U.S. Politics Discussion

PaperThinWalls

58 minutes ago, M3J said:

That was not vigilante justice, that was an act of racism.

Highly doubt that many Dems want to disarm the public, just sounds like a fear-mongering tactic by the NRA and Republicans for votes. 

A lot of the more "conservative" mindset runs on fear.
Be it why people "need" guns, why LGBT representation isnt good etc...much of it runs on fear of some kind of dystopian future.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Mani-Man said:

A lot of the more "conservative" mindset runs on fear.
Be it why people "need" guns, why LGBT representation isnt good etc...much of it runs on fear of some kind of dystopian future.

Also on bigotry, like with LGBT+ representation or being so anti-Dem that you have to make shit up and wish violence on them. 

2 hours ago, KingKhan18 said:

" A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs, who has never learned how to walk."- FDR

You quoted a guy from the party of slavery, Jim Crow, and the President who forced Japanese Americans into work camps and tried to pack the Supreme Court to push his agenda through.  He also prolonged the Depression through his policies.  

13 hours ago, M3J said:

That was not vigilante justice, that was an act of racism.

Highly doubt that many Dems want to disarm the public, just sounds like a fear-mongering tactic by the NRA and Republicans for votes. 

The dude was running in a neighborhood that wasn't his.  Let's assume it was an act of racism.  Eliminating the police will only increase these types of encounters where the neighborhood takes the law into their own hands.  I'm not saying we can't police our own neighborhoods, but we can also have the police there as well.

5 hours ago, Doink! said:

You quoted a guy from the party of slavery, Jim Crow, and the President who forced Japanese Americans into work camps and tried to pack the Supreme Court to push his agenda through.  He also prolonged the Depression through his policies.  

Democrats were slowly changing and not the same as they were in the 1800s. But then again, Woodrow Wilson was an actual racist and way worse, and he was a Democrat (though Southern Democrat, which explains).

Of course, most presidents including Trump will pack the Supreme Court to get their agenda through. In this case, unlike Trump, FDR's agenda was to help the citizens, which he did. Thanks to FDR, the Depression was less severe and helped many people while Herbert Hoover's inaction likely made it worse and could have destroyed the country had he or someone with his economic viewpoint won the presidency. I've watched enough documentaries to know or conclude this, before you bother arguing.

Plus, I'm pretty sure Republicans were the ones who prolonged the Depression with their own policies and working against FDR. 

The dude was running in a neighborhood that wasn't his.  Let's assume it was an act of racism.  Eliminating the police will only increase these types of encounters where the neighborhood takes the law into their own hands.  I'm not saying we can't police our own neighborhoods, but we can also have the police there as well.

Or it likely wouldn't because the community would focus on deescalation rather than just shooting outright. The father was a former cop, if I recall correctly. Eliminating the police would probably likely reduce these types of encounters or at least, it'd probably be safer than just letting them loose. I thought this was a non-issue once people realized that cops would rather get violent and fight against the idea of not killing Black people or excessive violence. 

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/1270059322806923264

I can’t say I agree with getting rid of the police entirely, but I do agree that it needs a MASSIVE overhaul. As it stands cops have immunity over pretty much anything shitty. That needs to change, and they need to be held accountable for their actions, good and bad. The question is what exactly though? An independant body? What happens if they end up just as corrupt, who watches the watchmen? Will we end having to set up another independant body to watch over the independant body? Licences like what doctors need? Good idea, but then will the cops be honourable enough to force each other to turn in the licences? History has proven the answer is a big, resounding “HELL NO!”. One thing is for certain though, something has to change.

Can't have change if they refuse to change, stuff like the whole Buffalo PD cheering on those two dudes as they leave the courthouse when they were clearly in the wrong shows that. On top on the their response to stop police brutality was to just turn up the police brutality to 100 so yeah. They are literally showing you they don't want to give up their rights to beat up people of color almost every day for three weeks. 

Minus the first few days of protesting the only non peaceful protests have been ones where the police assert their dominance. Newark had 16k people and not a single thing was broken over the weekend because the police stayed away.

2 hours ago, King RyderFan said:

I agree they need outside pressure to force the change, but what exactly is the change people want? That is the question.

Depends. The further left want to abolish and/or defund police forces. Liberals want to reform it. The far right want cops to keep killing Black people. I'm not sure about the right, but I'm assuming they're indifferent. 

11 minutes ago, Lunchbox said:

It just came out that this cop and Floyd apparently had a altercation before the murder. 

Who won? Can that be used to show it was premeditated?

10 hours ago, M3J said:

Only racists or blind people would care whether they were armed or not. What matters is whether they were a danger or not. If you have a gun safely tucked away on you, does that justify the cops killing you? 

Anyway:

https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop-bb14d17bc759

Do you have proof that they were no danger?  You made the claim.

2 hours ago, Doink! said:

Do you have proof that they were no danger?  You made the claim.

Their empty hands?

Hands raised?

Hands on their head as requested by cops?

Lying on the ground? 

Running away without weapon in hand? 

7 hours ago, NegativeCreep said:

Was a good read, thanks for sharing...

Makes it more clear that it really is nearly impossible to beat the system from the inside as superiors are okay with shittiness. 

So explain all the deaths because of the rioters please?

The only deaths I know of are at the hands of the police. Only police i heard injured the past few days was in NY and it wasn't related to the riots at all. Im gonna need some examples.

8 hours ago, M3J said:

Their empty hands?

Hands raised?

Hands on their head as requested by cops?

Lying on the ground? 

Running away without weapon in hand? 

Makes it more clear that it really is nearly impossible to beat the system from the inside as superiors are okay with shittiness. 

No, I am asking for specific examples.  But of course you knew that.

5 hours ago, Lunchbox said:

The only deaths I know of are at the hands of the police. Only police i heard injured the past few days was in NY and it wasn't related to the riots at all. Im gonna need some examples.

https://newstalk955.com/rioters-kill-black-officer-destroy-black-businesses/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8378601/Two-people-killed-police-officer-shot-violence-erupts-Iowa-town-Davenport.html

In other news, the Minneapolis Police Dept has stopped negotiations with the police union.  Good move.  Public sector unions are terrible anyway.

4 hours ago, Lunchbox said:

Well going by your logic earlier only three people died so its not a problem.

My stat was in a year.  But you knew that.

If you want something locally to me, rioters destroyed a restaurant that employed women trying to escape from domestic violence and homelessness.

Archived