Coronavirus 2020 coverage thread

Ziggy Vercetti

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/index.html

Pretty much this is for any news or info about the virus spreading to your state or country.  Some events been getting canceled left and right. Been hearing mixed reports on WM may or may not being in jeopardy. 

the first case has reached my neck of the woods apparently ? Y'all be safe and wash your damn hands ffs. 

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The show will go on...but the crowd might suck. If anything, the travel bans and international travel in general will make the crowd more domestic. You'll probably lose a big part of what makes that crowd special and unique...but I'm sure the tickets will still sell in the states.

Apparently some idiot up at Dartmouth, NH working with the hospital was tested positive and was told to self-quarantine but decided to go to a party in Bennington, VT instead so potentially 200 or so people are under watch so that's how I know the sheeit is in the state. I work hospitality so my people are already flipping out over the flu season as it is

Americans really are dumb, holy shit. I've even read how airport officials did a horrible job of vetting people - like a lady shared how she got away by lying that she never went to Italy, when if the official turned the page, he'd have seen she did. 

Too many people follow the president's word like it's gospel. (Not just this president...but any president).

Of course, this particular one is spreading false information about it not being a serious problem.  It won't be a serious problem if people do what they should...but, when so many people take his word on the "fake news" narrative, they don't even bother treating it like a threat. This is not the flu. I keep hearing people say that more people die annually from the flu...but this is not an annual situation (yet). We don't have an annual statistic, because this is still growing. All we do know is that the mortality rate is higher than the flu.

This is a situation that requires critical thinking (which seems to be missing these days). Don't panic and freak out...but do something a little more than "Lieutenant Dan" from Forest Gump. If everyone gives half a shit, then we'll be okay. That's asking too much, I know.

Also, this will probably go away and then come back next season much worse. Just sayin'.

2 minutes ago, King RyderFan said:

So...this is the fancy new disease the media's exaggerating then? Just keep your hygiene in order and you’ll be A-OK chaps. No need to go around cancelling WrestleMania or anything.

Asking the US to keep their hygiene in order is way too much. I regret to inform you. You ever been to a Walmart?

2 minutes ago, King RyderFan said:

So...this is the fancy new disease the media's exaggerating then? Just keep your hygiene in order and you’ll be A-OK chaps. No need to go around cancelling WrestleMania or anything.

Pretty ignorant comment, really. I mean you could be the most hygienic person in the world and all it takes is one contaminated person to sneeze or cough anywhere near you and you've got a high chance of catching it. 

There are countries in lock down to stop the spread. You think a dumb wrestling show - with people from all corners of the world - is immune to that? It's ignorance like that-that's helped spread it to over 100 countries as it is. 

I mean, didn't the doc that caught this virus early and warned about a potential outbreak end up dying from it?

It's far from a hygiene thing

1 minute ago, ThreeG said:

Pretty ignorant comment, really. I mean you could be the most hygienic person in the world and all it takes is one contaminated person to sneeze or cough anywhere near you and you've got a high chance of catching it. 

There are countries in lock down to stop the spread. You think a dumb wrestling show - with people from all corners of the world - is immune to that? It's ignorance like that-that's helped spread it to over 100 countries as it is. 

True all it takes is one contaminated person, but the chances of you actually getting it are pretty low. The media is really exaggerating the danger of it, like they did with Zika, Ebola, and Swine Flu before it, those resulted in travel bans and lock downs too, yet life went on. I never said Mania, or [INSERT NAME OF PUBLIC EVENT HERE] was immune, just that the chances of said event causing a massive outbreak are slim to none. 

According to CNN, as of this post, Corona Virus has killed 3,800 people, with over 108,000 recorded infections. Keep in mind these are global numbers there. The population of my home county of Essex, England is 1,478,000 (approx.). It’s barely a dent in a part of England, never mind the whole planet. If you want to take precautions that’s your prerogative, but I’m going to live my life as is. No reason to reach the “KILLER PANIC! END OF HUMANITY!” panic button the media likes to play just yet. 

TL:DR: The disease isn’t as bad as you think, and even if you do catch it, you only have a 96.5% chance of recovering. I’m not personally worried about it myself.

5 minutes ago, King RyderFan said:

The media is really exaggerating the danger of it

No. They aren't. It is the exact level of awareness that there should be. People should be alert. The potential for the situation to become much worse is very high. Hence, you are being bombarded with warnings. People need to stop acting like the news is full of shit (because it isn't, and things are genuinely not very good).

Again...don't panic, but act like there is something wrong (because there is).

18 minutes ago, Generations said:

No. They aren't. It is the exact level of awareness that there should be. People should be alert. The potential for the situation to become much worse is very high. Hence, you are being bombarded with warnings. People need to stop acting like the news is full of shit (because it isn't, and things are genuinely not very good).

Again...don't panic, but act like there is something wrong (because there is).

Oh I agree 1,000% we should be on some alert and the media should be spreading awareness, but there’s spreading awareness and being alert, and then there’s stuff like this:

8A0029A7-EF77-4EA0-A976-41579D479B58.thumb.jpeg.724165d65ed4d8ef18d9e0daf2f38c4b.jpeg

I don’t know how the US media handles it, but the UK is dreadful at fearmongering about this.

Lunchbox’s point is pretty spot on. The only people truly at danger from this are children, the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions.

What exactly are those BBC posts supposed to mean in your opinion? Because I fail to see how that's "fear-mongering".

The news is too scary, so it isn't true?

Those are literally just factual statements about the impact of the virus. And that's what I'm getting at...it seems like people have a problem with hearing negative statistics about bad shit these days. Grow up and pay attention. Bad situations don't cease to exist just because you want them to. It's the onset of a pandemic. It might be convenient to put your fingers in your ears and go "la-la-la-la"...but that doesn't change what is happening.

I hate this conceited mentality of "it isn't at my doorstep, so it's fake".

The world is a big place, and people need to stop acting like shit isn't "real" just because it doesn't affect themselves and their next-door neighbors. This virus isn't wiping humanity off the face of the earth...but, that doesn't make it a joke. Politicians are doing us no favors in downplaying the levity of the situation. It's an unpredictable illness that could feasibly pop up just about anywhere. If people are living in fear of that, then they probably have weak constitutions. But, we should all be aware of the actual facts. And the "media" gives us that to some degree...whether people are afraid of it or not. It's way better than hearing "everything is fine".

When you start hearing "everything is fine", you're really screwed (and I think we are more than halfway there). 

In USA though, it's worse because of the shitty and expensive healthcare. I think the testing for coronavirus is free, but you have to meet the prerequisites first, one being that you were in contact with an infected person. 

You can alert people without posting three notifications in the span of a day. I never said it wasn’t truthful, just excessive for the situation. The media should not be acting like a constant running counter like that. “115 people infected!” the next day, “163 infected!” day after “200 infected!” “246 infected!” and so on. If they reported the common cold the way they reporter Corona no one would leave the house. Plus, look at the numbers. 163 reported infected in the UK sounds scary when there is nothing to compare it to, but doing some research the UK populated by approx. 66 million people. 163/66,000,000 are infected. It’s barely anything. I’m not against hearing negative statistics about bad stuff, being in the UK it’s all you ever hear, but the media’s exaggeration snd sensationalism of Corona isn’t helping things.

I really think you're failing to grasp the situation,  Ryder. It's not really about the number that we know are infected...it's about the numbers that we don't know.

If the media ceased to alert people regularly, they would grow complacent and forget all about it...because that's what people do these days. The intention of reminding people frequently, is to keep them from going back to old habits. We want people to keep washing their hands, keep avoiding large crowds...and act like they genuinely give a shit. (Like I said before...it's a stretch, I know). 

The media is literally just telling people "yeah...bad virus out there...act like you give a shit". And the response of most people is "fake news, leave me alone".

Common cold is common. Coronavirus is new and has no known vaccine or whatnot, hence the fear. Might be overblown, might not be, but that's mostly due to how unknown the virus is. 

I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. So far, it hasn't affected my area yet. Praying that it never does. I've had a lot of health problems in the past few years, last thing I need is this shit to deal with.

basically what Gen is saying. Just because you don't need to panic, because panicking also leads to wrong information, that doesn't mean you have to downplay it. The dangers of the virus are not measurable only in mortality rates, the point is, or rather "was", that the virus doesn't spread and that you don't create a new seasonal one which will potentially mutate and have even worse implications. Example, the Spanish Flu. Also the virus is more easily spread than the flu, I forgot the right terminology for it, but that is also one of the reasons why it's so hard to control it. 

For example one of the reasons why it has spread so quickly in Italy, which now has it the worst after China and South Korea, is because the initial reaction was there, but it wasn't sufficient. It's also unknown who was the patient zero. So people who have spread it have for a while roamed around carelessly also with the notion how it's nothing to worry about. Now they are closing down provinces. Italy is also 3rd largest economy in Europe, a lot of smaller countries are dependent on it, from tourism, goods, and so on... Not to mention how virus spreading in countries like Croatia and Slovenia were a direct result of the crisis in Italy. 

So yeah, you maybe shouldn't "fear for your life", but downplaying it is dangerous .

Only thing that worries me is America is *censored*ing up the handling of it. $3000 for a test when in other countries is $18 which is going to make people just not take the test and spread the virus. Not only that your hearing tons of stories of people not being fully tested for it when they actually get the test. 

Archived