Unpopular Wrestling Opinions XIII

Lunchbox

So that’s all it takes to make him a “completely different character?” He’s less composed? I already admitted to that difference. “Calm and calculated” wouldn’t be my first words to describe him either. I think there are other traits that define him more than being “calm and calculated.” He wasn’t super hot-tempered like he is now, but it wasn’t like he was Dean Malenko either.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did we watch a different match? Because Dunne was exactly that in the single match (yes, single) he’s had on SD, so far. Go watch it again. He’s more aggressive than he was in NXT, but the guy broke down his opponent (worked Woods’ arm) just like he would have done in the past. He wasn’t a brawler in that match. He was a grappler working his opponent down like he has always done.

i kinda see it both ways. he’s like an unfamiliar mood of Pete Dunne, like if Pete Dunne had a percocet habit or something. like they referenced Sheamus and Ridge “knowing him” prior to his time in NXT so as corny it may be, it would help if commentary sold that Sheamus and Ridge just know how bring out this scrappy, unhinged side of him. he’s definitely MUCH different, but i don’t think he’s different enough to not be able to believably go back to how he used to be.

• 5 months later...

Shawn should’ve went over Cena at Wrestlemania 23. One last title run whether Shawn wanted to do it or not or even if it wasn’t even an option it still should’ve happened. It would’ve broken up the early boo’s Cena was getting. Still would’ve got booed but less boo’s. Also different avenues with Shawn as champion more then Cena winning AGAIN. 🤷🏾‍♂️

• 1 month later...

When it comes to the Dunne situation...

Dunne was a believable heavyweight champion. Butch is great as a support character...but, he lost believability as someone who could be in that top spot. There are plenty of people who can effortlessly flow from being world champion to tag team champion and back again...but the changes to Butch have essentially cemented him as a sidekick. Even if they change his name and gimmick back to 'Pete Dunne'...I think the damage has been done to his reputation already. (Which isn't to say that he hasn't been having excellent matches with the Butch gimmick...because, clearly he has). But he definitely lost something along the way.

Edited by Generations

I dunno if I ever saw him as someone who could be WWE Heavyweight champion. NXT champion? Yes. WWE? Idk... that's the pinnacle. I will say he's more plausible than someone like Ali or Otis, I suppose. I do agree however that the Butch presentation could only take him so far.

Speaking of Dunne's presentation. He needs to cut a few inches off his hair. It's gotten too unwieldy.

23 minutes ago, Counting Lights said:

Eh, it's just lazy to me. Like it was written specifically to get people to sing along, nothing organic about it. I love when songs get over, but this one is so lackluster.

That’s fair. Surprised Triple H hasn’t resigned Jim back for themes tbh. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2022 at 4:32 PM, Generations said:

Sasha Banks has always been mediocre, and pursuing a career in NJPW will not suddenly make her anything other than mediocre in a new venue.

That wouldn't be an unpopular opinion if it were true, it just sounds like you simply don't like her characters way of doing things, and hey. that's fine. However you can't deny that she's good at what she does bring for her fanbase when she is being used right as seen on NXT, and for a while on the main roster before things started to get inconsistent. 

So in that sense I am looking forward to seeing what she may be able to do in another promotion. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, The Nerd said:

This isn’t Disney.

Not yet it isn’t. Lol. People so desperate to have Cody beat Roman wouldn’t have survived the Bruno years or the Backlund years or the Hogan years. God forbid one guy hold the titles and be the face of the company for over 2 years. In that sense, I agree. Problem is the person on top is a heel this time and wrestling in fact IS always eventually about the happy ending, the payoff to the angle. I didn’t agree with Drew ever being the guy because I find him boring as a character, while Cody has the character work down atm. 

14 hours ago, A N T I - said:

Not yet it isn’t. Lol. People so desperate to have Cody beat Roman wouldn’t have survived the Bruno years or the Backlund years or the Hogan years. God forbid one guy hold the titles and be the face of the company for over 2 years. In that sense, I agree. Problem is the person on top is a heel this time and wrestling in fact IS always eventually about the happy ending, the payoff to the angle. I didn’t agree with Drew ever being the guy because I find him boring as a character, while Cody has the character work down atm. 

I was just talking to a buddy about this the other day. So many people would die if they had to live during those title reigns. Endless crying and complaining.