Official NXT TakeOver: Portland Discussion Thread

Jeb ★

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, a lot of good shit being posted in here.

Im surprised you guys loved Kai vs Nox as much as I did. That match was VIOLENT. It legitimately looked like they despised each other. Id say probably my favorite too. I think Meltzer said it was his least favorite. I laughed.

I guess you can say Roode had a good run as champ but I didnt care for him holding the belt at all. I rather keep it how we have it then Roode as champ again.

For a while now my MOTN on a TakeOver wasnt the main event.

I agree with the false finish critique though. Under certain circumstances it definitely can work, but its been abused by pretty much everyone everywhere. PWG, NXT, NJPW, ROH, maim roster sometimes. However, I do feel like NJPW does incorporate things slightly different. They rely more on big moves, finisher reversals and hulk up/fighting spirit spots rather than direct kick out of finishers all the time. But its one of the reasons I grew tired of PWG. I literally and physically grew exhausted at the length and spots that cards from match 1 were putting out. Like I longed for a short match for once lmao. I just think NXT needs to dial it down just a little bit when it comes to their main event matches on Take Overs. And yes, fresh blood is needed.

Define: "a lot".

Are just false finishes the problem or kicking out of finishers? If it's the latter, I could agree... but then again only Ciampa kicked out of Last Shot (without the kneepad), and Gargano.

I mean, I see people complaining about "false finishes", so I don't know if I am completely missunderstanding, or the term got seriously muddled up over the time...

Really mean the use of a thousand finishers. You can still hit big moves and get the same impact of the false finish without devaluing finishers.

Kicking out of Finishers works better if wrestlers are allowed to have more than two finishing moves. Like...nobody expects anyone to lose to a single Attitude Adjustment on PPV now. If Cena were to pull out a more Death Valley Driver version of the move, dropping his opponent on the head, and winning every match with it, it would work better.

I hate to bring up New Japan all the time, but if you look at Kazuchika Okada and Will Ospreay you have two textbook examples of doing it right. Both in different ways. Okada's actual Finisher is always the Rainmaker. It is the set up that changes. Meanwhile Ospreay has been "forced" to use more elaborate moves to win matches as he moved up the card. People can still lose to the Oz Cutter, so there is some suspense there, but it's his simplest finishing move. Stormbreaker and the Hidden Blade are sure match ending moves, so when Hiromu Takahashi kicked out of the Hidden Blade as the first person to do so, it's big. If more people do it, Ospreay will need to come up with something new.

WWE/NXT should be more like that and they almost were there for a time with Ciampa. He had the DDT, the Armbar, Project Ciampa and then had to add the Fairytail Ending to his formular.

I'd have to agree with that. Multiple potential finishing moves would really spice things up in bigger matches when you legitimately don't know what might be the finish.

I wanted Lee to rotate between the Big Bang and Spirit Bomb, because the latter feels way more impactful and I'm always a little sad when he doesn't win with it.

Or Riddle having the Bro-Mission? Whatever happened to that?

Define: "a lot".

Are just false finishes the problem or kicking out of finishers? If it's the latter, I could agree... but then again only Ciampa kicked out of Last Shot (without the kneepad), and Gargano.

I mean, I see people complaining about "false finishes", so I don't know if I am completely missunderstanding, or the term got seriously muddled up over the time...

Really mean the use of a thousand finishers. You can still hit big moves and get the same impact of the false finish without devaluing finishers.

What am I missing here?

When did you last see tgat they spammed finishers? Or at least kicked out from a finisher cleanly more than once?

Riddle probably doesn't use it because he's in a tag-team right now. KOR and Fish are both submission guys, but they win matches with the total elimination.

Even pre tag team, he had transitioned over to the Bro-Derrick for a few months now.

I also really like when he busts out the Elbow's that just keep on raining down until the guy taps out.

greatest thing about WALTER. dude wins with anything.

Literally the best thing. In WWE 2K I gave him a regular stacked up powerbomb and avalanche powerbomb as finishers. Clothesline from hell and shotgun dropkick as sigs. But use the diving body splash as a normal dive sometimes and get the pin.

Archived