Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XIII

Lunchbox

Yeah...I don't really get that at all. She's one of the best ever. What does "not polished" even mean? Because, I find that her rawness and lack of polish is the exact reason why she's compelling to watch. By comparison, who would you consider a "polished" performer? Nattie? She was kept in the tumbler so long that anything resembling a personality was "polished" away.

Yeah...I just don't follow Charlotte being "overrated". She has the best women's matches of anyone on the roster, and is consistent in bringing real emotion and ring-presence to those matches. Maybe she does some awkward movements from time to time...but she delivers moments on the regular (which is really what pro wrestling is here for).

Edited by Generations

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...I don't really get that at all. She's one of the best ever. What does "not polished" even mean? Because, I find that her rawness and lack of polish is the exact reason why she's compelling to watch. By comparison, who would you consider a "polished" performer? Nattie? She was kept in the tumbler so long that anything resembling a personality was "polished" away.

Yeah...I just don't follow Charlotte being "overrated". She has the best women's matches of anyone on the roster, and is consistent in bringing real emotion and ring-presence to those matches. Maybe she does some awkward movements from time to time...but she delivers moments on the regular (which is really what pro wrestling is here for).

I literally just threw in the disclaimer that Im not talking about her as a wrestler overall and here you go putting words in my mouth. I did not call her overrated as a worker. I think shes the best womens wrestler the WWEs ever bad, but it doesnt mean I cant critique a certain area of her game. Like IMO Io Shiraz executes her athletic moves way more crisper and cleaner than her.

Its not a hard concept to grasp what Im saying. She can probably do every move Ricochet can do but its not the crispest in execution. Like I saw her kip up the other day and she almost fell backwards or something. Everyone makes mistakes, but I look at her base form in the kipup compared to others and it doesnt look as good. She can do a moonsault, and hell even corkscrew! Buts its not the cleanest looking, or if it looks good in air, she misses her opponent by a mile. Ive literally heard some respected podcasters I listen to like Solomonster who suggested she stop doing the moonsault because 1. Everyone does it 2. She misses it a lot. :lol:

Again, Ill give you another example. Have you ever played basketball with a football player? Theyre some of the most athletically gifted athletes in sports. Super physical and high competitive motor. They possess the athleticism but dont really have the smoothness that someones whos craft is in basketball, or a particular skill like layups. Again, Charlotte can do everything. But I feel like sometimes she does moves just to show that she can do them. No wrestler is perfect, and again, this is NOT and inditement on her as a wrestler, just simply look at is some of the super athletic moves she does dont always look the best and others do it better.

tl;dr I dont think her form is great in a lot of the crazy athletic moves she does.

No matter what WWE puts Rusev I probably will always enjoy him for some of his UUDD moments. Like the one doing Roman super booking phase. He beat Roman in Fifa then said he probably should change his nickname on the show to Roman Reigns because no one can beat me. It was completely out of no where and hilarious. Though most people are more entertaining there.

Re: Charlotte - I'm not too keen on Charlotte at all. She's definitely a good wrestler, but I don't really agree with her being THE best woman they have, nor the fact that she's presented as such. She's just the woman that has consistently been given the biggest spotlight to show her abilities (which fair is fair, are above average).

As far as pure in ring skill is concerned, I'd rank at least Asuka and Io Shirai above her without hesitation, and probably Becky, Kairi and Candice (who I feel is at times pretty underrated) as far as me simply enjoying their matches and style more.

Her legs are like 70% of her height...ya'll gonna give her shit for having sloppy flips?

Don't do flippy moves if you can't do them properly.

Re: Charlotte - I'm not too keen on Charlotte at all. She's definitely a good wrestler, but I don't really agree with her being THE best woman they have, nor the fact that she's presented as such. She's just the woman that has consistently been given the biggest spotlight to show her abilities (which fair is fair, are above average).

As far as pure in ring skill is concerned, I'd rank at least Asuka and Io Shirai above her without hesitation, and probably Becky, Kairi and Candice (who I feel is at times pretty underrated) as far as me simply enjoying their matches and style more.

Asuka is the best for sure. As for Candice... well, I think she's overrated. :shift: lol She's too sloppy and I think she has poor psychology.

No matter what WWE puts Rusev I probably will always enjoy him for some of his UUDD moments. Like the one doing Roman super booking phase. He beat Roman in Fifa then said he probably should change his nickname on the show to Roman Reigns because no one can beat me. It was completely out of no where and hilarious. Though most people are more entertaining there.

Was he the one who face Styles in a game and kept harassing him no matter how good or bad he was doing?

Don't know if its unpopular but i think that there is no question that Jericho is the legit greatest wrestler of all time. Always stayed relevant no matter where he was on the card, even when he stepped away from the ring, always reinventing himself, and still putting on great matches at his age.

Also think AJ Styles needs to be in the top 5.

Was he the one who face Styles in a game and kept harassing him no matter how good or bad he was doing?

Don't know if its unpopular but i think that there is no question that Jericho is the legit greatest wrestler of all time. Always stayed relevant no matter where he was on the card, even when he stepped away from the ring, always reinventing himself, and still putting on great matches at his age.

Also think AJ Styles needs to be in the top 5.

100%. Jericho knows the game so well, it's insane how he's managed to constantly evolve with the business. The only time I can ever remember thinking "Man, I'd be ok without Jericho for a while" was when he was purposefully trying to be a corny lame babyface to set up a heel turn back in like 2015 or something. Dude is a genius.

Her legs are like 70% of her height...ya'll gonna give her shit for having sloppy flips?

If it looks like shit...dont do it then? Lol

Especially if half of the roster does a moonsault lol. Its not even a special move anymore unless yours just looks beautiful.

For example, everyone does a frog splash but I mark out for Montez Ford or Lio Rushs.

Don't do flippy moves if you can't do them properly.

Asuka is the best for sure. As for Candice... well, I think she's overrated. :shift: lol She's too sloppy and I think she has poor psychology.

Except she can

The entire appeal of Charlotte's top rope offense is that it doesn't look like she should be able to do it. Same as Kane used to go up for a clothesline...shit was nothing special, but people still thought it was cool. Or Taker almost killing himself whenever he goes for the tope con hilo. No one should expect Charlotte's moonsault to be the same as Ember Moon's or something...and it doesn't need to be. That's not the point of it.

Edited by Generations

shes doing mostly a backflip and not so much a splash. her feet hit the ground before the rest of her body does, thats why it looks so goofy. thats cool when she does it outside to a standing person, but to a person laying on their back it just looks really wack.

and i dont really agree with the appeal being that she isnt supposed to be doing these things. she is a slender, long-limbed woman who used to do a handspring during her entrance, her doing flippy shit doesnt at all seem far-fetched. if we were talking about Nia Jax or some shit then okay but not Charlotte.

Edited by EJ!

shes doing mostly a backflip and not so much a splash. her feet hit the ground before the rest of her body does, thats why it looks so goofy. thats cool when she does it outside to a standing person, but to a person laying on their back it just looks really wack.

and i dont really agree with the appeal being that she isnt supposed to be doing these things. she is a slender, long-limbed woman who used to do a handspring during her entrance, her doing flippy shit doesnt at all seem far-fetched. if we were talking about Nia Jax or some shit then okay but not Charlotte.

Again...it's because her legs are so long that she shouldn't be doing it...not because she's big like Nia. You said it yourself...her feet always hit first. Because she has long legs. What else can I say...that is the psychology behind it. It's a "wow" move, because her body proportions should keep her from trying it at all. Same as Taker's feet get hung up when he does that dive...

Edited by Generations

so you agree she probably shouldnt do it then? because her legs dont keep her from executing the moonsault better. you can tell she just knows how to backflip and is trying to convert that to a moonsault but they arent the same motion. she isnt committed to landing on her torso. there are enough tall long-legged moonsaulters that dont have this problem.

Edited by EJ!