U.S. Politics Discussion

PaperThinWalls

4 hours ago, King RyderFan said:

Am I wrong? Just look the line-up of the Supreme Court and look how the vote went. 6 men to 3 women, and the vote was 6-3 in favour of striking Roe Vs Wade down. It’s a real wonder who voted which way… I’m sorry but men should not be deciding on womens’ issues. 

When Roe Vs Wade was originally passed, the Supreme Court was made up entirely of men. Amy Coney Barrett is a woman, and she voted to overturn it. There are plenty of anti-abortion women and pro-abortion men, I don't know why people make it such a gendered issue.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giving the power to decide to the states, with over half of them wanting to ban sheeit, like... I get it. It's shit, those states are shit, their opinions are shit but I get it. I'd like it to go another way but it's whatever. Hopefully they can be walked back on those decisions at some point.

Wanting to criminalize all involved parties if people seek aid OUTSIDE of the banned states? That's where I have zero budge. Your jurisdiction should begin and end inside of your state lines regardless of what the person-in-question's home address is.

Hopefully the majority that didn't want this law to pass will make more noise than the minority that pushed for it now.

Imagine if non-gun owners decided on a law that affected gun owners' ability to buy more guns? The outrage would be on a different level. I'm not crazy about abortions but it should be up to a woman to decide this. At the very least, if it's a marriage then it should be up to the husband and wife, definitely not up to the government.

17 hours ago, KingKhan18 said:

When Roe Vs Wade was originally passed, the Supreme Court was made up entirely of men. Amy Coney Barrett is a woman, and she voted to overturn it. There are plenty of anti-abortion women and pro-abortion men, I don't know why people make it such a gendered issue.

True, but even then, why was it full of men? And even then the women voted 2-1 in favour of keep Roe while the men voted 5-1 to overturn it. The reason people make it a gendered issue is because it is one. When men can get pregnant or give birth, then we can have an opinion. 

Yeah, the two were liberal judges, though. If most of the conservative judges were female, I don’t think it would have turned out that differently tbh.

Also, it wasn’t 5-1 men that overturned Roe v. Wade. If you look closely at the ruling, you’ll see that Roberts was not in favor of overturning it. He was in favor of limitations (so he supported Mississippi's ban on abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy), but he was not in favor of overturning it.

4 hours ago, King RyderFan said:

True, but even then, why was it full of men? And even then the women voted 2-1 in favour of keep Roe while the men voted 5-1 to overturn it. The reason people make it a gendered issue is because it is one. When men can get pregnant or give birth, then we can have an opinion. 

How transphobic of you.

3 hours ago, PaperThinWalls said:

Yeah, the two were liberal judges, though. If most of the conservative judges were female, I don’t think it would have turned out that differently tbh.

Also, it wasn’t 5-1 men that overturned Roe v. Wade. If you look closely at the ruling, you’ll see that Roberts was not in favor of overturning it. He was in favor of limitations (so he supported Mississippi's ban on abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy), but he was not in favor of overturning it.

TBH, I feel like if most of the judges were female, it would have been closer or possibly even reversed. Two votes could turn a 6-3 into a 4-5.  You do have a point about which side they’re on though, sad as it is. 

I get that, but even if we discount his vote, it’s either 5-0 (leading to 6-2 total) or 4-1 (5-3 total) , it still gets struck down. 

At the end of the day, in a lot of these cases, I think it ultimately comes down to ideology more than anything else. So I would be very skeptical it would be any different.

We’re not discounting his vote. What I’m saying is that you misrepresented the amount and Roberts’ position (which is a fair mistake since it is kind of confusing), so I corrected you. Instead of it being 5 men being completely against Roe v. Wade, it was actually 4 men (Alito, Thomas, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh) and a woman (Barrett) who were completely against it. So 2 men (Breyer and Roberts) and 2 women (Kagan and Sotomayor) were in favor of upholding it to some level and not completely throw it out.

In other words, 5-4 didn’t think Roe v. Wade needed to be overturned but 6-3 did think Roe v. Wade had limits.

Anyone who's truly pro-life and pro-children should be pro-choice. Far too many stories of women and children being miserable because of forced birth, while the mothers who made the choice to have kids were great mothers. But then again, anti-abortionists don't really care about kids. 

1 hour ago, M3J said:

Anyone who's truly pro-life and pro-children should be pro-choice. Far too many stories of women and children being miserable because of forced birth, while the mothers who made the choice to have kids were great mothers. But then again, anti-abortionists don't really care about kids. 

Not true. I think we should focus on issues that would cause a woman to want to abort. For instance, I believe men should be forced to pay child support at the moment of conception.

But it wouldn't matter. We could solve every problem imaginable and the left would still support killing kids.

6 hours ago, Doink! said:

Not true. I think we should focus on issues that would cause a woman to want to abort. For instance, I believe men should be forced to pay child support at the moment of conception.

But it wouldn't matter. We could solve every problem imaginable and the left would still support killing kids.

That is not even in the top 5 of reasons...as if the main thing is that dudes dont pay child support enough.

It is literally mainly society issues, the fact that way too often its been said that women "ask for it" when getting raped, that society treats women like some evil beings for wanting to have choices and rights.
Its about religious fundamentalists grinding women to dust...and you come in here going "well dudes should pay child support either way".

"We could solve every problem" oh put a sock in it, as if that is a wish of you...you lot arent even giving a damn enough about kids that you deal with the gun problem...as if you have any sense of care for children in any kind of state.

Be it full grown or be it a clump of cells.
Get out of here with this childish "the left would still support killing kids" the only one who does that is you who sit back and watch thousands of kids die on the streets, get bullied into suicide, gleefully want to make guns easier to get, stand in the way of free healthcare etc....please spare us this whole "blame the left" agenda.

7 hours ago, Doink! said:

Except…life starts at first breath, not conception. You aren’t killing anything, just a clump of cells. 

I really don't. The left can't truly define what a man or woman is anymore, so by their logic nothing is a gender issue at this point.

What do you mean? There’s a massive difference between sex and gender. If anyone’s being transphobic here it’s you. Your gender isn’t decided by what’s between your legs. 

6 hours ago, Mani-Man said:

That is not even in the top 5 of reasons...as if the main thing is that dudes dont pay child support enough.

It is literally mainly society issues, the fact that way too often its been said that women "ask for it" when getting raped, that society treats women like some evil beings for wanting to have choices and rights.
Its about religious fundamentalists grinding women to dust...and you come in here going "well dudes should pay child support either way".

"We could solve every problem" oh put a sock in it, as if that is a wish of you...you lot arent even giving a damn enough about kids that you deal with the gun problem...as if you have any sense of care for children in any kind of state.

Be it full grown or be it a clump of cells.
Get out of here with this childish "the left would still support killing kids" the only one who does that is you who sit back and watch thousands of kids die on the streets, get bullied into suicide, gleefully want to make guns easier to get, stand in the way of free healthcare etc....please spare us this whole "blame the left" agenda.

You really don't know as much as you think you do and are painting with such a broad brush. Calm down.

6 hours ago, King RyderFan said:

Except…life starts at first breath, not conception. You aren’t killing anything, just a clump of cells. 

What do you mean? There’s a massive difference between sex and gender. If anyone’s being transphobic here it’s you. Your gender isn’t decided by what’s between your legs. 

You're a clump of cells, but yet it's a crime if you were murdered. Being a fetus is a stage of life.

If there is a massive difference between sex and gender, then answer this question. Are trans-women women?

12 minutes ago, Doink! said:

You really don't know as much as you think you do and are painting with such a broad brush. Calm down.

I know as much, clearly more than you...the only one who paints stuff with a broad brush is you...and no i will not calm down when womens rights are taken away because religious extremists force their way into a sector they shouldnt be allowed in.

9 minutes ago, Mani-Man said:

I know as much, clearly more than you...the only one who paints stuff with a broad brush is you...and no i will not calm down when womens rights are taken away because religious extremists force their way into a sector they shouldnt be allowed in.

There are such people as pro life atheists. Perhaps you should do some more research.

1 hour ago, Doink! said:

You're a clump of cells, but yet it's a crime if you were murdered. Being a fetus is a stage of life.

If there is a massive difference between sex and gender, then answer this question. Are trans-women women?

There is a MASSIVE difference between a clump of cells that can’t survive outside of the womb and a living breathing human that can. 

Yes. Trans women are women, trans men are men. As I said earlier, what’s between your legs (your sex) does not identify your gender. 

43 minutes ago, King RyderFan said:

There is a MASSIVE difference between a clump of cells that can’t survive outside of the womb and a living breathing human that can. 

Yes. Trans women are women, trans men are men. As I said earlier, what’s between your legs (your sex) does not identify your gender. 

A 3 year old can't survive outside the womb and needs somebody to care for it.

Secondly, thanks for proving my point about sex and gender, as by your statement, you are conflating sex and gender.

12 minutes ago, Doink! said:

Secondly, thanks for proving my point about sex and gender, as by your statement, you are conflating sex and gender.

Are you *censored*ing serious? Seperate a baby from its mother, and it can breathe, its heart can beat and it can live somewhat fine. Removing the clump of cells from the womb and it dies almost instantly. 

I’m not conflating anything. You’re the one towing the transphobic line of your genitals determining your gender. 

On 6/26/2022 at 9:16 PM, Doink! said:

That's ignorant and stupid. That's not going to prevent abortion, just maybe some of it. In the end, if a woman wants an abortion because she doesn't want a baby, then that's perfectly valid.

There's no kid to kill in an abortion. However, the right are the ones actively supporting killing kids by refusing to do anything about the gun problem. If you guys were truly pro-life, and not just trying to control women, then you'd actually do something about the mass shooting problem and give more aid and resources to adoption centers and biological and adoptive parents. Republican politicians do support abortion, but they know their voter base are too dumb to realize that. Abortion is just a topic for them to use to rally their voter base behind, nothing more nothing less. 

What have republicans done to reduce abortion that doesn't involve banning it? 

13 hours ago, Doink! said:

Ironic coming from you. 

16 hours ago, Doink! said:

There are such people as pro life atheists. Perhaps you should do some more research.

Which has nothing to do with my point considering its still fact that the whole thing is spearheaded in the name of Religion.

A friendly advice, stop telling people to do research until you start doing it yourself...looks very desperate on your part when your major talking point is "bargh, do research" while failing at that.

20 hours ago, Doink! said:

I cannot believe people are still taking you seriously. 

• 3 weeks later...

Almost a month after this stupid ban and I’ve seen and heard more than a few stories of women almost dying because they cannog have medical procedure, but hey, at least those babies that aren’t even born yet are not being murdered anymore! Ugh. *censored*ing bollocks is what that is. 

Archived