U.S. Politics Discussion

PaperThinWalls

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, EJ! said:

Officer arrested. Step 1.

I wouldn't be shocked if the only reason why they arrested him is to give him better protection. He's also being charged with 3rd degree murder even though this should be at the very least, 2nd degree. First degree is a possibility since they apparently worked at the same place long time ago. I don't think we'll see justice though, but I hope I'm wrong. 

The fact that noone is worried about Trump trying to silence news media because he doesn't agree with what they say about him and social media for the same reason is wild. Dude is following in China and Korea's footsteps on censorship.

21 hours ago, M3J said:

I wouldn't be shocked if the only reason why they arrested him is to give him better protection. He's also being charged with 3rd degree murder even though this should be at the very least, 2nd degree. First degree is a possibility since they apparently worked at the same place long time ago. I don't think we'll see justice though, but I hope I'm wrong. 

Pretty much. There’s only one colour police care about, blue.

6 hours ago, Lunchbox said:

The fact that noone is worried about Trump trying to silence news media because he doesn't agree with what they say about him and social media for the same reason is wild. Dude is following in China and Korea's footsteps on censorship.

I think that got overshadowed by the protests and cops' violence towards protesters. 

3 hours ago, King RyderFan said:

Pretty much. There’s only one colour police care about, blue.

And white. There are videos out there and protesters themselves saying how the cops will hesitate to put hands on white protesters while they have no problem attacking Black protesters. 

@M3J

“And white. There are videos out there and protesters themselves saying how the cops will hesitate to put hands on white protesters while they have no problem attacking Black protesters.”

Maybe, but a black cop still gets treated far, far better than a white civilian would. Police will cover their own shitty behaviour no matter what. *Censored* them. #Bluelivesdontmatter. #BlackLivesMatterToo

I will say these events have shown the fundamental purpose of the police force. It was never about protecting and serving regular citizens, it’s about protecting and serving power structures that operate out of our reach. Why are police antagonizing peaceful protesters? Why are they positioning themselves in opposition to peaceful marchers? What are they protecting if everybody is over here? I went to a protest in Atlanta back in 2016 and it was as peaceful as can be and yet cops were there, lined up, blockading a road, weapons ready. It was so magical and I was so proud of peaceful it was. 20 year old EJ would not approve of what’s going on right now.

But 24 year old EJ doesn’t give a *Censored* anymore. I don’t wanna hear shit about “this isn’t the right way” anymore because “the right way” didn’t do shit and was brushed off as just mere distractions. Nothing fundamentally changed, no proper training, vetting, demilitarization, none of that and now cops still kill with impunity. So yeah, “the right way” was tried for years and “the right way” has failed. So this is what it’s come to. It’s not mindless destruction either. These billy corps will be fine and the damage done will be fixed shortly and their properties are more than insured. Small businesses are avoided but any that took collateral damage are being cleaned up by protesters and their GoFundMes are thriving. This isn’t just a demonstration against police brutality, it’s against police brutality, police, and the systems of oppression they are meant to protect.

Oh yeah, and I’m not falling for the lame ass kumbiyah moments with the police. They do this all time. Appease protesters in the moment and then it’s back to business as usual shortly after. Also the fact that a lot of those cops are undercover within the crowds...how can I, or anyone else trust these badges? Especially when I’m literally seeing how excited they are to pull out their new murder toys at every turn and permanently injure unarmed people in regular clothing.

Police are the only profession that the public doesn’t demand perfection from but are the only ones given the authority to take away lives. You can’t “he made a mistake” a cop killing and then think nothing about the system needs to change. 

"The right way" got MLK killed, and other than an act it didn't really change anything for Black people. Yet they constantly bring him up and quote him, as if he survived to old age and died of natural causes. 

@M3J

Maybe they do treat white civillians better, but a cop can be corrupt while not being racist, but not the other way around. Fix the police covering for themselves and their corruption and the racism WILL follow. From what I read Derek Chauvin, the man who killed George Lloyd, had 17 prior complaints against him. If they had gotten rid of him after the first, second or even third one George most likely would still be alive right now. 

Can't agree with " it's not mindless destruction" when there are plenty of examples of it being just that, such as throwing a homeless man's mattress onto a fire. Or What about the asshat that broke the window on JR Smith's truck (and rightfully got destroyed in retaliation) in an area nowhere near any active protesting was going on? What does sheeit like that do for the cause? Who does it help? I'll tell you who it doesn't hurt: The System.

10 minutes ago, WNX said:

Can't agree with " it's not mindless destruction" when there are plenty of examples of it being just that, such as throwing a homeless man's mattress onto a fire. Or What about the asshat that broke the window on JR Smith's truck (and rightfully got destroyed in retaliation) in an area nowhere near any active protesting was going on? What does sheeit like that do for the cause? Who does it help? I'll tell you who it doesn't hurt: The System.

Glad you mentioned that homeless man. I watched that video. With ALL the cameras around, what are the odds this homeless man happens to bypass all the protesters and end up talking directly to the camera that belongs to...InfoWars to cut basically a promo? There are dishonest actors, absolutely, but to reduce the entire demonstration to that is irresponsible. Everything has been calculated. Racist buildings, stores that house blatant racism, stores that have destroyed neighborhoods or pushed out former residents, those are the ones taking damage.

I agree about JR Smith and I doubt you’ll find anyone who doesn’t.

6 hours ago, King RyderFan said:

@M3J

Maybe they do treat white civillians better, but a cop can be corrupt while not being racist, but not the other way around. Fix the police covering for themselves and their corruption and the racism WILL follow. From what I read Derek Chauvin, the man who killed George Lloyd, had 17 prior complaints against him. If they had gotten rid of him after the first, second or even third one George most likely would still be alive right now. 

According to videos and pictures, they definitely do. Mass shooters have been treated to McDonald's while Black people have been shot in the back multiple times and framed (and it'd have worked too if there wasn't a video). 

Accountability is the key, basically, and I agree. 

3 hours ago, WNX said:

I saw the video of the mattress thing, and I saw no person of color or Black person there, just white people. In fact, in most videos of destruction, I generally see white people, and in some of them they're either stopped by Black protesters or pleaded not to carry out the acts of destruction or to stop. Plus, that video is from InfoWars, as EJ said, so it's automatically suspicious as they're generally full of shit. 

You don't want that officer charged with first degree murder.  That will be very hard to prove and he will more than likely be acquitted.  Even moving it to 2nd degree would be an uphill battle I don't believe they would be able to win.

7 hours ago, WNX said:

Anybody that condones rioting and looting is wrong.  They only condone it when it isn't their property getting vandalized and destroyed.  I wouldn't like it if it were my property, so I can't like it if it's someone elses.

When y’all were in school reading about the great rebellions of history, were you just like “I agree with their cause...but the rioting...” Like how do you feel about the Boston Tea Party?

Also they’re tear gassing homes. We’re really living in some movie shit right now

I don't know what's worse, Trump or his crazed supporters. There's a video of white supremacists in Fishtown area of Philly out with bats, ready to confront protesters. Unless something is done, this might get violent. COps are lucky the protesters aren't armed or using guns like the lockdown protesters were. 

2 hours ago, Lunchbox said:

So Trump is straight up trying to be a dictator, and also has zero idea the powers he does or doesn't have as a president. Dude has driven this country directly into a the ground. 

George H.W. Bush sent the military into California in '92 during the Rodney King riots.  He is allowed under certain circumstances, this being one of them.

56 minutes ago, EJ! said:

When y’all were in school reading about the great rebellions of history, were you just like “I agree with their cause...but the rioting...” Like how do you feel about the Boston Tea Party?

Also they’re tear gassing homes. We’re really living in some movie shit right now

Yeah, that isn't a fair comparison.  The Boston Tea Party happened because the British government was broke and passed the buck onto the American Colonists with unfair taxation while the colonists had no representation.  

"That morning, as thousands of colonists convened at the wharf and its surrounding streets, a meeting was held at the Old South Meeting House where a large group of colonists voted to refuse to pay taxes on the tea or allow the tea to be unloaded, stored, sold or used. (Ironically, the ships were built in America and owned by Americans.)

Governor Thomas Hutchison refused to allow the ships to return to Britain and ordered the tea tariff be paid and the tea unloaded. The colonists refused, and Hutchison never offered a satisfactory compromise."

"In June of 1774, George Washington wrote: “the cause of Boston…ever will be considered as the cause of America.” But his personal views of the event were far different. He voiced strong disapproval of “their conduct in destroying the Tea” and claimed Bostonians “were mad.” Washington, like many other elites, held private property to be sacrosanct. 

Benjamin Franklin insisted the British East India Company be reimbursed for the lost tea and even offered to pay for it himself."

Not everything is always as it seems after centuries of romanticization.

yeah damn shame the founding fathers were bootlickers but my point IS the romanticization. All of us are taught about these rebellions in a way that frames the rebellions as “the good guys” and I agree they mostly were. Those rebellions almost always included things burning down just as they are now. 40 or 50+ years from now, you think this whole thing will be reduced to a “crackdown on looters”? Of course not. The looting and the destruction will be afterthoughts because the effects of them were remedied very shortly after. History will remember this moment as the government showing its willingness to end its citizens’ lives in the name of protecting property, property paid for, in some or way or another, by the very citizens they are hurting.

Archived