Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XIII

Lunchbox

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, The Nerd said:

I was just talking to a buddy about this the other day. So many people would die if they had to live during those title reigns. Endless crying and complaining. 

Those reigns would be boring as shit with modern filming practices. 

The only reason why those endless reigns of the "golden era" even existed (or worked in the first place), is because the taping schedule was spread out a lot further, and it was easy to do a "copy and paste" thing with the territories. You essentially did the same show every night, just in a different town...and nobody was the wiser, because each town hadn't seen the previous show or the one that followed. 

"Endless crying and complaining" is a pretty cringe thing to say about formula that simply wouldn't work in 2023.

===============================================================

And as far as Roman Reigns is concerned...the only reason why his endless reign has been as amazing as it is, is because the storyline has involved about a dozen different people and been carefully and skillfully crafted. 

Is the time right to have Cody win the belt? I could take it either way. - I love that Reigns has accomplished what is essentially a once-in-a-lifetime title reign. Truly captured lightning in a bottle. And for that reason, I wouldn't mind seeing them try to keep pushing it...just to see if it's possible to surpass some of those older reigns. - BUT...with that said, Reigns and the Bloodline are actually growing stale now. That's not even up for debate, tbh. They have organically reached a place where there isn't much left to do (unless they bring in someone like Jacob Fatu or Hikuleo)....which would be the biggest payoff for me, personally.

Honestly, what we're looking at here, is Sami getting screwed at Elimination chamber...then Sami and Kevin Owens teaming up to win the tag titles from the Usos. - Sami is definitely not going to win the big one (yet). And as far as Cody goes...like I said, either he wins it clean to have the big babyface moment (which feels a bit forced, for sure)...or, he too, gets screwed at Mania (but, it would truly need to be a debut by Fatu or Hikuleo to make any sense). 

Edited by Generations

23 hours ago, The Nerd said:

Is he the guy that’s going to draw? 

Right now he’s showing that he is. He’s moving merch. His segments pop ratings. And they just had two house shows that were doing miserable numbers but once Cody was announced — poof! The shows did all-time record gates.

On 2/16/2023 at 8:56 AM, PaperThinWalls said:

Right now he’s showing that he is. He’s moving merch. His segments pop ratings. And they just had two house shows that were doing miserable numbers but once Cody was announced — poof! The shows did all-time record gates.

Yeah, I have to googled those stats. I refuse to believe Cody is a draw. Lol

Cody has what you call the "it" factor.  He is definitely a draw, and a star. - His promos pretty much always land. His appearance is that of a star. His attires, his entrance, his theme...everything clicks. I know plenty of people who aren't fans of his...but they all acknowledge the star power he has anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 11:49 AM, Generations said:

Cody has what you call the "it" factor.  He is definitely a draw, and a star. - His promos pretty much always land. His appearance is that of a star. His attires, his entrance, his theme...everything clicks. I know plenty of people who aren't fans of his...but they all acknowledge the star power he has anyway. 

A draw? Is he?

The article I posted is full of stats. TV numbers, house show sales, merch sales ranking. Some of the stats aren’t super granular in that article, but I’m sure if you go to the directly to the sources they linked, more details would be provided.

Not sure about his past stats like his AEW numbers.

Man...dude gets a huge pop on television week after week.

The top draws for WWE right now are Roman/Bloodline, Cody, Sami, Owens, Seth.

No one should need anything "proven" to them...because, it's obvious. 

Below that shortlist of names is a longer list of people like Gunther, Ricochet, Lashley, Brock, Sheamus, Drew, Judgement Day, Rey Mysterio, etc...but the TOP draws are very obvious. They really couldn't be more obvious.

Edited by Generations

1 hour ago, Lunchbox said:

Cody Rhodes feels like the dad whos being welcomed back into the family after he cheated on mom. 

Nah, man...WWE did Cody so dirty before he left. He's only the talent he is now because he did time in ROH and NJPW and the Indys. If anything, it would be closer to a dad who got cheated on and then returned to help his family after the mom ran out on them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the fans ruined the post wrestlemania raw  wwe did to in a way by embracing the fans and acknowledging it but the. Fans heightened up the post raw wrestlemania so much that it's just overplayed now and everyone's expects it. It's not natural feeling anymore

Edited by Austin3035

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t necessarily miss Ezekiel but I think they missed the boat on Elias and almost punished him for getting as over as he did. At his peak, I was hoping he would do an acoustic set with The Rock at Wrestlemania leading to an impromptu match like what happened with Austin. Now nobody wants to see the Rock at Mania unless it’s against Roman. The Ezekiel concept kinda ran its course after the conclusion of the Owens feud. Imo it was a mistake to run an angle accusing him of being Elias that quickly. Should’ve just called him Ezekiel and moved right along for awhile until he established himself.