Official Royal Rumble Discussion Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These rumors of Edge signing a three year deal are hard to believe lol If so, I hope it is a very light schedule, for his body's sake anyway. Plus he probably would like to continue acting I'd imagine.

Also, can we talk about how perfect the lyrics are for this occasion? Lol

FrD2MvS.png

These rumors of Edge signing a three year deal are hard to believe lol If so, I hope it is a very light schedule, for his body's sake anyway. Plus he probably would like to continue acting I'd imagine.

Also, can we talk about how perfect the lyrics are for this occasion? Lol

FrD2MvS.png

After his first neck injury this was definitely a fitting theme to have.

I'm happy for Drew, I like Drew.

But, just until a month ago he was the Scottish Psychopath... and out of nowhere a "redemption story". He was also randomly lurking for the longest time now and had strange alliances. And people pretending like this was something "genius", well it wasn't. It was something quick and lazy really that worked in this moment... but longterm? Eh, I guess we will see... but this just feels too weird.

Might also have something to do with the fact that "dethroning Lesnar" story has been run in to the damn ground for what, 6-7 years now? And this time, it's not like he had some crazy invincible run...

Idk, I think Kevin Owens would have worked a thousand times better, especially this year.

Don't get me wrong throw everything at the guy, I'm just sad that they did *Censored* all for people to be invested in Drew until the rumble, and now they are going to do some "hard work pays off and dreams come true, WwE is the place to be" schtik.

Also, fun fact Drew resides in Tampa.

Just finished the show half an hour ago and am still buzzing. Might have been my favourite Rumble (mens) ever. I expected to hate Lesner dominating all but he really brought it and it all building to Drew eliminating him then winning was perfect.

I like KO but Id hate if he won the Rumble over Drew.

Also, was listening to the Observer and Meltzer said the original plan was to have Shayna & Reigns win. Dont know when it was changed but Im happy besides Shayna not winning. Let Reigns still face The Fiend but having him win the Rumble again wouldve been terrible.

there is no way The Fiend wins against Reigns, at WM, but yeah I was ready for the outcome of Reigns winning the RR match, so any other winner was more than welcome.

And for me, Charlotte deserved most of the things she got... but this was ideal for Shayna.

But, just until a month ago he was the Scottish Psychopath... and out of nowhere a "redemption story". He was also randomly lurking for the longest time now and had strange alliances. And people pretending like this was something "genius", well it wasn't. It was something quick and lazy really that worked in this moment... but longterm? Eh, I guess we will see... but this just feels too weird.

Might also have something to do with the fact that "dethroning Lesnar" story has been run in to the damn ground for what, 6-7 years now? And this time, it's not like he had some crazy invincible run...

Idk, I think Kevin Owens would have worked a thousand times better, especially this year.

Don't get me wrong throw everything at the guy, I'm just sad that they did *Censored* all for people to be invested in Drew until the rumble, and now they are going to do some "hard work pays off and dreams come true, WwE is the place to be" schtik.

I remember there being a lot of reports saying that Drew has been slated for a big push for a while now. Drew got injured back in September, so him being out of action obviously slowed down the process of him rising through the ranks and everything... so maybe that's the reason Drew winning the Rumble probably felt quick and lazy. Evidently WWE didn't want to stray away from their original plans with Drew despite the setback.

I'm just curious on whether Drew being a babyface was apart of the plan as well. Regardless, I'm happy for him and surprised. Definitely thought Roman was winning this one.

I enjoyed that.

The moment of the night for me was obviously Edge's return. You could tell he was tearing up during his entrance and that meant everything to him. So, so happy with how everything went.

Drew though. As crap as the first half of the Rumble was, it helped in a way to put Drew over when he got rid of Lesnar. Knew at that moment that he was making the final 3 at the very least but I'm delighted they went all the way with him because he is ready, and has been for a long time. They took a big step towards establishing him as a top guy and now they need to have him beat Lesnar at WrestleMania, because otherwise all of this would have been for nothing.

I enjoyed most of the other matches too. Seen people didn't like Becky/Asuka too much but I enjoyed it personally. Same with Fiend/Bryan. Bayley/Evans was lame to me. Reigns/Corbin was fun for what it was.

Also, I'm pretty sure Reigns is gonna face Fiend either way at 'Mania so he didn't need the win. Same with Charlotte. Shayna would have been a better pick but eh.

I'm not sure if you've noticed but they've been building Drew up for quite a while. According to Cagematch.net the last televised 1-on-1 match he lost was back in August and he hasn't been pinned since Survivor Series. And it was smart to have him eliminate not only Brock, but Roman too. Doing so solidified him as a main event player, especially after Brock's long streak of eliminations.

Yeah, KO wouldnt have been the right choice. Hes busy with Rollins and that has no end in sight. Plus, at this point, we badly needed a new face in this spot and Owens has been there before.

As far as Drews booking, I wouldnt call it lazy at all. In fact, hes been booked pretty smartly. Theyve been building Drew in this way since the beginning of Dec. when he was put in really solid squash matches each week. Then he was put in a match against No Way Jose early this month where a lighter side of him became very apparent. After that he went into a fun, competitive program with Orton. As far Im aware of, theres no redemption story being told here. Hes just a guy in a better mood now.

Yeah, I feel like Drew's "redemption" was already completed when he won the NXT Championship. Granted, it wasn't the WWE title; but, for him to leave, reinvent himself, make a return and win a major/World Championship in WWE was a big fulfillment. I'd say it's a lot less of redemption and more of a case of Drew simply being on a hot streak; riding a wave of momentum leading into the Rumble match and finally getting into a good zone.

And like I said, Drew's booking here lately was probably meant to happen months ago if it wasn't for the injury.

Regardless, I feel enough time was definitely given to him to get him into the Rumble position and then at the the Rumble itself, he was booked VERY strong. The booking to this point has been a success. I wouldnt change much about it. Theyve succeeded at making him a credible threat to Lesnar even if its been under two months.

I remember there being a lot of reports saying that Drew has been slated for a big push for a while now. Drew got injured back in September, so him being out of action obviously slowed down the process of him rising through the ranks and everything... so maybe that's the reason Drew winning the Rumble probably felt quick and lazy. Evidently WWE didn't want to stray away from their original plans with Drew despite the setback.

I'm just curious on whether Drew being a babyface was apart of the plan as well. Regardless, I'm happy for him and surprised. Definitely thought Roman was winning this one.

Idk, reports have been there since he made the transition from NXT really. He did have that feud with Reigns last year, but that's it really. Otherwise he has been either side muscle of somebody or in a alliance like Ziggle, Braun...

He did have a random turn in december, so yeah, it probably was. Besides it's like you can't go against Brock as a heel.

I'm not sure if you've noticed but they've been building Drew up for quite a while. According to Cagematch.net the last televised 1-on-1 match he lost was back in August and he hasn't been pinned since Survivor Series. And it was smart to have him eliminate not only Brock, but Roman too. Doing so solidified him as a main event player, especially after Brock's long streak of eliminations.

Again, not much of a build up. It went over a lot of peoples heads I'm sure, since he wasn't involved in a major program at all. This was more of a shock treatment than a real build up, that's my only point/gripe.

Yeah, KO wouldnt have been the right choice. Hes busy with Rollins and that has no end in sight. Plus, at this point, we badly needed a new face in this spot and Owens has been there before.

As far as Drews booking, I wouldnt call it lazy at all. In fact, hes been booked pretty smartly. Theyve been building Drew in this way since the beginning of Dec. when he was put in really solid squash matches each week. Then he was put in a match against No Way Jose early this month where a lighter side of him became very apparent. After that he went into a fun, competitive program with Orton. As far Im aware of, theres no redemption story being told here. Hes just a guy in a better mood now.

Could have easily wrapped up in the next month or so. I mean sure, now it will lead to WM, but eh, while it's been cool, I think it will get tiresome by that time. But I remember people wishing for a match with Lesnar since he debuted. And for me it would be even better than the Seth arc, because even though his has been a natural one, it had it's crinegey moments with not giving up, taking damage so much damage, broken ribs and so on. Also, Owens has been working the program with Shane which was establishing him as a face, and had that whole "for the fans" schtik. Then, he took on the "false messiah" Seth Rollins, and in the end, and finally capturing the WWE Championship in a main event Wrestlemania match, he got rid of Lesnar which has been put into that distasteful position for a billionth time.

Didn't say Drews booking was "dumb". Again, it reminded me of Del Rio. Like, he was the only one that cared for the Rumble, but while also kinda being the guy that you are wondering if "they really are going to do that with him?".

So basically that's what I was saying, all this time he was this devastating merciless Scottish Psychopath person, so that was just pretty randomly put in for last month and a half. He had squash matches before also, this was not THAT new, or that was even indicating that would lead to a WM main event. I mean, what I'm saying is, I wish they wrote it better and gave him some proper build up, that's all. And also what I've said with the Lesnars part in all of this in the previous post.

They will bank on the redemption don't worry. Major points for a fresh babyface on RAW though.

What's really a proper build-up, anyways?

Drew winning definitely would have been more predictable at that point if they spent a month or two longer doing the same stuff he's been doing recently - and that's not to say that predictability is necessarily a bad thing at all like most people claim, but I feel like wrestlers don't really need 2+ months of build-up in order for their Rumble victory to be validated. I doubt many people expected Drew to win, which is cool. I knew Drew was gonna win the moment he eliminated Brock. Would have been ridiculous even by WWE's logic for anyone to eliminate Lesnar and NOT win the Rumble - especially considering the fact that he's the WWE Champion.

A build up which would do a better job at investing the fans on the superstar. With a short term shock, there is a big risk of that his main event appeal to a broader audience will tapper off. And if you are going for a new main event babyface, I think that it's a fair point.

I didn't say his win isn't a good one in that regard, like it's not "validated". It absolutely is, and he looked pretty damn good in the Rumble. I'm only saying that I wish that there was something proper that lead up to this. A featured feud that had some coverage on good screen time or something. Like, there wasn't really some momentum behind this.

There was momentum, though. There were several people rightly predicting him in the predictions thread because he had momentum and people were invested. In fact, I was able to predict him the night Brock announced he was in. I didnt pull that out of my ass. I saw how they were booking him and knew he had to be the guy. Heymans whole MO right now is building new stars and this exactly what this is. Thats where the shock factor comes in. The fact that hes a new face in this spot and theyre actually getting behind him. The lead up to this was there, though. So in that sense it was not very shocking.

Archived