PSA: Do NOT let your system’s clock tick over into 2020 (Causes CAW, MyPlayer & Community Creations to crash)

King RyderFan

A WWE game under EA would be more functional and come with a new engine built but probably would come with microtransactions stuffed in it. With how laughably bad 2K20 is, not sure that's a bad trade off

Not in 1 year it wouldn't. Again, I don't think some of you guys realize this. You CANNOT build, bug test, and prepare an entirely new feature rich engine in a single year. Its just not going to happen. As long as WWE demands its one game per year, you won't be seeing a new engine made instead of building on the previous one.

Its like trying to build a five star hotel in the span of 3 hours, its just not going to happen no matter the manpower you have without cutting a *censored*load of corners and making a deathtrap.

Nevermind that EA would probably try to force whatever poor developer they force the game on to use Frostbite which would be an absolute disaster.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A WWE game under EA would be more functional and come with a new engine built but probably would come with microtransactions stuffed in it. With how laughably bad 2K20 is, not sure that's a bad trade off

Not in 1 year it wouldn't. Again, I don't think some of you guys realize this. You CANNOT build, bug test, and prepare an entirely new feature rich engine in a single year. Its just not going to happen. As long as WWE demands its one game per year, you won't be seeing a new engine made instead of building on the previous one.

Its like trying to build a five star hotel in the span of 3 hours, its just not going to happen no matter the manpower you have without cutting a *censored*load of corners and making a deathtrap.

Nevermind that EA would probably try to force whatever poor developer they force the game on to use Frostbite which would be an absolute disaster.

Madden have gone through two or three engines in the 2010s without skipping a beat. Frostbite is also not that bad. A WWE game under the Frostbite engine would at least be developed to not auto crash because of a year change.

Madden have gone through two or three engines in the 2010s without skipping a beat. Frostbite is also not that bad. A WWE game under the Frostbite engine would at least be developed to not auto crash because of a year change.

Frostbite was built and designed for shooters and has been repeatedly pointed out to be a huge pain in the ass for games other than shooters to develop for, and is one of the reasons Bioware developers despised working on Inquisition.

Madden is also a MUCH different game from a WWE game and, no offense to football fans, trying to compare the two is a bit like trying to compare apples to TV projectors, there's no similarity there.

Also, when you say "had 3 different engines" are you saying they made 3 different engines completely from scratch? Because somehow I very much doubt that. Built and redesigned the previous one maybe, but creating three different engines for the same series in the span of one decade would and should be considered INCREDIBLY wasteful of resources.

Frostbite was built and designed for shooters and has been repeatedly pointed out to be a huge pain in the ass for games other than shooters to develop for, and is one of the reasons Bioware developers despised working on Inquisition.

Madden is also a MUCH different game from a WWE game and, no offense to football fans, trying to compare the two is a bit like trying to compare apples to TV projectors, there's no similarity there.

Also, when you say "had 3 different engines" are you saying they made 3 different engines completely from scratch? Because somehow I very much doubt that. Built and redesigned the previous one maybe, but creating three different engines for the same series in the span of one decade would and should be considered INCREDIBLY wasteful of resources.

Madden has gone from whatever they were using till 2012 to Ignite from 2013 - 2016 to Frostbite in 2018 and beyond, all in one decade.

Frostbite being designed for shooters hasn't stopped it from being a functional engine for FIFA, Madden, Need for Speed as well. Worst case scenario it would use the Ignite engine like NHL still does, an engine that was created for sports use, so it's not even a forgone conclusion that EA would "force" anything on anyone. Not sure Bioware, the company whose ego was the biggest reason for the disaster that is Anthem, is the best example for Frostbite being "an absolute disaster" for other games too.

An EA game released with either engine would be released in better condition than 2K20 was while being more supported with patches post release than we've seen from 2K20 or any WWE 2K game for that matter.

Madden has gone from whatever they were using till 2012 to Ignite from 2013 - 2016 to Frostbite in 2018 and beyond, all in one decade.

Frostbite being designed for shooters hasn't stopped it from being a functional engine for FIFA, Madden, Need for Speed as well. Worst case scenario it would use the Ignite engine like NHL still does, an engine that was created for sports use, so it's not even a forgone conclusion that EA would "force" anything on anyone. Not sure Bioware, the company whose ego was the biggest reason for the disaster that is Anthem, is the best example for Frostbite being "an absolute disaster" for other games too.

An EA game released with either engine would be released in better condition than 2K20 was while being more supported with patches post release than we've seen from 2K20 or any WWE 2K game for that matter.

I did not say Frostbite is impossible to develop for, I said that it is difficult to develop with, and that is backed up by multiple statements by various developers in EAs umbrella.

And while we're at it, I am not convinced the game would be any less buggy under EA when A: The game would still require a yearly release, B: there are plenty of EA games that ARE buggy (Anthem, for instance, had serious bug problems) , C: all of the sports games you mentioned are absolutely nothing like wrestling, even UFC is extremely different and requires completely different presentation and mechanics.

Nevermind that even in the ideal world where it wouldn't be buggy, it WOULD be extremely featureless, especially in single player, and we CAN use UFC as an example of that where the single player is ridiculously bare bones, especially its fighter creator (and killing CAW mode like that would absolutely be a death blow to a series that has built a large amount of its reputation on its creation tools).

So you'd get a game that ideally is less buggy, but comes without a myriad of features that makes the games bareable missing and not likely to come back, microtransactions and loot boxes up the ass, even worse nickel and diming for the roster, a career mode that would be even worse than what we've gotten in the past from 2K (especially since 2K has finally hit their stride with the WWE career mode, even if I have some issues with 2K20s presentation of its story), STILL wouldn't be able to make correct engine edits (because, again, yearly release date as mandated by the WWE itself and the publisher doesn't get a proper say in that).

And lets not also forget that giving EA any more series in general is a terrible idea considering their history of just killing anything problematic. If you think WWE would get the big triple A Mass Effect, Dragon Age, or FIFA treatment then you're delusional, the audience just isn't there compared to the others. Whether under 2K, EA, or friggin Zynga, the games are still going to have a limited budget and only so much can be done under that budget.

SO. What can 2K do to save 2K21? Well unfortunately i'm not too sure they'll pull it off either. Because in order to fix the 2K20 issue they need to.

• Investigate and reprimand or fire whoever it is, whether it be the testers or the coders, who aren't doing their damn job. I don't know which is responsible but someone or a group of someones clearly isn't taking their job seriously when it comes to 2K20.
  • Move whatever exec who appears to be trying to steer the series towards "WHOA WAAACKY!!11" to a different series ASAP, because they are either out of touch or were never in touch to begin with when it came to what made 2K19 a success.
  • Much as I hate to say it, consider working out a new deal where they and Yukes trade off on making a game each year to keep up with WWEs (idiotic) demands. A bump in the budget couldn't hurt.
  • As much as I stand by the old saying I came up with "Never Remove, Only Improve", I think they need to start looking at what works and what doesn't, and start thinking about changing or ripping out stuff that just doesn't work. There are things in the games that are simply needless and useless (the ref randomly grabbing you when your opponents out of the ring, for instance. A useless animation and AI string that does nothing but screw with the player because the AI of the opponent will always get a free shot over it).
  • Have one area of the game they work on each release and work on it damn well. We've seen what happens when they try to work on a host of areas at once and it isn't pretty. Have a game where they focus on improving the create modes, or Universe mode, or the story modes, or (although I'd probably skip it) the online modes, or etc.
  • Whatever Yukes code they're still using (and yes, they are still using predominently Yukes coding, they are not going to replace all that in a year) they need to go through and CAREFULLY rewrite. From what i've been able to tell, Yukes' coding is an absolute mess, and I'm sure at least a small percentage of the issues in 2K20 came about because new code is clashing with old code and the new guys might be having trouble figuring the old code out.
  • This is a big one. TEST, YOUR, *censored*ING, PATCHES. No more rushing them out when they clearly haven't been tested for even five minutes. I know everyone screaming at them on social media must be a nightmare, but rushing those patches and DLC out are in my opinion resulting in situations where one thing gets fixed only to break 3 others, then the one fixed thing breaks again later. I know time is of the essence, they need to get working on the next time by I believe the end of February, but rushing these patches out when they haven't been properly tested and retested and adjusted is only making it harder for everyone including themselves.
  • and finally, learn from the competition. There's a rumored AEW game on the way, Yukes apparently are working on their own game now, Fire Pro does a couple things in a really unique and flawless way. he upcoming competition is good, so embrace it.

I think the WWE games would benefit from the ragdoll physics like in the UFC games as far as striking and whatnot goes.

some of the strikes do have a bit of rudimentary physics involved but I would love to see that enhanced once they get the rest of the code mess dealt with. Although it does need to be pointed out that the majority of the UFC game deals in strikes whereas wrestling involves a hell of a lot more grapples that would likely end up using it so it would probably be a very different beast to work with.

Archived