don't normally do this, but given what's going on, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the potential future of the series.

AS you may or may not be aware if you have been living under a rock for the last several months, the world has been undergoing a global pandemic due to COVID-19, otherwise known as the Corona Virus, the Chinese Virus, or the Boris Bug. Planes have been grounded, shops have shut, events have been cancelled, and pretty much the entire world has ground to a screeching halt to some degree. Whether you like it or not, EVERYTHING has been affected in some way, shape or form, be it WWE having to tape shows in the Performance Centre behind closed door, or Formula 1 having to cancel a grand prix for only the second time in its 70+ year history. Sadly, I feel that our beloved WWE 2K franchise, as well as pretty much every video game being produced or released at some point this year, will be affected too. I will go over how I feel this will affect 2K21, expected to be released around October this year judging by release dates from previous entries, as well as how I personally will combat it, below.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT ANYTHING FOLLOWING THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL THOUGHTS & OPINIONS - I DO NOT WORK FOR 2K, OR ANY OTHER GAMING COMPANY, NOR DO I HAVE ANY CONNECTIONS IN THE INDUSTRY, I AM JUST A MERE FAN LIKE YOU

Right, now that's out of the way, let's start by addressing the most obvious way 2K21 is going to be affected, staff shortages. Unless you are incredibly out of touch with recent news, there are quarantine measures going on all around the planet to try and combat this disease, with only "essential personnel" like emergency service or grocery store workers or factory workers to make ventilators to help people fight this disease. Sadly, like it or not, video games are not essential for living. Every video game company, from EA to 2K to DOntnod, is going to suffer from staff shortages right now due to people self-isolating or having their studios closed down, and out of those who do come in, I can see a lot of 2K's team being diverted to help their bigger franchises like GTA or NBA. As much as I hate to admit it, the WWE 2K series is nowhere near the list of 2K's top priorities, and they'll want to keep their top franchises going first.

Second reason, lost development time. Normally during this part of the year is when the meat & potatoes of the game is being done, from models to the menus. If the studios are shut then a lot less work can be done. Yes if 2K allows them to they can work from home, but you can't exactly do motion capture for thins like new moves or cut scenes for Universe, MyCareer or Showcase from your living room. It's no good if we get a guy like WALTER but he has generic entrance #21.

Honestly, I feel as though if 2K21 does go ahead as scheduled, it's going to suck massively, even worse than 2K20 did, and as a long-time fan of this series I do not want to see it suffer from bad break after bad break after bad break. Personally, I feel like the smart thing to do would be to cancel WWE 2K21 (before I go ahead any further, I know I have been the first guy to shut down this idea in the past, but that was before we had a virus causing a global pandemic & costing the team man power and development time. I feel this is honestly the best year they've ever had to do it) and just add the new gimmicks (heel Bayley/Io/Dakota etc.) superstars (WALTER, Tegan Nox, John Morrison, MVP, etc.) arenas (new RAW/SmackDown sets for instance) to 2K20, and come back, bigger, stronger & better with 2K22 on the next gen of consoles. A vast majority of new people most likely going to be in 2K21 either have entrances animations, moves or both already in the game. For example, WALTER's three biggest moves are a powerbomb, clothesline & top rope splash. We have several versions of all three of those. Plus, the Originals DLC gave us pretty much Austin Theory's entire moveset, as well as finishers for Kona Reeeves, Dominik Dijakovic, Kushida, and so many others. All they need is that final little step. And if you're worried about no commentary for the newbies you shouldn't be, it can be recorded from home and sent to 2K. Plus, there are plenty of other ways to add to 2K20, unlock all the MyCareer/Showcase NPCs for our personal use, or maybe even add back alumni like Summer Rae, the Ascension or Emma. With the Indy scene drying up right now I'm sure they'd be glad for the check.

To conclude, I feel it would be a VERY bad idea for 2K21 to release as scheduled, and if it does go ahead, be prepared for it to suck.

Well that does it from me, how do you feel Corona's going to affect 2K21? DO you think it will improve or worsen the game? I@mm interested in your thoughts too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If 2k20 got release they will release anything. If Wrestlemania didn't cancelled this won't either even if they add 5 characters that look worst then CAS from this year. And just add a few showcases since they can just use videos from their library.

If anything on earth will get the game delayed or cancelled itll be this virus. Though considering the rampant greed of publishers and WWE I'm not entirely certain even this'll get it delayed.

19 minutes ago, BrandonX said:

If anything on earth will get the game delayed or cancelled itll be this virus. Though considering the rampant greed of publishers and WWE I'm not entirely certain even this'll get it delayed.

True they could be greedy, but honestly I feel like this is a situation where common sense > greed. No way 2K21 turns out well if it releases in October.

Honestly, if I had to rank all the possible outcomes I can see from this:

A : The game comes out in October like it usually does. If that happens, expect a bad game. However, I’m gonna be fair and say maybe 2K has something up their sleeve and it could still turn out to be decent.

B : The game will be delayed until a later date. This I feel is the most likely outcome. How much of a delay they get though is a mystery. Hopefully a delay until ‘Mania next year.

C : 2K21 gets cancelled and whomever was scheduled to be added to said game gets added to 2K20 as DLC. This is honestly the option I prefer most. They could easily sell a “2K21 Season Pass” for like £/$40-50 and supply us with updates to keep us going for the next year, be it new people (Tegan Nox, KUSHIDA, WALTER, etc.) or even old legends returning (03 John Cena, Greg Valentine, Fabulous Freebirds, etc.) on top of an already stacked roster and it would take minimal effort.

D : 2K21 is cancelled and 2K just tells is to tough it out with Community Creations. I can’t see this happening, no way either 2K or WWE will miss out on the payday. 

I mentioned I'd like to see an see something with option C last night on the 2k forum. If you take away originals and the bugs, it's quite a decent game. If they hadn't bothered with originals and gave us the normal DLC of years gone, we'd have a pretty much complete up-to-date roster, and could have canceled 2k21 and worked on 2k22 on next gen. 

All very good points... I think ps5 and most AAA games have already been announced that they delayed till 2021 +.. soooo Yeh I think there is little to NO hope we'll be getting 2k21.  Also... do we really care? Dunno about you guys but its certainly made me appreciate  the little thigs in life more. 

6 minutes ago, Petey_the_Clown said:

All very good points... I think ps5 and most AAA games have already been announced that they delayed till 2021 +.. soooo Yeh I think there is little to NO hope we'll be getting 2k21.  Also... do we really care? Dunno about you guys but its certainly made me appreciate  the little thigs in life more. 

I know there are more important things, but I just feel like it’s an interesting point of discussion, you know?

I was saying last year that I wouldn’t mind it being delayed til around Christmas. I don’t think it’ll be that extreme [if they can help it], but, anywhere from November to December. It depends on what happens with their bigger releases. I’d be shocked if they went back to an October release.

On 4/2/2020 at 1:30 AM, Ziggy Vercetti said:

Watch 2K make a Coronavirus monster wrestler or some shit we gotta defeat in Career Mode/that takes up unneeded roster space 

Maybe they can call the monster wrestler as "Kein Zutritt" (which is German for No Entry) with their own custom sign featuring a hand (also considering that we have been told to wash our hands a lot) that is crossed through inside this -> ?  and having this Career Mode monster billed from Germany (considering that most fictional wrestlers we have seen in series have came from North America) in Europe would be change of pace.

You gotta think with all the releases in WWE making for a lot of roster removals for 2K21 that VC will be under some pressure to add a decent amount of new wrestlers to make up for it. The roster isn't the be all end all but it's still something that a lot of people do like seeing near complete/fully accurate. With COVID causing some possible development hiccups though you gotta think roster additions could be one of those things that takes a possible hit. 2K20 was a wild ride to follow in the lead up to release but 2K21 is shaping up to be even more interesting.

If true it was expected. Can't see a full cancel (the question was about this year) so we'll probably have a delay and get it some time between Jan and May 2021. Of course that also depends on when this actually ends but I'd expect they are currently working on some form with a reduced (or even full) team.

Archived