Coronavirus 2020 coverage thread

Ziggy Vercetti

2 hours ago, Generations said:

Also, I'm sure republicans are hiding tons of shady shit in the virus aid bill...which is why it's taking so long for dems to agree to it. 

I agree.  Nothing like hiding *checks notes* $600 million for the national endowment of the arts, or solar and wind power funds, or regulating airline emissions.  Oh wait, that's the Dems.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Doink! said:

I agree.  Nothing like hiding *checks notes* $600 million for the national endowment of the arts, or solar and wind power funds, or regulating airline emissions.  Oh wait, that's the Dems.

Too bad none of that stuff is actually harmful, but is instead mutually beneficial to all. *shrug*

This virus situation is directly related to the changes in the climate. Unusual conditions have allowed it to thrive much easier and spread much quicker than it otherwise would have. Thus, asking for solar and wind funds to work towards a future that would help curb climate change is far from the most unreasonable thing. Same goes for airline emissions. If we can bail them out of this situation with billions of dollars, then we can similarly tell them to cut their shit.

13 hours ago, Creepia said:

I work in a department store that does some food and medicine, so Im still waiting to hear if I'm classed as a key worker or not. It's a nightmare. Stay safe everyone.

Any update? 

10 hours ago, EJ! said:

Just coming in here to say this shit. I just woke up not too long ago and I’ve already seen more than enough people saying they would rather die and imply they’d rather thousands of people die than have the economy on pause for too long (a couple weeks). Batshit. Capitalism might the worst religion of em all. Instead of trying to correct this clearly flimsy ass economic system they’d rather urge people to die so that it’s upheld.

The usually mild defeatism of the establishment is now on full blast because even though we are seeing other countries rapidly overcome this, these *censored*ers are acting like they’re hands are tied and we just gotta take whatever comes and hope for the best.

And some republicans and "centrists" are basically saying we should let old people die just so the economy won't tank. Capitalism has failed for decades, but somehow people are brainwashed into thinking it works, and often it's the same so-called "pro-lifers" that are okay with letting people die.

8 hours ago, Generations said:

Also, I'm sure republicans are hiding tons of shady shit in the virus aid bill...which is why it's taking so long for dems to agree to it. 

This is correct, and the Dems want most of the money to go to workers who need it, not to corporations that'll lay off employees. 

5 hours ago, Doink! said:

I love the what-aboutisms that have no relation to anything.

19 hours ago, M3J said:

I love the what-aboutisms that have no relation to anything.

You should really look up what a what-aboutism is, because you are a few yards off.

On 3/24/2020 at 4:31 PM, Generations said:

Too bad none of that stuff is actually harmful, but is instead mutually beneficial to all. *shrug*

This virus situation is directly related to the changes in the climate. Unusual conditions have allowed it to thrive much easier and spread much quicker than it otherwise would have. Thus, asking for solar and wind funds to work towards a future that would help curb climate change is far from the most unreasonable thing. Same goes for airline emissions. If we can bail them out of this situation with billions of dollars, then we can similarly tell them to cut their shit.

This isn't a bailout first and foremost because the government shut them down.

That's some logic you have.

"We are shutting you down so you can't make money."

*Month Later*

"Okay, we can give you money.  But we want a stake in your company if you except it, even though we were the ones to shut you down."

Government has NOT shut them down. Government has banned international travel to some places, but not ALL places, and you can still fly from state to state. And, mostly, the airlines are losing money because people don't want to travel. So...yes, it IS a bailout, during a time when airlines are only seeing a fraction of the business that they usually see. That is precisely what it is. 

1 hour ago, Doink! said:

You should really look up what a what-aboutism is, because you are a few yards off.

Not really.

13 hours ago, dje_wba said:

I heard Trump say yesterday that a recession would kill more people than the Coronavirus will - he can't genuinely believe that, surely?

He likely does. Some republicans are advocating for letting old people die just so the economy can keep going... 

UK people can't leave the house except certain situations now 

not that that's any different to what I usually do anyway

so a "influencer" was doing a "corona virus" challenge and was licking toilets, went to a shop and started licking things, got the virus, and then was arrested as a terrorist and is now in hosptial (and not it seems the "corona virus challenge" is starting to become a thing...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8150945/Influencer-hospital-coronavirus-just-days-posting-video-licking-toilet.html

ffs

1 hour ago, Muur said:

so a "influencer" was doing a "corona virus" challenge and was licking toilets, went to a shop and started licking things, got the virus, and then was arrested as a terrorist and is now in hosptial (and not it seems the "corona virus challenge" is starting to become a thing...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8150945/Influencer-hospital-coronavirus-just-days-posting-video-licking-toilet.html

ffs

heWOApA.gif

8 hours ago, M3J said:

There are several videos out there with the cop or cops wearing mask though. No other reason to have a mask on, no? 

tear gas maybe, I don't know which exact videos are you referencing though. 

But I know where police was battering a man on a motorbike or something with some long sticks... which proved to be old and no connection with the situation. 

There's a lot going on in India on a normal day...so, it's hard to say what is new, or "out of line" with everyday clashes.

They already had serious problems over there with people being beaten to death in the street for their religion. 

My guess is that the police are wearing masks to protect against the virus...but the footage of people being beaten is probably just a continuation of the religious skirmishes that had already been ongoing. One cannot simply assume that the police are beating the shit out of people for "going out". They might be. No one is saying they aren't...but, you can't just assume that. 

Apparently Trump sent a letter out now, to governors and mayors, explaining that he's working on a bill to dictate when it's appropriate for states to increase or decrease coronavirus quarantines. 

F THAT NOISE. 

Horrible *censored*ing idea.

Remember when everyone said "Trump will kill us all", when he first became president...and all his supporters said "quit being dramatic". Yeah...this fool is really about to force cities to return to normal just because he wants business to continue.

7 hours ago, AONO. said:

tear gas maybe, I don't know which exact videos are you referencing though. 

But I know where police was battering a man on a motorbike or something with some long sticks... which proved to be old and no connection with the situation. 

That was one of the ones I was talking about, but there were two men. Either way though, I wouldn't mind having that sort of stuff here, as much as I hate police brutality.

Many people who live in India have said that the police are taking advantage of the quarantine to abuse their positions and attack people, though, which isn't surprising. So I guess if that was allowed here, we'd see even more Black people and people of color get shot. 

The White House cut a deal with General Motors to manufacture 80,000 ventilators to fight the coronavirus pandemic. The New York Times reports that the Trump administration put off the announcement because it didn't like the price tag.

The decision to cancel the announcement, government officials say, came after the Federal Emergency Management Agency said it needed more time to assess whether the estimated cost was prohibitive. That price tag was more than $1 billion, with several hundred million dollars to be paid upfront to General Motors to retool a car parts plant in Kokomo, Ind., where the ventilators would be made with Ventec’s technology.

It's a war, we're told. With all our other wars, there's no limit to how much money is blasted into space, or burned making fighter jets that can't fly in the rain. But as congress passed a $2tn bailout, much of it for private corporations, another $1bn on life-saving medical equipment was sudden cause to worry about costs.

Archived