Former Dev: WWE 2K21 "not looking good, either"

xphen0m

I'm not sure who this guy is, but apparently, this guy is/was a dev on the WWE games, and has been putting out videos talking about his past experience and the nightmare that is WWE 2K20. In this video, he explains that devs have quit in double digit numbers, WWE 2K20 is selling poorly and doing poorly all across the board and that means the budget will be slashed for next year's game with a much smaller team. Basically, 2K21 is going to suck from how it's looking. 2K are basically distancing themselves from the game, he mentioned. No one "wants this stink on them".

This guy went so far as to endorse Fire Pro Wrestling World, which is a great game, and I agree with that. The recent DLCs have been good/great. He basically advised us not to pre-order 2K21.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, as mean as it sounds, with the direction the industry is going, I have zero sympathy for anybody who preorders a game in the modern day and ends up disappointed. Release days aren't street dates anymore, they're beta releases. We've been saying for years that it's past time for consumers to show these devs they're gonna have to change things if they want our ducks. When will enough be enough for people?

historically the first wrestling game of a new console gen is bad.

SmackDown Just Bring It sucked

Wrestlemania 18 sucked

I never played SvR 2007 or 2K15....but i haven't heard good things.

21 sits in the 2k14 spot; they've never released a, first next gen game, the same year a console came out. Highly doubt they'll start now.

historically the first wrestling game of a new console gen is bad.

SmackDown Just Bring It sucked

Wrestlemania 18 sucked

I never played SvR 2007 or 2K15....but i haven't heard good things.

SvR 2007 was great, but that was a port of the PS2 version to XBOX 360. The first true game for the new consoles was SvR 2008 for PS3/360 and we know how people view that game.

I'm gonna make a prediction that 2k25, 2k58, 2k72, and 3k20 are gonna be bad. I shook one of the dev's hands once; I'm super credible.

You should record a time capsule video sarcastically asking if 3k20 sucked like you thought? Leave it for your great, great, great, great, uh....grandkids.

It can't possibly be worse.

Backstage Assault...

Gameplay-wise, nothing was lost from WCW Mayhem to B.A. It was a functionally playable game which had plenty of hidden characters, which was the secrets and features style of the time.

The design choice to have no ring, and the downgraded visuals from Mayhem were stupid, granted. Although B.A. PS2 version is clearly where all the development focus went. Just a shame that the PS2 version of B.A. (similar to how Alone In The Dark: A New Nightmare did it) was cancelled with the poor sales of PS1 port. And then WCW Mayhem 2 was cancelled due to WCW dying.

In terms of being a playable game without glitches, WCW B.A. spanks WWE 2020's ass.

Backstage Assault...

Just a shame that the PS2 version of B.A. (similar to how Alone In The Dark: A New Nightmare did it) was cancelled with the poor sales of PS1 port. And then WCW Mayhem 2 was cancelled due to WCW dying.

I believe they were one of the same. Backstage Assault 2 and WCW Mayhem 2 (as well as WCW 2000) were working titles for the PS2 game, which later went on to become Def Jam.

Backstage Assault...

Gameplay-wise, nothing was lost from WCW Mayhem to B.A. It was a functionally playable game which had plenty of hidden characters, which was the secrets and features style of the time.

The design choice to have no ring, and the downgraded visuals from Mayhem were stupid, granted. Although B.A. PS2 version is clearly where all the development focus went. Just a shame that the PS2 version of B.A. (similar to how Alone In The Dark: A New Nightmare did it) was cancelled with the poor sales of PS1 port. And then WCW Mayhem 2 was cancelled due to WCW dying.

In terms of being a playable game without glitches, WCW B.A. spanks WWE 2020's ass.

Naw BA was worse, along with 09. Design choices were so poor, that it overrides a glitch-fest.

What? No it doesn't. You could still make caws, edit in-game wrestlers, play matches, play various modes in WCW BA... That is 2020's main issue.

People could potentially begrudgingly ignore the zombies and crap if everything else worked fine, but they don't. People are stuck on square one with creations, in-game wrestler edits and universe modes, because glitches, crashes and official patches are all waiting to corrupt their savedata.

Honestly, after this debacle, I'm done with the franchise. I've learned my lesson, it was a very hard lesson but I learned my lesson. Whether this guy is telling the truth or not, it's fairly obviously from how WWE 2k20 has been handled that he's probably not that far from the truth.

What? No it doesn't. You could still make caws, edit in-game wrestlers, play matches, play various modes in WCW BA... That is 2020's main issue.

People could potentially begrudgingly ignore the zombies and crap if everything else worked fine, but they don't. People are stuck on square one with creations, in-game wrestler edits and universe modes, because glitches, crashes and official patches are all waiting to corrupt their savedata.

Believe what you want to believe; I'm *censored*ing done with everything.

They should just beg Yukes to come back lol

This. it's the only way the series can get back to being even decent again. Can't see Yukes wanting to go back though unless the WWE agrees to stop the yearly release restriction.

Archived