Official WrestleMania 36 Discussion Thread

Jeb ★

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now some places are reporting that Mania might get moved to June at MSG...

But I'm pretty sure they're saying this virus could still be going all the way through the summer. So...not sure if that would even be feasible. Not to mention, they already announced it at the PC, and that's only like two weeks away...are they really going to take back what they just said, and run the risk of the event being cancelled altogether, just to take a shot in the dark at it being postponed till June at MSG?

Honestly...this is great time for people to check their priorities. I know it's a bummer what's happening with sports and entertainment...but those people will all rebound fairly easily. A bigger impact right now is happening to normal people who don't have millions in their bank accounts, or can't turn to alternate means to make side money. If WWE/NBA/actors, etc. can't perform, they can create a youtube channel or something and have a million followers over night (still sucks really bad for the indy performers though). Normal people can't do that. Especially people who work paycheck to paycheck or live off tips in the bar and restaurant industry. 

^

Exactly. This *censored*ed up my situation immensely. I still do have some savings left, that's not a problem, but winter has been sketchy, and things should have been going on an upward trajectory from March/April... and the plan was to save up money through summer and start with Uni again in the autumn... now, that feels pretty improbable to say the least. 

7 hours ago, Creepia said:

The replies I'm reading from some of you are severely disappointing. "Just postpone it"... as if its that easy. You think McMahon can just keep a hold on a venue he's basically rented of that magnitude indefinitely? There are bound to be a million different business reasons why they simply can't just postpone the show. Seriously guys, think a little before you start moaning about it.  Don't feel sorry for Edge, and this is not his first match back. He had that moment in the Rumble (which was his first match back might I add), and that moment over any Mania match he's going to have will be the one that people remember for the rest of time. You guys remember when AJ Styles was a surprise in the 2016 Rumble right...and do you remember any of his Mania matches that much since? Exactly. Edge can always have his big Mania return next year...it's not like this will be the last one. They happen every year.

The irony is that WWE will probably pull out the best Wrestlemania show they've done in years. They are lazy as *Censored*, but tend to pull it out the bag when their backs are against the wall.

I agree with the bolded part. 

I don't find that it would be easy just to postpone it. Nor that it would be easy to find another venue so quick. But to me, this is all very symptomatic of what kind of factory WWE is. But the fact that you can't postpone it because that impacts your whole schedule and your machine just might get derailed even for a few months before it gets back on track... is very telling. The thing is, all this is going to continue through at least April, and probably May at the very least. And what after Wrestlemania? They are still going to run shows from the PC? Going with old or even new stories after the fact? Suspending the whole production for a few months would probably lead to financial loses, not just due to being no live events whatsoever, but TV deals would have to get amended. The thing is, it would shake the company to the core and some serious restructuring would have to be done, and that's what they are the most afraid of and trying to avoid imo. 

On the other hand, I can see tons of new or old subscriptions to the network coming back, and even though the production at the PC would be minimal, they would be nowhere near the live event ones of course, but probably costly to a degree... yet PPV buys will probably be pretty good, because who wouldn't want to see the most unique Wrestlemania in history? That alone will probably atleast cover the cost of production, if not more. Though the money they don't get from WM week will certainly have a lasting impact. 

Back to the creative/consumer/product perspective... the time off they could actually have here would probably do more good in the long run and when they would be back in full force. They have to realize that this non stop mentality will catch up to them at some point, and this just might be a good opportunity for some of those changes or at least try a different perspective. 

It isn't going to be like the Raw and SD shows we've been seeing at the PC...I can almost guarantee that. I don't know exactly what it WILL be...but it's going to be something really interesting, methinks. Maybe even taking place at more than one location, such as Mania 2 did. Which is honestly what I think they should try to do. Edge vs Orton is a LMS match, for example. You could literally shoot that anywhere (even outside)...have it pre-taped, and then just plug it into the show. You could have a combination of live feed from the PC, and pre-taped segments shot elsewhere...and if they already have the pyro and stuff, they could surely find a way yo utilize that as well. It's going to be interesting...but I don't think it will be bad. Hell...I don't even think the next editions of Raw and SD will be bad. I think this was just a case of being caught off guard, and quickly shifting gears. Hence, half of these shows being PPV match highlights (still a bad call...but I get why they did it). But...for a company that loves to say "We aren't pro wrestling, we're entertainment"...they should surely be able to present us with plenty of entertainment, even given the current situation. 

WrestleMania 36 is now set for a historic two-night presentation on WWE Network with former New England Patriot Rob Gronkowski hosting The Show of Shows at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT on Saturday, April 4, and Sunday, April 5.

The 2020 edition of The Showcase of the Immortals will make history as the first to span across multiple days.

Earlier this week, it was announced WrestleMania 36 would emanate from the WWE Performance Center in Orlando and only essential personnel will be on the closed set during production.

Titles and legacies are on the line as WrestleMania 36 features a loaded slate of matches. Royal Rumble winner Drew McIntyre challenges WWE Champion Brock Lesnar, Universal Champion Goldberg defends his title against Roman Reigns, and Raw Women’s Champion Becky Lynch looks to fight off the rise of Shayna Baszler. Also, 16-time World Champion John Cena also returns to battle “The Fiend” Bray Wyatt, AJ Styles hopes to put the “final nail in the coffin” of The Undertaker’s career and much more.

Gronkowski revealed the new format and his role as host on his Twitter earlier today. The three-time Super Bowl champion also promised more details when he appears on SmackDown this Friday on FOX at 8/7 C.

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/wrestlemania-36/article/wrestlemania-36-two-night-wwe-network-rob-gronkowski-host

6 minutes ago, Generations said:

10 bucks says they're making it two nights because they know that one long event with no crowd would have people sleeping.

It will be interesting, for sure.

Agreed.

Although i imagine this decision has also been made because of limiting the amount of people working on the same night.

8 minutes ago, Stingersplash123 said:

Wasn’t Takeover or the Hall of Fame supposed to be on Saturday? I imagine the Hall of Fame’s cancelled for now, not sure how they could really do it.

But what about Takeover?

All Mania activities minus Mania itself are cancelled.

6 hours ago, Counting Lights said:

They really didn't do Sasha vs Bayley AGAIN? Instead Tamina's rancid ass is getting a title shot?

Supposedly, Bayley and Sasha did not want to have a one-on-one match at Mania, as they did not believe that they would be given enough time to be able to have the kind of match that they want to have-- although with this being a Mania like no other, perhaps that might not actually have been the case this year.

6 hours ago, glennsoe said:

Wonder if there'll be any 205 live matches on the card - they deserve it. .

They are considered apart of NXT now so probably not.

Archived