Official WrestleMania 36 Discussion Thread

Jeb ★

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Night 2 was pretty meh match quality-wise. Edge and Drew winning were top class moments, but that's about it. 

Edge/Orton was MOTN for me and Rhea/Charlotte was the only other match worth anything. 

And to the surprise of absolutely nobody, Lesnar continued to prove that he's the worst thing to ever happen to WWE. Seriously, can he please *Censored* off? He's absolutely *censored*ing dogshit. Just *Censored* off and stink up the joint elsewhere man.

Oh, and I didn't really like the FF match. I understand the logic behind it but I just couldn't get into it. Loved 'Taker/Styles, but this wasn't it. 

Overall, preferred night 1 for the matches and night 2 for the moments (particularly Edge/Drew winning if nothing else).

Kudos to WWE for going through with this event with everything going on, but I don't think I'll look back on any of the matches towards the end of the year as a potential MOTY candidate. Maybe Edge/Orton? But I might be super biased there, haha. 

That Wrestlemania was disgusting 

Boneyard, Funhouse and Edge were all great I guess. Drew winning the title was cool too (finally a Brit woo), but Lesnar is just gonna win it back at a Saudi show in 3 months anyway, so what is the point in getting excited?

overall as a show, 5/10... for the effort. Night 1 suffered from bad pacing in the beginning, but kinda picked up later on. Night 2 was such a chore to watch.

Firefly Funhouse Match > Boneyard Match. 

Seth vs KO was the match of the both nights, followed by the ladder match. They were 100% focused on each other, didn't need a crowd. to feed off of. Character work was pretty much perfect. The restart of the match without it being cringey. I know people weren't invested in the story as much as in some others, and that months ago people didn't even want the match or expected it in some case, but they really made it work. The only downfall of the whole feud is that it lasted waay too long and went nowhere in the weeklys.

LMS could have been like, 15 minutes shorter. Their effort was cool really, and Randy in the whole feud was on his best stuff, but the match production was bad. 

Overall, too many filler matches just so they could have done it in the equal parts of 3 hours for two days. And that made it look like another RAW episode or something.  Bad decision imo. 

Shayna losing was disgusting. I don't believe they will drop her completely, but I hate this kind of booking where they drop ones momentum that was huge and then later on again trying to recapture it in a similar fashion with a story twist or something. Same with Rhea, both were something that womens division needed really bad. And they have built them since... November. Womens division is in the worst state it has been in years. 

Goldberg vs Braun. That was just hideous. And I was almost ashamed. No one to blame but themselves. I don't care for Braun "finally getting the title" or whatever, especially not with this recent public comments. 

Brock vs Drew. Well the same thing would have happened on normal Wrestlemania. The only thing that would justify that, would be the crowd that would be behind Drew. Otherwise, we have seen this shit for like, what feels a hundred times. Without that, as a final match for some "big show", it was just... no... it didn't work. Couldn't they had a proper *censored*ing match? And I'm not excluding that Brock won't show up somewhere and take a title again, so... 

Tbh. I wouldn't be surprised if reports of basically only Vince wanting to do this, are true. Yes, I know it changes a lot of plans, future year. and your storylines and everything, but this was waaay worse. Hell, I'm sure fans would be far more excited of seeing something different. They would even be more forgiving if you tried something new and it didn't work. This was not "new", they have tried to do things as always, but with a minimalist spin. And it didn't work. 

Reset. Please. I'm sure fans would be more grateful than they think and when they come back in proper fashion, they will come back proper. 

Edge vs. Randy Orton was horrible. All of the worst about the Baron Corbin vs. Roman Reigns match, just twice as long.

It was also the longest Wrestlemania match in history outside of the Iron Man match...

Everything in the WWE is backwards. Two great wrestlers, booked as really strong and talented having a normal match for a Championship? 2 to 4 minutes.

Two wrestlers who are in a blood feud, that can't stand each other and supposingly want to "kill" each other? 40 Minute, slow and sluggish, punch and brawl match.

Otis vs. Dolph Ziggler is the way Edge vs. Orton should have gone. Not whatever this was supposed to be. Especially not with non-personal, thematically competitive matches lasting less than 5 minutes

I thought Night 2 was pretty bad. The NXT women’s title and Otis/Ziggler were the only good matches. SD women’s title wasn’t so bad either, I guess. Edge/Orton was a long, meandering disappointment. Drew/Lesnar was a better version of Goldberg/Strowman, but I much rather see this match formula go away. And Bray/Cena was like a Walking Dead episode I saw a few weeks ago which I think says enough.

I forgot, yeah. Rhea vs Charlotte was good as a match if you take away Rheas unnecessary screaming lol. SD womens title match was actually good, when I started paying attention to it. Also a yucky finish, but the talent in it did really good.  

It was a good time to pay attention to good booking, details in matches and everything. Yet they still did the opposite of that. 

Also...not a knock on people on this forum, because it really isn't even closely as frequent here as it is on Twitter, Reddit & co., but can we talk for a moment how people constantly criticize NJPW, AEW and NXT for having people kick out of 1 or 2 Finishers and that the WWE, unlike them, focuses more on "storytelling"? The WWE main roster does this more than any of these three brands/companies. Braunberg/Brockintyre both consisted of 1 move each and the rest were nothing but Finishers. Drew kicked out of the F-5 at 1 several times for christ's sake. Atleast when Tanahashi did it, there was a story behind it. These so called "matches" are infuriating to me even more so, because the vocal WWE-fanboy-base constantly complains about matches in NJPW, AEW and NXT having people "spam their finisher".

27 minutes ago, LEGION said:

Also...not a knock on people on this forum, because it really isn't even closely as frequent here as it is on Twitter, Reddit & co., but can we talk for a moment how people constantly criticize NJPW, AEW and NXT for having people kick out of 1 or 2 Finishers and that the WWE, unlike them, focuses more on "storytelling"? The WWE main roster does this more than any of these three brands/companies. Braunberg/Brockintyre both consisted of 1 move each and the rest were nothing but Finishers. Drew kicked out of the F-5 at 1 several times for christ's sake. Atleast when Tanahashi did it, there was a story behind it. These so called "matches" are infuriating to me even more so, because the vocal WWE-fanboy-base constantly complains about matches in NJPW, AEW and NXT having people "spam their finisher".

He kicked out of the F-5 at 1 just once and it made perfect sense from a storytelling perspective. The match was a finisher spam-fest because Lesnar couldn't be arsed. 

If Goldberg can't move for more than 3 minutes, let's just say that Lesnar can't be bothered to.

The fact that no one is even surprised how that "match" went says it all about how Lesnar gets a free pass with doing *Censored* all and the reason is cited as his "booking". He's not this invincible character WWE makes him out to be. He's lost several times since ending the streak. I wish WWE would stop acting like he's almost impossible to beat already because it doesn't work anymore. 

Or maybe he's booked like that because he sucks and is not capable of working a proper match. Yeah, I'll go with that. 

Not gonna lie Wrestlemania overall took my mind off all the drama even in an empty arena. I thank them for not cancelling it. We needed that shit. A unique Wrestlemania, regardless of the outcomes we don’t agree with that’s what we needed! The two nights should be a one time thing for sure though. Given the circumstances I know they felt the two day would help and it did. I needed both days as a distraction. It worked. Shoutout to WWE for adapting. 

3 minutes ago, PaperThinWalls said:

What a foolish thing to say after his SS and RR performances.

Is that the same RR performance where he did *Censored* all for half the match except dominate... something he does every match?

Listen... the point is that it's high time Lesnar stops being booked the way he is, where he needs to put in next to no effort to dispose off his opponent(s). That aura was there when he ended the streak, then he lost to 'Taker the very next year, then he lost to Goldberg (in less than 2 minutes), then Reigns then Rollins, then McIntyre (within 2 minutes). That's not a large number of matches he's lost, but in the context of the invincible force he's made out to be, it's telling that he's lost half his matches within 5 minutes or so. His "performances" are nothing but the same 2-3 moves every single match with his "booking" being used as an excuse, but the paradox is that his losses and the manner in which he loses doesn't justify that kind of booking either.

It'll just be easier for everyone if he's booked like a normal *censored*ing wrestler and not the invincible (with the not-so-invincible record) force of nature he is.

Can’t really blame people for not seeing Brock’s value. However even him asking Drew to hold up the belt during the buildup was enough to cement my love for Brock. He didn’t have to do that shit. He wanted to get Drew over and he damn sure made him look like a star. Meh. 

7 minutes ago, Crazy. said:

Is that the same RR performance where he did *Censored* all for half the match except dominate... something he does every match?

Listen... the point is that it's high time Lesnar stops being booked the way he is, where he needs to put in next to no effort to dispose off his opponent(s). That aura was there when he ended the streak, then he lost to 'Taker the very next year, then he lost to Goldberg (in less than 2 minutes), then Reigns then Rollins, then McIntyre (within 2 minutes). That's not a large number of matches he's lost, but in the context of the invincible force he's made out to be, it's telling that he's lost half his matches within 5 minutes or so. His "performances" are nothing but the same 2-3 moves every single match with his "booking" being used as an excuse, but the paradox is that his losses and the manner in which he loses doesn't justify that kind of booking either.

It'll just be easier for everyone if he's booked like a normal *censored*ing wrestler and not the invincible (with the not-so-invincible record) force of nature he is.

No thanks. He’s not a normal wrestler or performer. He actually draws. He’s booked like that because that’s how he needs to be booked. It works. 

14 minutes ago, Crazy. said:

Give up dude, you're on your own.

7 minutes ago, A.O.L. said:

No thanks. He’s not a normal wrestler or performer. He actually draws. He’s booked like that because that’s how he needs to be booked. It works. 

He's booked like he's invincible yet has lost more than half of his matches within 5 minutes. It worked. It doesn't anymore. It makes no sense. There's still people that care about match quality and don't lose their shit as soon as Lesnar so much as shows up.

3 minutes ago, Creepia said:

Give up dude, you're on your own.

1. I'm not alone in thinking he sucks.

2. Even if I am, that means I can't express my opinion? Do I need to act like a sheep and pretend that he's amazing when I quite clearly believe he isn't?

Express your opinions all you want. Just like I can say you should give up because it's a frivolous argument that goes nowhere all I want. Crazy world right? You're about 3 posts away from calling people snowflakes or something.

9 minutes ago, Crazy. said:

He's booked like he's invincible yet has lost more than half of his matches within 5 minutes. It worked. It doesn't anymore. It makes no sense. There's still people that care about match quality and don't lose their shit as soon as Lesnar so much as shows up.

He’s booked like he’s invincible yet Drew got most the offense and pay off during most of the build up. I don’t see it personally. I can’t fault you for hating Brock but it comes off very strange when you post about him. 

Archived