U.S. Politics Discussion

PaperThinWalls

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, on a personal level...I am friends with an NYPD officer, and he is a fantastic person. He was very outspoken about the protests over this past summer, and was doing everything in his power to support them. I've known this guy from childhood, and he has always been a great person. I honestly don't think there is a bad bone in his body. So...for people asking "where are the good cops"...I think this is why I get bothered by that question. The good cops aren't reported on...because they are busy not *censored*ing things up. When you do your job well, people largely tend to ignore you. You don't hear about the cops who are doing things properly on a daily basis...you hear about the ones who are making a mess of things. There are plenty of people out there with friends and loved ones who have dedicated their lives to being fantastic cops. But, you don't sell ad revenue by talking about those people. Even when you take media out of the equation, you have people like M3J who have extremist opinions, and have already made up their mind. So...that's just a losing battle. If people have decided they hate cops, then that's who they are. There's nothing I can say that will "fix" a poisoned brain. 

On 4/24/2021 at 9:05 AM, Mani-Man said:

Thats one thing i dont get.
People constantly when stuff like this happens say there are a lot of good cops...but where are they?
Once during the last year or so i saw this one cop making a video about police brutality etc.

I saw more "blue lives matter" cops speak up than "good" cops.
And i know in the police force there is some kind of codex that you stand behind your cop buddies...but *Censored* that.
If a cop *censored*s up, speak up or you are not a good cop.
A good cop knows what is wrong and isnt silent about it no matter what.

Police is not supposed to be a gang that gives each other alibies and protect each other when they did wrong.

That we need police is clear, sadly as society we are not even close to be at a place where Police, prisons etc are unnecessary.
But something has to happen, and i think starting to not give them advanced weapons etc is the way.
They get Shock shields, those god damn rubber bullets they fire point blank at people because they are untrained...that is messed up.

Put money into training, into making those people Authority figures you can trust...instead of arming them like an army whos first reaction is to kill people.
Stop worshipping Authority, be it police, military...they are not saints nor Gods.
They are people that are paid to stand between innocent and guilty and make the right decision.
Teach them the right decision, the value of human life, that POC are not target practice.

Problem is, people read one or two articles on good cops helping people and think most of the cops are like that. 

But in all seriousness, arguing that there are good cops is kind of a fallacy because they allow bad cops to do whatever and get away with it. Main problem is, no one holds them accountable or wants to, and they've consistently shown that reform is nearly impossible because they don't want to change, they want to abuse power and not get in trouble. Chauvin's face when the verdict was guilty says it all, dude expected to get away with murder like most of the cops that have. 

Problem is though, people are brainwashed into worshipping the authority, as long as the authority doesn't go against them. Same "Blue Lives Matter" people turned on the cops when the cops didn't let them do as they wanted. 

On 4/24/2021 at 12:53 PM, King RyderFan said:

I was staying quiet on this, but one point @M3J makes really sticks out to me. “Silence makes good cops complicit.” Do you genuinely belive retaliation and numbers aren’t an issue within the police force? If ypu have 9 bad cops and 1 good one, obviously he isn’t going to be able to do much. 

oh I know they are, and it's why I'm somewhat on the fence about this. I mean, I forgot why they did this, but few years ago I read about how a cop in NJ got his house lit on fire by the other cops in his force. 

https://www.themarshallproject.org/records/2528-police-corruption

https://www.bet.com/shows/criminals-at-work/photos/2016/01/7-of-the-most-corrupt-police-cities-in-history.html#!012516-shows-criminals-at-work-12-of-the-most-corrupt-police-cities-in-history-New-Orleans-police-department

https://reason.com/2020/10/26/a-look-at-americas-most-corrupt-police/

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/15-most-corrupt-cities-in-america-for-2018.html/

So many forces are guilty of corruption and protecting bad cops. It's not the case of "few bad apples," like people pretend it is. 

This counts as politics I think but anyone else interested in the biggest first amendment case we had in the longest time about the 14 year old girl who got cut from her cheerleading team for issuing a profanity laced message on Facebook when she wasn't in school

If the supreme Court rules with her it will set precedent basically making it a violation of your first amendment  to be fired for saying anything you want on social media about your employee or about anything off duty

15 hours ago, Lunchbox said:

Newark isn't as bad as people make it out to be, im there all the time and never felt unsafe. 

Every time my grandmother comes to visit, she is like "Oh, thank god your brother doesn't live in Jersey City anymore. I'm always hearing about people being murdered there." Lol. I mean...I'm not fan of Jersey City (or any cities, really)...but, people who feel like cities are constantly out to kill them are hilarious to me. Especially when we live in a time where shootings happen half a dozen times per week at places like grocery stores and offices. My grandmother is also a horrible racist who is always complaining about "the blacks"...so, it's not really a surprise to hear her so frantic and out of the loop about such things. 

But, yeah...I've been to most of those places that people talk about being "dangerous", and there are very few occasions where I was truly in fear for my life. A little sketched out once or twice...but, that's the nature of people. Especially when you have crackheads stumbling around and stuff, you can never be sure what they are thinking about doing. But...I've never experienced true "my life is in danger" type stuff. Probably because anyone who lives in NY/NJ knows how to act appropriately, and where not to go. If you don't make yourself a mark, you are rarely going to have problems with anyone. And it's really not like there are stray bullets flying down the sidewalk every hour of every day. I really think some people view these places as the Wild West with people being thrown through windows and brawling in the streets. Lol. I'll walk right into a chicken joint in the ghetto. Idgaf. Barbershops? Probably not. Hahaha.

8 hours ago, Austin3035 said:

This counts as politics I think but anyone else interested in the biggest first amendment case we had in the longest time about the 14 year old girl who got cut from her cheerleading team for issuing a profanity laced message on Facebook when she wasn't in school

If the supreme Court rules with her it will set precedent basically making it a violation of your first amendment  to be fired for saying anything you want on social media about your employee or about anything off duty

I'm pretty sure businesses will still be able to fire people for what they say on social media if it violates their policies, assuming you work for a privately owned business and not for that state or local goverment. Schools belong to the state and have to adhere by state rules. I'm sure Target or Walmart can still fire you for going on Facebook and dropping N-words about your co-workers and what not. We'll see though, I may be completely wrong on this though.

It's just more attempts to convolute things. Muddying the waters is what conservatives do best.

At the end of the day, all businesses have their own contracts with employees, and they almost all contain verbiage about being able to terminate employees for "any reason" or "no reason at all". Schools don't have contracts with students, so that will be the bigger concern. But, at the same time...you show me a school that doesn't have disciplinary measures for scumbag children. I'll wait. They might not be able to do anything for a rant off school premises...but people who rant online like that usually continue that same behavior in school. Acting a fool during school hours should always be met with punishment.

20 hours ago, maskedmaniac said:

I'm pretty sure businesses will still be able to fire people for what they say on social media if it violates their policies, assuming you work for a privately owned business and not for that state or local goverment. Schools belong to the state and have to adhere by state rules. I'm sure Target or Walmart can still fire you for going on Facebook and dropping N-words about your co-workers and what not. We'll see though, I may be completely wrong on this though.

Actually most places don't have this kind of policy and if this rules in the case of the favor of the girl they can no longer fire you for that

20 hours ago, maskedmaniac said:

It depends, if you put any reference that links you to their company they could maybe do something about it, but like if your social media is private and doesn't hint at anything relating to where you work i don't see how they can. 

Trump surrounded himself with crooks and sexual deviants and then made it seemed like it was his opponents who were the ones who were engaging in this behavior. Also FOX News may have a ton of lawsuits buidling up against them if guys like Tucker Carlson continue to spew false information such the Covid vaccine not being effective and telling his viewers to harrass anyone they see wearing a mask.

I'd love it if they could throw Rudy and Matt Gaetz in jail, at the very least. Rudy's been such a consistent liar and so full of shit, like claiming he doesn't remember Clinton at Ground Zero after 9/11 cleaning up. Man, the right have been so disgraceful for years, if not decades, and the whole mask thing is just making things worse. 

This Arizona recount situation is some bullshit. Apparently they were allowed to just take all the ballots, and the the team responsible for it is not a legit audit team. It's highly likely that shenanigans are afoot. Now...Biden won by plenty. Even the "miracle" of flipping Arizona wouldn't change the outcome of the election, but...if they lie about the count, that will go a long way to reignite their cult. It's another example of facts being irrelevant if you are willing to lie hard enough. And while I have to imagine that blatantly lying about the count is a HUGE crime, I don't put it past them at all. This is literally a partisan count, orchestrated entirely by a far-right team, headed by people who helped spread the voter fraud lies to begin with.

20 hours ago, Generations said:

This Arizona recount situation is some bullshit. Apparently they were allowed to just take all the ballots, and the the team responsible for it is not a legit audit team. It's highly likely that shenanigans are afoot. Now...Biden won by plenty. Even the "miracle" of flipping Arizona wouldn't change the outcome of the election, but...if they lie about the count, that will go a long way to reignite their cult. It's another example of facts being irrelevant if you are willing to lie hard enough. And while I have to imagine that blatantly lying about the count is a HUGE crime, I don't put it past them at all. This is literally a partisan count, orchestrated entirely by a far-right team, headed by people who helped spread the voter fraud lies to begin with.

A judge already threw out and told them they can't use the company they were going to use because the company refused to say how they're going to count the ballots or audit the ballots because it's their trade secret even though they had no experience on ever counting ballots and the owner is a known stop the steals conspiracy theorists

Seems the new motto for the republican party going forward is "if you can't beat them, lie about them"." I'm sure more lies will be made up about re-counts in other states and the next candidate, whether it's Trump again or someone else, will run on simply "they stole the election from us!"

^ It sounds to me like the NY stuff against Trump should stick in a big way. He's still very much a rattlesnake, in the sense that the head can be cut off a rattlesnake and buried in the dirt for long time, and someone can still die from the venom. But, we have a few more years till we need to worry about him running again, and hopefully the NY charges can drag him further under. What we do need to worry about, however, is all the micro-legislation that is happening now to make things more difficult for people to vote. This is going to continue in a big way. Trump doesn't worry me. He could even die from health factors before the next election. He's a *censored*ing mess. But, I worry about the countless ways that the strings can be pulled in the meantime.

4 hours ago, Generations said:

^ It sounds to me like the NY stuff against Trump should stick in a big way. He's still very much a rattlesnake, in the sense that the head can be cut off a rattlesnake and buried in the dirt for long time, and someone can still die from the venom. But, we have a few more years till we need to worry about him running again, and hopefully the NY charges can drag him further under. What we do need to worry about, however, is all the micro-legislation that is happening now to make things more difficult for people to vote. This is going to continue in a big way. Trump doesn't worry me. He could even die from health factors before the next election. He's a *censored*ing mess. But, I worry about the countless ways that the strings can be pulled in the meantime.

But he's the healthiest president we've ever had lol. Yeah, it's sad because what one side does the other side will do as well to stay in power. Out here in Cali the governor has a good chance of getting voted out in a recall election but I feel like the Dems will figure something out to keep him in power, even if enough people would vote against him.

18 hours ago, Generations said:

Aren't Newsom's opponents absolute trash fires like Caitlyn Jenner and Randy Quaid?

I don't really know what a "recall" entails...but, if all he has to do is be better than them...then he's got it. 

Sadly it's not how trash-ass the candidates in the race are, it's how trash the voters are as we've seen in recent years.

On 5/3/2021 at 4:57 PM, maskedmaniac said:

Seems the new motto for the republican party going forward is "if you can't beat them, lie about them"." I'm sure more lies will be made up about re-counts in other states and the next candidate, whether it's Trump again or someone else, will run on simply "they stole the election from us!"

It's scary because this will probably inspire more support for voter suppression and motivate more rightists to vote and even commit fraud. 

On 5/3/2021 at 11:16 PM, Generations said:

Aren't Newsom's opponents absolute trash fires like Caitlyn Jenner and Randy Quaid?

I don't really know what a "recall" entails...but, if all he has to do is be better than them...then he's got it. 

But Newsome's not popular either due to how he handled covid, even amongst the Dems/the left. 

Archived