Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XIII

Lunchbox

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That and he hasnt really done much since Mania in terms of in ring. I know he held the tag titles but that wasnt too memorable.

Hell, even though AJ Styles is one of the BITW, he hasnt done much in ring the past 2 years to hold that title. IMO you constantly have to defend your figurative crown. Its not just given because your history.

Sometimes I struggle to figure out if there is such thing as "too much wrestling", but I guess that depends on the fan and how much wrestling they choose to watch on a weekly basis, how much time they have on their hands and how much wrestling TV they're willing to digest before that overwhelming feeling starts to set in.

I usually watch as much wrestling as I can if it interests me enough. As of now, I strictly watch all WWE/NXT and occasionally catch up with NJPW.

This is definitely a crazy and interesting time to be a wrestling fan. I find myself saying this almost every year, but right now going forward into 2020, it seems like this will be the best years in a long time.

Edited by St★rstruck

doubt youll get much pushback for that. not as good but still underrated was the match vs Finn too.

the shitty feuds made me forget just how *censored*ing good Brock is. people always wanted the hoss battles for Brock but hes historically better with smaller vanilla midgety guys, dating back to his original run. that said, Brock vs WALTER >>>>

Edited by EJ!

The more I think about it, the more I feel like WWE should do more with their refs in terms of character. Given their role in wrestling it doesn't feel right to have them be so invisible. There are plenty of characters that could work, like Jessika Carr being new and clumsy and plus more prone to making mistakes, Rod Zapata is willing to let pretty much anything fly and will only call for DQ as an ultra last resort, Charles Robinson on the other hand is ridiculously uptight and stringent about the rules and will disqualify people for even the slight offence, or Mike Chioda is the most experienced ref of the lot and thus knows all the tricks heels like to use, it takes something special to get one over him. Each one can be used to further a story, imagine the heat Undisputed Era could get for manipulating Jessika Carr, or the pop when Mike Chioda isn't fooled by their tricks. On the other side of the coin though Charles Robinson DQing Becky Lynch or Johnny Gargano because they broke some bullshit obsure rule, costing them a title in the process could generate nuclear heat.

Would be too much of a mess.

You can have a few signature referees, like Scott Armstrong, that come in sparely and are recognized instantly, but overall referees should be referees. Once they become characters one has to question why they keep being employed to be impartial, when they clearly aren't.

The extent to which a referee can be adjusted is already dare. Different refs count pinfalls differentley, are distracted harder or recognize interference easier. It's subtle and probably not even intentional. And that's a good thing.

A Slick Johnson should be the exception, not the norm.

Would be too much of a mess.

You can have a few signature referees, like Scott Armstrong, that come in sparely and are recognized instantly, but overall referees should be referees. Once they become characters one has to question why they keep being employed to be impartial, when they clearly aren't.

The extent to which a referee can be adjusted is already dare. Different refs count pinfalls differentley, are distracted harder or recognize interference easier. It's subtle and probably not even intentional. And that's a good thing.

A Slick Johnson should be the exception, not the norm.

How are any of my examples biased? They could all work both ways. A Jessika Carr mistake could cost both a Becky Lynch or a Sasha Banks. Or two use another couple of examples, say you are doing Kofi Kingston Vs Adam Cole, if Rod Zapata was the ref he'd just be chilling in the corner while both New Day and Undisputed Era interfere, provided no one got in the ring, while if it was Charles Robinson or Mike Chioda both parties would have to be sneakier and more creative in interfering. It'd also make it a lot more consistent than having a ref count a pin after blatant interference one week, only to realise there is a big screen playing a replay of interference behind their back and using that to reverse their decision the next. It doesn't need to be over the top, in your face, just have commentary mention it once every few months. Oh god, I hope these guys studied up on the rules before this match, seeing as Charles Robinson is the ref. or Jessika Carr is new here and learning the ropes.

It must be real subtle, seeing as I haven't noticed it. You got any examples I should be on the lookout for in the future?

I disagree. To be honest if you are in an on-screen role you should have at least some minimal character traits IMO, be it a referee, a backstage interviewer, commentator, ring announcer, etc.

im not opposed to it considering this is kind of a thing in real sports especially MMA and NBA where referees are noticeably different in how each of them apply their discretion. also a thing in NJPW with Red Shoes and how commentary will always tell you how lax he is with the rules in main events. stuff like that makes sense imo. viewers can get even more invested in a title match knowing whos officiating it. they dont have to be biased or corrupt, they just apply their interpretation of the rules. also this would make the inconsistencies in officiating much easier to digest instead of wondering why this certain thing was a DQ in this match but not in this other match.

i dig it.

Jessika Carr is actually a really bad example of that being a "good idea"...because, she distracts the shit out of me with her facial expressions and theatrics. I've seen a bunch of matches where it almost feels like she's hogging the camera.

On the flip side...I like Aubrey Edwards in AEW...especially when she backed Jericho into the *censored*ing corner. I could just imagine her beating his ass with a flip-flop or something. He got scolded so bad. :lol:

Edited by Generations

I don't know what the opinion is on this person these days, but it seems to me like more and more people [than ever] are hopping on the Tessa Blanchard train, which I'm super happy to see. She's worked her ass off, come a long way, and is heads and shoulders above alot of her peers (to not have been in WWE) in terms of the total package....looks, speaking ability, confidence, workrate, etc. She has it, and it's just a bonus that she happens to be a Blanchard on top of everything else....she'd still stand out if she wasn't. There was a conversation some months ago about her maybe getting another shot with WWE, and I made a comment about how I loved her and was such a fan but that I had heard x, x, and x about her over the years. I love my parents but I can't say I have had any kind of strong guidance throughout my life, but there's a legendary Texas wrestler who used to sort of check me on social media every now and again, and I learn such a tremendous amount from him anytime he does, and I couldn't be more grateful to have had any and all interactions I've had with him over the years.

I basically learned that if I wasn't there for said incidents, I should never take anything as fact unless I hear approximately the same story from a good amount of people...ESPECIALLY in wrestling, where, who knows what political allegiances might come into play or who has a vendetta against who and is gonna spin the story a certain way. Also, dirtsheets are only gonna tell you the bad, unless there's some incredible humanitarian act that was worth noting. So, if all you keep hearing is about someone saying or doing things to get themselves in trouble, even if it's spaced out news over a couple of years, you're gonna assume the person is just a troublemaker. They aren't gonna tell you about the hundreds to thousands of fans on social media who met Tessa and talk about how kind and what a sweetheart she was. Funny how that happens, right? I guess the moral of the story is to focus more on the FACTS and on the positive things rather than just the tea all the time. Or atleast take the tea with a grain of salt at all times, unless you were there or got enough info from a reliable source to know the full story. If people pried into your lives the way you pried into theirs, what kinda dark shit would they uncover? I hope Tessa does end up in WWE sooner than later. Lord knows she's absolutely crushing it everywhere else she goes. End of article. lol

Edited by ANTI-

Tessa seems to be the best overall female wrestler in the states right now and not too many people are really touching her. I'd even argue to say that she's THE top star in IMPACT right now. The only thing that sucks is that she isn't under the WWE umbrella and isn't getting more exposure. She's one of the few women right now who has everything down packed; the look/presence of a star, the ring skills, and the promo work to match. She's good in all areas and it's crazy considering how young she is.

I hope Tessa gets to WWE asap. Hopefully she'll come over when her current contract expires.

Why? So she can stop having matches with men (most of what has got her over), and probably lose to Becky Lynch for no reason? Or be partnered up with Alicia Fox or some shit? Tessa is doing good things outside of WWE. I'm sure she has no interest in abandoning that so she can be told exactly what WWE wants her to say and do.

With 100% honesty, Tessa is almost at the point where she could win a heavyweight title and it would be believable. Throwing that away to be another woman on WWE hardly seems like a great idea to me.

Edited by Generations

The name was hardly the important part of that post.

Point is, you'd probably see a random-ass female tag team being formed with herself and someone else who didn't bring as much to the table. She might win the women's tag title once or twice, and then be relegated to wrestling dark matches with Nattie.

She's doing important work on her own. Historical and memorable work. She doesn't need the WWE to "find a place" for her on the roster. She should be the first ever female Impact Heavyweight champion. And then she should win that gorgeous new NWA women's title.

Edited by Generations