Official WWE Super Showdown 2020 Discussion Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I glanced at the results for this one, I think this is the exact kind of show that made me walk away from WWE.

Goldberg beating the guy who happily stood up after 19 curbstomps and a hammer to the skull, in 2020. That's hysterical. This might legitimately be the worst booked wrestling angle I've ever seen. I really feel for Bray too, this is shitty for him with how clearly invested he was in making this thing work.

I will add, that Goldberg to me seems like he has very little respect for the wrestling business, and only really has respect for his paycheck. I don't necessarily blame him for wanting the cash for his family, but it really leaves a terrible taste in my mouth seeing him first come in to take the belt from a red-hot Kevin Owens, and now also coming in to beat the "unbeatable" Fiend, while offering nothing remotely appealing in return, especially when even he can't be oblivious to how bad he is these days. I couldn't see a veteran like Jericho, Edge or HBK agreeing to do something like this.

I remember when Cena used to be called every name under the sun for going over everyone, even after a hard-fought match where his opponent(s) used to look strong. But it was always a "burial" because they lost.

Seems like the same logic doesn't apply to Lesnar though, even though he's essentially been squashing 95% of his opponents for the last 6 years. Apparently it "makes sense".

What's funny is that if Cena beats Fiend at 'Mania in his first match in forever, he would still be criticized. But if Lesnar beats McIntyre, it will all make sense because... it's Lesnar. :rolleyes:

No one embodies the phrase "same old shit" like Lesnar.

Hope this helps

Bray took 72 Curb Stomps, a hammer over chairs etc over his face causing a DQ inside HELL .. IN A CELL, and along comes Gas Bag and wins with 4 spears and a ...whatever the *Censored* it was he did to get the 3 count. It's bullshit. That's what it was. Bray got *censored*ed over AGAIN!

Should never have given Bray the title in the first place

I remember when Cena used to be called every name under the sun for going over everyone, even after a hard-fought match where his opponent(s) used to look strong. But it was always a "burial" because they lost.

Seems like the same logic doesn't apply to Lesnar though, even though he's essentially been squashing 95% of his opponents for the last 6 years. Apparently it "makes sense".

What's funny is that if Cena beats Fiend at 'Mania in his first match in forever, he would still be criticized. But if Lesnar beats McIntyre, it will all make sense because... it's Lesnar. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps

Several differences.

A: The company would twist the narrative in ridiculous ways to try and make Cena look like the good guy.

B: Lesnar has never blatantly latched on and tried to buddy up to the hottest act in the company like Ol' Johnny Boy has done to Ryback, Ryder, Enzo & Cass, and so many others.

C: How many people has Lesnar outright killed off by beating them? Only one name comes to mind, Kofi Kingston, and even then I feel like Xavier's injury had just as, if not more of a role in that than the Lesnar squash. A guy like Ricochet can slot straight back into the midcard, no issue. Meanwhile on the Cena side of things you have Bray's & Rusev's original gimmicks, Nexus, Mark Henry after his fake retirement, and that's just off the top of my head.

"Bray didn't need a title" stuff is bs. It was a worthwhile and a different idea. And it works as a concept, the champ maybe wasn't in action every week, which is a good thing, but he was always there in some capacity, even if that was Firefly Funhouse, or The Fiend. And tbh they *censored*ed it up around after they've began reffering more to The Fiend than Bray Wyatt, that was a huge red flag for me. That was after he won the title and around the draft. Because it was obviously supposed to be the other way around. I mean sure, that HIAC match was garbage that already threw people off, but it was recoverable.
And it would have thrived if it wasn't for the Vince/Prichard/Cole trio.

At first it really was freaking creepy, and everything was falling into place. The mystique, the mandible claw, the ambiance, Brays work... And on SD: "OMG The Fiend is dragging Bryan straigh down to hell!"... Really?

I was building my PC while watching this, but wow this was one of the worst shows Ive ever seen.

Also, The Fiend losing had nothing to do with why I think this show sucked.

The Taker angle was really dumb, the whole gauntlet was awful, the Universal title match sucked, I didnt really pay attention to Reigns and Corbin but it didnt seem interesting, dont even get me started on Brock squashing Ricochet. I was much more mad at that.

Also, the audio was terrible.

I really cant believe they flew people out to *censored*ing Saudi Arabia for this show lmaooooo.

Hope this helps

1) I gave both shit for years. 2) Cena had terrible babyface booking where WWE treated him like an underdog for many matches for many years. 3) Only one person here said they wouldn't mind Lesnar going over Drew at WM.

Hope this helps

I'm in absolute agreement with you about Brock. Brock's booking was the reason I stopped watching WWE in the first place. It doesn't even matter if Brock loses the title, he's guaranteed to get it thrown back at him a few months later for another shitty reign of terror, chock full of repetitive Heyman promos and squash matches.

I wouldn't use it to defend Cena though. Cena at his worst devoured too many promising careers. As much as I enjoy late-career Cena, him being the one who wanted to beat Nexus at SummerSlam and effectively end their momentum, in the face of Jericho and Edge saying they shouldn't win, plus countless other momentum killing wins against people like KO or Wyatt still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The WWE crew used for Super ShowDown flew out of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia last night at around 2am local time and landed in Boston, Massachusettes as scheduled earlier this morning.

Flight data confirms that WWE used Atlas Air for the flight, which is the same charter they used to fly to Riyadh from Winnipeg after Mondays RAW. This is also the same company that was used during the travel debacle after WWE Crown Jewel 2019 in the Kingdom.

After the suspicious delays the WWE crew encountered last fall, there were apparently no issues with this trip and the WWE crew landed safely in Boston for tonights SmackDown from the TD Garden.

Great to hear

• Jmerc unpinned this topic

Archived