WWE Show Discussion

PaperThinWalls

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AONO. said:

maybe in jest... but yeah, let's not pretend Goldbergs win wasn't a shock. 

No, it really wasn’t a huge shock in the sense that the rumor mill was telling us there was a good possibility that Roman/Goldberg was going to happen. I know I considered the reports for my predictions, but I still ended up going with Bray retaining because I thought surely they wouldn’t throw away months of build for a bare bone feud like this, right?

Boy, was I wrong! lol

6 hours ago, PaperThinWalls said:

No, it really wasn’t a huge shock in the sense that the rumor mill was telling us there was a good possibility that Roman/Goldberg was going to happen. I know I considered the reports for my predictions, but I still ended up going with Bray retaining because I thought surely they wouldn’t throw away months of build for a bare bone feud like this, right?

Boy, was I wrong! lol

rumor mill has been saying that Reigns vs The Fiend is locked for WM for months and months, and the same match made all the sense from whatever perspective you can think of, even their illogical one. What I was mainly referring to was Greame Joneses post "how it was so obvious ever since Goldberg appeared on SD". It really wasn't, most people were expecting for Fiend to retain at Saudi Arabia nad saw that much as pointless, and just catering to the SA shit with Goldberg appearing. I'm not talking about few snarky comments that were like: "oh just watch WWE put the title on Goldberg lolz", you can always say shit like that for whatever.  

5 hours ago, LEGION said:

If anything...Bray winning was more wishful thinking from us viewers.

"Surely they wouldn't waste the Fiend's build up on Goldberg..." "Don't be ridiculous. Even the WWE wouldn't do that." And then they did.

in the end, it seems like that it was. I'm certain that very few saw Goldberg capturing the title. Yeah, you can always say stuff like that. You could have said that for Lesnar beating the streak...  

34 minutes ago, AONO. said:

rumor mill has been saying that Reigns vs The Fiend is locked for WM for months and months, and the same match made all the sense from whatever perspective you can think of, even their illogical one. What I was mainly referring to was glensoes post "how it was so obvious ever since Goldberg appeared on SD". It really wasn't, most people were expecting for Fiend to retain at Saudi Arabia nad saw that much as pointless, and just catering to the SA shit with Goldberg appearing. I'm not talking about few snarky comments that were like: "oh just watch WWE put the title on Goldberg lolz", you can always say shit like that for whatever.

Neither am I. I’m talking about Meltzer saying Goldberg/Reigns was very possible, if not likely to happen when Goldberg/Fiend was booked. He was definitely not joking around when he reported this stuff.

14 minutes ago, AONO. said:

right, ok, whatever. Meltzer reported it, so I guess it wasn't as shocking as it was and suddenly everybody saw it coming. 

In some sense, yeah. It was in the back of peoples’ heads for those who were aware of the reporting.

BTW, here’s Meltzer discussing the WM card changes back in Feb:

At around 1:20 he talks about being told by his sources that Wyatt/Roman was changed. And prior to that he speculated that Goldberg could possibly become champion: https://www.ringsidenews.com/2020/02/09/why-goldberg-may-become-wwe-universal-champion-at-super-showdown/

Again, the point being made here is that people were definitely seriously talking about Goldberg beating Fiend, so his win wasn't as shocking as you're making it out to be. What was shocking was how they easily gave up on Fiend's dominant push less than two months away from WM.

They should be staying indoors. ? And yet, it's in these times we need this title the most.

Also, how Riddick Moss went from not being used in NXT for like a year or so to a longest reigning champ in history is crazy lmao

23 minutes ago, PaperThinWalls said:

At around 1:20 he talks about being told by his sources that Wyatt/Roman was changed. And prior to that he speculated that Goldberg could possibly become champion: https://www.ringsidenews.com/2020/02/09/why-goldberg-may-become-wwe-universal-champion-at-super-showdown/

Again, the point being made here is that people were definitely seriously talking about Goldberg beating Fiend, so his win wasn't as shocking as you're making it out to be. What was shocking was how they easily gave up on Fiend's dominant push less than two months away from WM.

"I don't know if it was changed, but I was pretty much told it has changed"  - from the video where you pointed it out.

"Meltzer did say that he thinks Wyatt will win at the Super ShowDown, but Goldberg is certainly the more marketable WrestleMania match. As of a week ago Roman Reigns vs Bray Wyatt is still Vince McMahon’s match at WrestleMania, but he can always change his mind." - from the article. And as you said, speculated.

So, how is all this "seriously talking about Goldberg beating Fiend"?

so his win wasn't as shocking as you're making it out to be. What was shocking was how they easily gave up on Fiend's dominant push less than two months away from WM.

Which started by Goldberg beating the The Fiend... 

This was never a 50/50 chance in general audiences view... come on man. I stand firmly at the point that majority of the people fully expected The Fiend to retain. 

Like I said, whatever, I really don't want to discuss Meltzer of all people. At first I was commenting at the reaction how "everybody saw this for months and from a mile away", which simply wasn't the case. 

7 minutes ago, Fight Me. said:

They should be staying indoors. ? And yet, it's in these times we need this title the most.

Also, how Riddick Moss went from not being used in NXT for like a year or so to a longest reigning champ in history is crazy lmao

And beating Riccochet cleanly lmao

58 minutes ago, AONO. said:

"I don't know if it was changed, but I was pretty much told it has changed"  - from the video where you pointed it out.

"Meltzer did say that he thinks Wyatt will win at the Super ShowDown, but Goldberg is certainly the more marketable WrestleMania match. As of a week ago Roman Reigns vs Bray Wyatt is still Vince McMahon’s match at WrestleMania, but he can always change his mind." - from the article. And as you said, speculated.

So, how is all this "seriously talking about Goldberg beating Fiend"?

Which started by Goldberg beating the The Fiend... 

This was never a 50/50 chance in general audiences view... come on man. I stand firmly at the point that majority of the people fully expected The Fiend to retain. 

Like I said, whatever, I really don't want to discuss Meltzer of all people. At first I was commenting at the reaction how "everybody saw this for months and from a mile away", which simply wasn't the case. 

I’m just pushing back your original assertion that “nobody” saw Goldberg winning. That is wildly inaccurate. There were a number of people aware of the possibility (way more than you’re willing to give credit to (at least originally)). The evidence shows that (including or not including Meltzer). I’m sure if you look around you’ll see people discussing it and showing you their awareness.

ok, I read back if I ever said "nobody", and seems like I did... guess it was an exaggeration, yet way less than Joneses was, moreover with my clarifications... I guess I typed it in that manner... for that context. But I thought it was pretty clear that I named his win a "shocking one", which objectively was. Just because a number of people considered the possibility of it, doesn't mean that it wasn't. And I'm taking all kinds of audiences in perspective.

This argument is really silly. Not sure what we are arguing actually tbh. 

• Jmerc locked and unpinned this topic

Archived